#1 rana72

rana72

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 08:20 PM

Hi guys,
I am looking to convert my LX hatch from an auto to Aussie 4 speed. Can I use the console that came with the car? Also how easy is it to fit the pedals?
Cheers Loui

#2 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 09:48 PM

yes you can use the console, just need a new surround, as for the pedals, it's not a conversion i have done, anyone else???

#3 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:58 PM

Pedals are bolt in as an assembly, but you'll also need to get the steering column plate that fits around the lower steering column, and bolts to the firewall. On autos, theres a flat round blank area to the left of the column - on manuals, this is a hole for the clutch cable/rat trap assembly to go through. You don't need the whole column, just the removeable plate from a manual.

There's also a 5/16" thread stud in the engine bay side of the firewall for the clutch assembly to bolt to. I can't remember if this is still there on the autos or not. In any case, you can drill a hole in the right location, and use a nut and bolt assembly.

Don't forget your neutral safety switch too (purple wires?? on the auto shift) - you'll need to bypass it for the manual conversion, and if you take a little more time, you can fit a hidden switch to it, and have a starter killswitch.

#4 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 June 2006 - 02:08 PM

^ I am now considerably more intellegent having read that post. Thankyou; I have wanted to know some of that sh!t for a long time.

#5 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 02:25 PM

^ I am now considerably more intellegent having read that post. Thankyou; I have wanted to know some of that sh!t for a long time.

Glad to assist :D It's always good to be able to pay back into this excellent forum.

Oh, and you're probably just as intelligent, but a bit more knowledgeable :spoton:

#6 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:00 PM

the threaded stud is still there on the auto's

#7 rana72

rana72

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:48 AM

Thanks for your help. I have heard through the grapevine about a hatch that has been rolled that I may be able to pick up fairly cheap. It is a manual & may have other bits & pieces that I can use for my rebuild. Just waiting for the guy to get back to me. It belongs to his brother in law & he's not sure if he wants to sell it or not. Here's hoping.
Cheers Loui

#8 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:56 PM

If you have an oppurtunity to get some photos of it, we can give you some advice on what it's worth and what you can get for different parts off it.

By the sounds of it, it isn't repairable. But there's more of a chance that you can buy it with a higher offer and the assurance that you can make that money back from sales of other components of the vehicle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users