ollie

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

Hi All,

I was looking to retrim my seats out of the LX sedan and had a couple of questions.

What would be the estimated cost for a colmplete retrimming a front bench seat and rear seat?
To be tan vinyl edges with tan cloth inserts (to match the carpet and door trims). Done as close to the original fabric patters where possible.

I have a quote for ~$1600 to 1800 based the above information. Is this about right?

I was also pondering the idea of flattening off the headrests on the bench seat to create the front and rear seat match to try something different.

Note: The grey seats currently in the car are from my LH and will be going back into the LH when its finished its spray job. Original seats have large rips and are in storage.

Thoughts?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

depends on the quality of the work, if its a quick job as most shops are then its really up to you if its worth it, but if they are passionate about holdens, toranas in particular and there work is no1 then of course its worth

#3 _sjp67m_

_sjp67m_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

Paid $1250 for this for my hatch that's only supply :) Quality is amazing (cools auto trim)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

i should do a write up one day of points to look for on covers, and comparisons between factory covers and so on, you guys would be amazed at some of the differences.

This would also allow you to ask before buying covers and also study new covers when they arrive

#5 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

and because she's so modest, i'll throw in that Boomfunk recently did a complete front a nd rear seat retrim for me in Tan vinyl and brown chevron cloth.

Brilliant job ,

Ollie don't waste your time ringing around , send a PM to Cindy and get your order in.

:)

#6 derrin71

derrin71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Name:Derrin
  • Car:LX Hatchback, Holden Colorado. Mini Clubman S

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

Can't go wrong with Cindy, brilliant workmanship at a reasonable price!!!!

#7 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:35 AM

Paid $1250 for this for my hatch that's only supply :) Quality is amazing (cools auto trim)

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have seen these for sale on ebay in various colours. What would it cost to get these fitted?

#8 _sjp67m_

_sjp67m_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:41 AM

I'm not sure about a fitting cost It would vary in regards to the condition of your foam and if you are going to sandblast or do any work to the Frame....
Been warned about a lot of dodgy trims on eBay and cools auto trims were highly regarded in many posts on this forum so I went with them

#9 _Emu_

_Emu_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

I think your $1800 quote is ballpark.
I've been verbally told $600 for 2 x front seats in vinyl and about $1000 for 1 x rear bench in same from a bloke who had his trimmed somewhere in Nth Melbourne.

#10 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Try Grant Johns from Westside Car Upholstery.

I know a bloke from a holden car club with an XU1, GTR, countless brocks and a race car who had his GTR seats done for $1000. The point im trying to make is that he loves his cars and he would recommend Grant to anyone. I personally saw the seats in the GTR and they are pretty impressive. No creasing, bunching up or anything of the sort. Give him a call and have a chat. I think the catch is he works outside so he doesn't have many overheads to pay for, hence to good prices. I called him up for my headlining and he quoted me 250 so he is definitely cheap.

#11 ollie

ollie

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm really considering buying a reputable set of covers and getting a local trimmer to fit them. I was very impressed with the photos of the cools auto trims work but being in VIC and them in NSW makes it a 2 stage job (order then fit).. Or I might just bite the bullet and get a known Holden trimmer to do the lot. Trouble is that I think which ever way I go is going to cost a bit and just get it done....

I assume if I order a set of cools a local trimmer should be able to fit them for a few hundred if the seats are already in reasonable condition?

#12 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

you are MUCH better off getting a trimmer to do the lot. i have fitted more than a few sets of covers from different suppliers and ultimately all of them would have needed adjusting for a better fit.

i'm yet to see 2 torana seats the same shape :clappin:

#13 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,835 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

The local trimmer here charged me $1500 to re-trim front and back seats.

I supplied the vinyl and cloth.

Posted Image

#14 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

Mate you are out of your mind buying a set of covers and having them fitted when for a thousand bucks you get this:
Posted Image

#15 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

does he do all seats for $1000?.. any model? condition?..

i think that would be the difference, like if we could send him seats that were in poor condition and have all springs and foams replaced and all frames blasted and painted for $1000 plus retrimmed then thats a bargain

remove. supply and replace covers for an lc only for $1000

Edited by boomfunk, 13 November 2012 - 08:00 PM.

#16 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

Well my best mate owned the LC before the bloke who bought it had it re trimmed and the seats were absolutely rooted. It was pretty much a goat house so this would have had to be done from scratch. I was doubtful so i called him and got a quote to have my headlining done for $200 so seems within reason. Best to call up but he is pretty busy and from what i gather he works outside so rainy days are out but i'm sure he can do smaller things inside.

#17 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

the headlining is that supplied and fitted?.. did you get it done? its cheap $200 fitted and supplied

Yeah i know about the seats, we normaly end up fixing everyone else s fix ups lol springs hog rings together and seat frames boged and brush painted haha

#18 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

The hoodling alone cost me $ 250 jacob so did you get quoted $ 200 or $ 250 like you said in post ten sounds cheap mate and what about quality of the hoodling

#19 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

Try Grant Johns from Westside Car Upholstery.

I know a bloke from a holden car club with an XU1, GTR, countless brocks and a race car who had his GTR seats done for $1000. The point im trying to make is that he loves his cars and he would recommend Grant to anyone. I personally saw the seats in the GTR and they are pretty impressive. No creasing, bunching up or anything of the sort. Give him a call and have a chat. I think the catch is he works outside so he doesn't have many overheads to pay for, hence to good prices. I called him up for my headlining and he quoted me 250 so he is definitely cheap.

Jacob is he the guy in Footscray, can you send me his number?

#20 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

250 mate typo. But that's just for install. I was quoted $500 to install it by the trimmer i have used for the past 5 years.

#21 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

wow $500, god dam im too cheap lol,

interesting hearing the prices people pay, i cant work out $500 tho to be honest just for install, if your going on the theory of say $50 an hour.. just for instance.. that equals 10 hours to install, so yeah makes you wonder!

i charge $50 an hour to instal, most take 2 hours up to around 4-5, but i dont wagons but we arent talking about stationwagons

So maybe there hourly rate to charge $500 is alot more than $50

#22 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

I bought my hoodlining for $250 and i have been quoted $ 150 for. install which i thought was fair

#23 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

i normally charge $200 to make it them and $200 to fit them.

i also charge $300 to fit them if someone else made them (i.e the cheap ebay crap)

fitting covers is normally 4-600 depending on how good or bad the seats and new covers are

#24 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

So some work is cheap, some is not...

I was told 500 not including window removal and install... Dear i know.

#25 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

My seats were $2000, thats repair, repack, paint and recover front and rears and fitting.

Roof lining was $450 fitted.

I had the whole interior and boot done and that was the breakdown of cost, whole job was $5000.

Edited by Mort, 15 November 2012 - 01:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users