133 replies to this topic

#1 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:52 PM

I hadnt seen too much on here about the event (might be a super secret elite thing? dont know how we found out!)

But this year being the 40th aniversary of the 72 LJ's win at Bathurst in 1972, AND the 50th anniversary of Bathurst itself, Todd from Muscle Car Events organised a 10 year anniversary event of "toranas on the mountain"/

We've dragged down 2 caravans and the old boys Juniper 7/73 LJ XU-1.

Theres about 137 odd cars here, which is an awesome turn out!

Today we did a 200+ km tarmac navigational rally across country roads, winding narrow roads and about 20kms of DIRT roads. (proved that atleast a few of the XU-1 and GTR owners aren't big girls!

Heres a few happy snaps from todays events and a Few from Bathurst!

Good ol' Wayne! (2ELCS)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

PROOF!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

lunch stop

Posted Image

Carcoar dam (where we stopped for lunch)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Doesnt show well, but the car was covered in a thick dust, head to toe.

We also clipped a bird at 100km/h doing the rally, lucky it caught the top of the windscreen and the rubber mould, rather than hitting the middle of the screen or the bonnet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Kelly brothers FB?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tiny's private helicopter

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

Good pictures and summary Chris.

The Tarmac Rally was heaps fun even if the car did get a little dusty :) I was behind Dane in his amazingly restored XU1 and he didn't hold back and pushed through the dirt like everyone else.

Certainly some spirited driving took place!!

It's been a great event so far and two more days left :D

#3 _bathurst-racer_

_bathurst-racer_
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:19 PM

All these great cars and roads, good people to chat to and you still go online. :stirpot:

It was good to catch up with you Craig and I hope you remembered to say hi to Bruce C for me.

#4 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

Sorry Mark, I didn't get to see Bruce but will pass on your regards next time I see him.

Back at the hotel after another good feed and about 500kms in my XU1. Looking forward to tomorrow.

#5 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

Had to deal with 100+ emails from 2 days off work! Never stops unfotumately!

Yeah, ray did some enthusiastic driving, especially in some dirt sections (after making sure no one was behind of course! Haha.

There was also a number of dangerous drivers too unfortunately, wayne was almost wiped out a couple times by some dangerous overtaking, so were we. Shame really, was the only negative of an awesome days driving along some awesome roads.

Todds done a wicked job! You guys staying out cowra way are keen! Its a bloody long haul in here for the morning starts!

#6 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

For those who also did the "Torana The Great" in 2004, unfortunately there won't be a repeat in 2014

Barry

#7 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

Love it Chris! Great PIcs!

Looks like it would be insanely fun!

#8 _WhiteKnight_

_WhiteKnight_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

For those who also did the "Torana The Great" in 2004, unfortunately there won't be a repeat in 2014

Barry

Why not Barry????

cheers Keith

#9 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

Why not Barry????

cheers Keith

'cause I asked Todd and he said "NO" which is a bit of a let down as we all had a great time at that event run by Todd

Barry

#10 _GTR_069_

_GTR_069_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

Baz this year is a big event 50 years of bathurst hard to back up again next year support events are a premium so surely u must see it hard to back it up annually

Baz this year is a big event 50 years of bathurst hard to back up again next year support events are a premium so surely u must see it hard to back it up annually

#11 _S.L.R._

_S.L.R._
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

Great pics, glad to see the attractive lady in the last pic is wearing her TORANFEST T-Shirt !

#12 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

Great pics guys, I had planned on going in my GTR but unfortunately we were unable to finish the car by the deadline.....

#13 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:25 AM

Thanks for sharing,

Wish i could be there,will get the XU1 out again today and have a little fun around close to home.

Dont want to miss much on TV today.

#14 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:59 AM

Great pics, glad to see the attractive lady in the last pic is wearing her TORANFEST T-Shirt !

Shes a good woman isnt she!

#15 _mickeyd_

_mickeyd_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

Was eagerly watching hoping to see some of the parade lap on TV, did not see any, did it happen?

#16 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,124 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

Me to mick what happened did the xu1s go around or not

#17 _BARRY JACKPOT_

_BARRY JACKPOT_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

Nup had the rug pulled out from under us both days, not Todd's fault and everyone was really bummed. At the end of the day V8 super cars is a business and clearly we weren't part of the business plan. What can you do.

#18 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,124 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

Thats bullshit thought that was the whole idea about brockys 40year win at bathurst there would be a lot of pissed off people that drove a long way for frOck all

#19 _sprintmaster_

_sprintmaster_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

Something like that happened to us a few years ago when Shannon's used our car in there display at Indy. We were to do the parade laps at 8.30am on the Sunday but they brought it forward to 7.00am and only the officals and the people going home from there night out the night before saw us. We know that Todd put so much effort into this event and it would have been well beyond his control. You can thank V8 Supercars for it not happening

#20 _mickeyd_

_mickeyd_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

Deleted

Edited by mickeyd, 07 October 2012 - 06:00 PM.

#21 _BARRY JACKPOT_

_BARRY JACKPOT_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

I gotta say I had a good time, but none of it was due to anything that went on at the race track. It would have to be the lamest attempt at paying homage to the men who have layed it on the line at this iconic race. They had formula fords V8 utes and Porsches racing FFS, I love these classes but surely a more appropriate class of racing could have been utilized on the day, Nc springs to mind. I'm not even sure they had Muscle Car Masters on this morning as we got there late.

I was expecting a truly memorable race day but all I could see through my eyes was a big soulless money making machine ticking over. I know what you're thinking, that it's a case of sour grapes cause we didn't get to our lap of the track. But it really isn't, I know we're a small drop in the ocean of what goes on there so it isn't that.

The whole thing just felt hollow but hey that's just my take on it others may have loved it. In saying all that we had an absolute ball ( we always do ) and got a bunch of funny footage of us being us.

#22 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

Yeah, the corvettes doing the drivers lap pissed me right off. Why couldnt we just tack on the back?

todds done an awesome job with everything this week, not only has he gone out of his way to help many out, he stuck his neck and reputation on the line for us. Those who chucked a hissy fit today and drove out of the display when they were told "no parade lap", you should be ashamed of yourselves.

I hope you dont expect to be invited to any events in the future, how bloody ungrateful

#23 _tail light_

_tail light_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

I agree muscle car masters or nc would have more appropriate, but I was glued to the tv from 7 .00 waiting to see the parade and was wondering if it happend or not, I was looking forward to seeing them go round, real shame that they didn't get the chance, safe trip home fellas

#24 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

We are in a Chinese restaurant in Cowra drinking beer and having a laugh. It's what the event is about.

Great weekend and Todd as always has achieved beyond expectation.

The whole V8 Stupidcars thing is a joke anyway but crowds keep getting bigger. Must be something attractive about it but I didn't experience it. Incredibly sanitized and ignorant of the history that created it.

Congratulations to all those who travelled long distances.

Edited by CraigA, 07 October 2012 - 07:25 PM.

#25 _BARRY JACKPOT_

_BARRY JACKPOT_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

Well put Craig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users