Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

I don't think ANY hatch came factory with a black dash. :dontknow:

Edited by Statler, 26 October 2012 - 11:13 PM.

#27 _imj411_

_imj411_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

SS torana's only had silver dashes, I would not bye any SS hatch with a black or wood grain dash without checking it out thoroughly, I would say that most torana's with the wrong dashes have had very hard life's, were stolen and recovered or started life as base models not as a SS, and I think that that $1000 for a black LH SLR /L34 dash and ash tray is cheap I would not even consider selling mine for that, cheers Aaron.

Edited by imj411, 26 October 2012 - 11:42 PM.

#28 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:52 PM

What about a black S model dash, is that worth the same?

#29 _imj411_

_imj411_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:59 PM

Not without the SLR5000/L34 ashtray or full instruments, cheers Aaron.

#30 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:30 AM

don't s torana dashes have a different grain than the slr dashes?
i also think the slr's come with a "radio" tray
oh btw if it;s cut for a cd/aftermarket radio you can basicly halve the price

#31 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:21 AM

What about a black S model dash, is that worth the same?

The money is in the SL/R branding not the dash, it may rise in value if 2 SL/R restorers need a dash to complement their ashtray and happen to be bidding at the same time but if they're going the black route it'd be more likely they've started with a cheap black dash first then decided to hunt down an ashtray.

s

#32 _pinklx_

_pinklx_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:29 AM

i sold a black grain ashtray last year for what i thought was a cheap price on its own in fair but not perfect condition, $500. ive allways thought i could have gotten alot more for it. makes the ebay one kinda dirt cheap if u ask me.
btw the glove box lid and gage suround arnt realy worth bugger all, an uncut black bottom section is gold, clusters vary from a 100 thro to about 400, u see them on evil bay for more but they never sell.

#33 _Kevhaze_

_Kevhaze_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

I know it is a proper ss I got the history traced as the boss brother has all the original torana micro films from the factory. It has the proper yellow needle instrument cluster........ I just went and had a look as I have the whole dash sitting in my bedroom :) lol and I can see signs that it was silver and some one has painted black.. Bugger so my next question what silver is it? Please

#34 _pinklx_

_pinklx_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

portland grey metalic

#35 _Kevhaze_

_Kevhaze_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

Thnx mate . I will add that to the jobs to do list on the old girl

#36 _pinklx_

_pinklx_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:51 AM

rare spares make brand new inserts for the bottom section of the dash with the a/c or fan controls printed on them already also ashtrays. then u just have to paint the glove box and cluster suround

#37 _Kevhaze_

_Kevhaze_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

Yeah whoever did it didn't touch the bottom luck enough he only did the top and I have bought the ashtray. We're they a smooth dash or with grain. He put the black grain one in it

#38 _pinklx_

_pinklx_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

no the silver and the woodgrain dash was both smooth finish, then i hear were screen printed with the colour. the black grain dash is totaly differant again.

#39 _Kevhaze_

_Kevhaze_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

Ok I thought it would be smooth. I have a few dashes here so I will sand and paint one of the wood grain ones

#40 _pinklx_

_pinklx_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

dash went for $1075. not a bad effort.

#41 _Kevhaze_

_Kevhaze_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

Yeah certainly ain't a bad effort. Just think about 8 years ago a bit after I bought my torana the local wreckers gave me most of there torana dash bits. I have at least 4 white needle gauge sets all complete and didnt even pay a $100 bucks. I spose it's all getting harder and harder to find

#42 _LH8VD69_

_LH8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:38 AM

what would you sell that exact lot for then?

Sorry mate I've been away an I realise it to late now. Personally I would have separated the dash. Concentrating on the ashtray u may have got upwards of $700 or possibly more. Then the dash being it in good order can fetch between $350-550. The other black bits $80 here an there.
Cheers

#43 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:07 AM

Just think about 8 years ago a bit after I bought my torana the local wreckers gave me most of their torana dash bits. I have at least 4 white needle gauge sets all complete and didnt even pay a $100 bucks.

An SL/R instrument cluster would fetch ~ $160 and that's 20-30 years ago. I'm surprised your wrecker hasn't heard of the Trading Post.

s

#44 _pinklx_

_pinklx_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:26 AM

u would be surprised how many people think old stuff like that is rubish. i had several slr/gts dashs, steering wheels and ashtrays hq coupe chrome and other assorted rare bits all stashed in my fathers back shed, whent away for a few years and come back to find it all gone. said to dad where is my stash? he of course says oh i chucked all that old car crap to the tip. i still have nightmares about it.

#45 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

Lets just settle this for good it's been asked so many times.
LH had 2 dashes (sports models here)
SLR 3300 and 4.2 were dark woodgrain smooth finish. Instruments were white needles, early had MPH and KM/H, late were just KM/H.
SLR5000 and L34 both had Black dashes with a grain finish.

In the LX range, all sports dashes, i.e SS and SLR were silver, thats it. The instruments were orange needle and early ones had one light for the park park and brake warning in the instruments to the right, late had a seperate park brake light in the speedo.
There were no light woodgrain SLR or SS ash trays made from the factory for production.

#46 _racer8_

_racer8_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

Correct, that sorted that out, onya Red.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users