v8 in uc torana

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 _lx304hatch_

_lx304hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

can any one help me ?
when converting uc into v8 from 202 do motor reg need an engineer to sign it off?
or is it the same as when you change a lx torana from 6 to 8 you just need to get an inspection with out in engineer

any one that knows the system would be of great help to me

will call and claify tommorow other wise

thanks

#2 _LC_138_

_LC_138_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:08 AM

I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but to the best of my knowledge if that model came out with the motor you're putting in then it used to be just a change of engine number with the rego office. If you were changing to a different motor type, or one that wasn't in the car originally then it had to be engineered.

#3 _lx304hatch_

_lx304hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

that is also my understanding but due to UC not coming out with v8 im a little worrie ill need to pay for an engineer

#4 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

Give it a crack at motor rev, just fill out the change of engine number form, had it in and you'll either get a new rego slip with new engine number or a letter saying it will need to go for a run over the pits either way it doesn't cost a thing and you will get a new engine no, or a date with regency if you choose to go,

Or just keep it reg as a 6 cyl, lol it's cheaper

Good luck with it

#5 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

Ben aka UNVSM8 from these forums did exactly what you speak of and all it took was an engine swap form (from memory of what he told me anyway) but it was more to do with the fact that the car was recognised as an LX or something to that effect.
Flick him a PM and see what he says.
heres the link to his profile
http://www.gmh-torana.com.au/forums/user/4122-unvsm8/
Good luck.

#6 _lx304hatch_

_lx304hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

just sent him a msg

but thats a good point if it just states a date and year model they wont know if its a uc or an lx

cant wait till tom to go and check what year and month my uc is hope its early 88

#7 kingsly

kingsly

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

Also wally308 on the forums has done the same (sa member) uc 202 - just walk in rego engine tranfser papers and he was away ill ask him if any more info could help you out but he had no probs at all.

#8 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

When I lived in S.A., Regency Park told me then it was OK to put a Chev 350 into an HJ, as they had been in the HQ. So unless they have changed the rules, the V8 UC shouldn't be too much of a problem.

#9 _lx304hatch_

_lx304hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

kingsly

did u paint your green 4 door or buy it that way ?
i build one like that about 8 yrs ago and sold it to a bloke in mt gamiber

the uc is april 78 also so fingers crossed no issues

its not realy much of a uc any more as it has lx front and rear conversion and the dash shell is also sitting there ready to go shortly

#10 kingsly

kingsly

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

nah i bought it like that about oh 5 years ago now.
i got it from a bloke down south - hackam west , he said he got it from another bloke it was sitting in a shed for years.
Once i got it back to my place and started stripping it back alot of rust through out :(.

Ill see if i can find the number plates for itm jsut to confirm its your old one.

#11 _lx304hatch_

_lx304hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

Could very well be the one
I sold it to a close friend it was my daily driver and I got a quick freshen up while I had it as it was quiet rough wasn't done properly as I didn't wanna spend that much
Friend pestered me for yrs to buy it I told him it wasn't in that good nic it's just tarted up

Was originally sky blue white roof

Not sure ill rember the rego number to be honest

Had a small 6cyl that was air conditioned when I got it
I kept the air con tho

#12 kingsly

kingsly

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

yep pretty sure thats the one mate, under the layers of paint was blue on the doors. There was quite a few fiberglass repairs through out it.

When i got it it had a seized 253/trimatic.and some one had been bush bashing it and left all dirt/sand in the front wheel arches had rusted the sills/floor pan past the front seats :(.
But i will restore it. Back to bog stock, factory floor style. Cant wait to be honest.

#13 _lx304hatch_

_lx304hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Wow it was messed with a lot since I had her then she wasn't a great body but not that bad

I got a lh I cut up in the back yard for a uc conversion at the moment
Any parts u want cut out of the shell to asist ? Ill cut for free u just pay post

#14 _007_

_007_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:14 AM

it is ok to drop 308 or 253 in to uc torana without engineer just need 2 do the papers with the new engine no then send it to Regency 

ypyt5.jpg

#15 _Joshlx_

_Joshlx_
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:11 AM

Motor rego only recognize the month n year of build not a model so any early uc in the eyes of motor reg are the same as a late lx. I have a mate who is doing the same thing but with a 304 injected. He just walked into motor reg n paid $10 to change the engine number. This was on a car with current rego and in south australia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users