SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Name:Daniel

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

It's not on a car!

We are converting my Malibu Wakesetter to LPG Injection, this will be the first Wake Boat in Australia to run an Injected Gas system as far as we know.

I thought I'd post a link here for those who might be interested. My Uncle's Company is http://www.alltekautomotives.com.au/ if you want more info.

These boats chew a heap of juice, especially if you load them up with ballast for a bigger wake, so LPG will be awesome to reduce fuel costs. An Injection system means no comprimise in power output like the older systems! We have only just started but I will update the build journals as we progress.

Progress of the project will be documented here:
http://www.wake.com....=479015#p479015

and on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/lpgwakesetter

enjoy!

#2 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

The only disadvantage (and its a big one!) is the lack of on the water top ups?

I know when we go out for a day of skiing and wakeboarding, we take 40 litres extra fuel with us to top up during the day and if you ever run out, you just duck up the servo with the fuel drum.

It would suck needing to pull the boat out to refuel if you ran low during the day? (or if you are somewhere a bit remote)

#3 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

Petrol system is still there (duel fuel) so nothing changes in terms of being able to take a jerry can and refuel same as before. You just need to go to the servo for LPG... same goes for an LPG car anyway, so I don't see it as a disadvantage.

Edited by SHEEL, 02 October 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#4 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

hey guys I just realised you might not be able to see the pics on the wake.com forum... I'm also writing the build here:http://performancefo...ct-with-a-twist

#5 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

ahhhh, duel fuel would fix that (to a point)

Are you only converting to LPG? or doing some engine work at the same time (compression)

#6 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

no need to change anything on the engine. The new generation injection setups run their own computer, so tuning is modified to suit the gas perfectly. In most cases you can actually gain a few HP over what the engine puts out on petrol.
You could up the compression a tiny bit to take advantage of the higher equivalent RON in LPG, but there really isn't a need for it, plus you'd only gain maybe 10HP which wouldn't be worth the effort.

Edited by SHEEL, 02 October 2012 - 02:03 PM.

#7 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

You can get normal bbq gas bottles converted to have automotive LPG fittings and be used a Gerricans I believe...

What LPG injection system are you using sheel?

#8 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

The Kit is an AC Autogaz kit, comes with loom, injectors and the Computer which is a STAG-300 model.
the Tank is a Mytford 90 ltr

Edited by SHEEL, 02 October 2012 - 04:14 PM.

#9 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

It would be worth checking the marine regulations regarding the location of the LPG tank. There was a stage when the regulations made it almost impossible to have a LPG stove in a boat.

I have heard there is a company in SA that does LPG ski-boat conversions so it should not be a problem but it would be worth checking anyhow. I would also check with your insurance company.

You may as well run two LPG tanks as weight is not an issue.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 02 October 2012 - 08:27 PM.

#10 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

Jack has a big fat book with all the regs, everything is inline... most of the rules are the same as Petrol and Diesel guidelines anyway.

it would be nice to run a tank in the rear locker, there is a company http://www.ppidts.com/ that could make a custom size tank... but would cost a bit. Might be something to think about further down the line.

#11 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

The difficult part may be with complying with the rules regarding the location of the cylinder and cylinder ventilation. It is my understanding that the cylinder installation in a boat in VIC must comply with AS 5601 and AG 601 as well as the vehicle regulations.

#12 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

Both those rules refer to Non-Propulsive purposes (cooking, heating etc)

Therefore not applicable to this installation, there are other rules that do apply but I don't know what they are... Jack knows them, he is the expert I'm just standing around taking photo's!

As I mentioned most of the guidelines surrounding Engine Fuel delivery apply for all fuels, if you think about it even petrol needs adequate ventilation, measures to prevent leaks and safety measures in the event of leaks etc... Petrol should be treated with as much care as LPG, people sometimes forget that when they get all wound up about the possibility of LPG spontaneously combusting!

#13 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

Another Update...

We have finshed the Tank mounting. We have also ran the filler and service lines and shut-off/gauge wiring. But I haven't included a picture of that yet.
Mounted the vapour filters inline with the fuel rails and mounted the converter/filler and lock off onto the bracket which then in turn mounts from the engine block. It is very solid!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

The Kit is an AC Autogaz kit, comes with loom, injectors and the Computer which is a STAG-300 model.
the Tank is a Mytford 90 ltr

Congrats on being the first with such a great idea.
I would like to know more about the kits please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users