#101 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

When the words "daily driver" and "budget" were used, I thought fuel economy may be a factor. Having said that, I wouldn't mind trying to get a 202 to survive at up to 30 PSI boost.

#102 _Bluejinx202_

_Bluejinx202_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

Helped a mate out year before last and got a similar engine to the eBay one above and the price roughly went...
•3.3 efi virgin engine from wrecker-$200
•cam+lifters-$400
•Head ported, block machined, pistons, rings, bearings, assembled- $4000
•EFI hardware 6 throttle kit on manifold with linkages-$3500
•Wolf 3d ecu-$1400
•wiring-$1000
•Dyno -$800
•Exhausts-$1000
Already had r/rockers, sump, r/cover, ign system from donor engine.

So, trying to shed some light on the original question- I think what's advertised on eBay is doo-able under $10000 and with a bit of self involvement and wheeling and dealing running around yourself, you'll keep the price down and enjoy the finished result alot more.
.....My 2 cents.

Edited by Bluejinx202, 29 December 2012 - 09:54 PM.

#103 _tryhard_

_tryhard_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

if you do your homework don't listen to all the dick's out there who's mate has done this and that there are all full of it. a good six sounds better and is very hard to be beat if you let yourself be riped of by all the so called engine builders who charge you big $. that don't mean you will get what you paid for a good machinist is what makes a great motor plus a little know how to assemble it properly. you need to have a good ignition system setup to suit your motor combination & you need a good oil system plenty to do here & you need a good well thought out fuel system plus most of all you need to tune it right. a good six will keep going ang going while you are having fun

#104 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

Helped a mate out year before last and got a similar engine to the eBay one above and the price roughly went...
•3.3 efi virgin engine from wrecker-$200
•cam+lifters-$400
•Head ported, block machined, pistons, rings, bearings, assembled- $4000
•EFI hardware 6 throttle kit on manifold with linkages-$3500
•Wolf 3d ecu-$1400
•wiring-$1000
•Dyno -$800
•Exhausts-$1000
Already had r/rockers, sump, r/cover, ign system from donor engine.

So, trying to shed some light on the original question- I think what's advertised on eBay is doo-able under $10000 and with a bit of self involvement and wheeling and dealing running around yourself, you'll keep the price down and enjoy the finished result alot more.
.....My 2 cents.

if you do your homework don't listen to all the dick's out there who's mate has done this and that there are all full of it. a good six sounds better and is very hard to be beat if you let yourself be riped of by all the so called engine builders who charge you big $. that don't mean you will get what you paid for a good machinist is what makes a great motor plus a little know how to assemble it properly. you need to have a good ignition system setup to suit your motor combination & you need a good oil system plenty to do here & you need a good well thought out fuel system plus most of all you need to tune it right. a good six will keep going ang going while you are having fun

All that's true to some extent, but is it going to make the power? Can you screw it together and make 300hp+ straight off the bat? Or do you need to spend the next six months on the dyno, testing cams and cylinder heads, to get that last 40hp? Sure, anyone can build a hot 202 for 10k but is it going to be just another 240hp 202 that spits off balancers?

I haven't personally used MER but everything I've heard about them has been good, and that's a refreshing change from the more usual tales of woe from people who have spent shitloads of money with "professional" builders for mediocre results. They've been building sixes for a long time, and if they can really provide a genuine 300+ hp 202 (with dyno charts) and support it with a warranty then maybe it's worth the extra expense for something that's going to produce the numbers from day one.

But back to the original question: no-one builds 202s because they are good value; horsepower-per-dollar they are a long way down the list. But if you simply like the old sixes (like I and many others do) go ahead and drop one in and enjoy it. It'll never be the fastest or cheapest but if you like 202s - as I suspect you do - then go ahead and do it. You'll have a ball.

#105 _gmlj6_

_gmlj6_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

If you want decent power from a 202 without spending big dont bother keeping it N/A. i hve a 5 thousand dollar 202 that goes 11.50s with a nitrous kit that barely passes 300 lb/hr and runs on 98. ive had more problems with the transmission than the motor. if you dont want to nurse a nitrous bottle all the time you can build a turbo motor. they make good reliable power on low boost and its always there when you want it.

#106 _Sir LC_

_Sir LC_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

Wont let me edit, but to elaborate further, i dont particularly dislike veeates like most people think i do......

Infact, i've already picked out the Shaffroff that will be going between the rails of the lj if it ever gets defected to the point i go frOck it its not on the street anymore....If my budget cant stretch to a Nelson of course......It just annoys the frOck out of me how everyone belts on about them in there standard form as if there gods gift to mankind just because they have that stupid veeate cackle. "mate, that sounds like a V8, we best crack another VB and celebrate this" Fact is in stock form there not overly great, in stock form a holen six isnt overly spectacular either though....

The only reason i particularly dislike RB's is because every frOckwit goes "omg uleh just chuck like a full sick bog stock rbdirty DET in2 it it will be like full hektik like my cousins dogs breeders brothers sisters boyfriends mates full sik vl turbo that pulls mad driffffts bro and de sluts dey love da bov uleh ey?"

Personally i quiet like the toyota J series of engines though....1j, 2j......Mmmmmmm 2j. 2j will cock its leg and piss on any 308/4 dollar for dollar once you start chasing hp....

Whats better than that?? Cubes before technology always seems to win, The BAXR6-T engines are proving rather stout, hehehehe......

Gold! That made my day - laughed my ass off!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users