44 replies to this topic

#1 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:13 AM

Well I had my first experience with a dyno yesterday afternoon..... and I'm not sure I liked it.
It started when the Hatch was placed on the dyno, which was locked.
Placed in Park so the Mech could check and adjust the timing....then the bugger jumps into Reverse!!!. Off the back of the dyno, crashing into the exhuast fume extraction box. (And a Drag car sitting off to the side...... no damage, how, I don't know. He said not to worry about it as the were not running it anymore... )Luckily the frame for that was at taillight height and that was all that smashed! No paint or panel damage. Very lucky!

Posted Image

Then the worst part of the afternoon...... I got the HP output!

Posted Image

:ZZZ: :spit:

Now I know she's just a 253 on gas, but man..... I feel like getting a 308 and working it !!!
So that's my first experience with a dyno!!!
After all the dramas, there was no charge, so I got a tune for nix!

#2 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:36 AM

Talk about lucky! It could have been a hell of a lot worse.

How did it jump into reverse??? Was the hatch strapped down correctly? :huh:

Edited by antelopeslr5000, 16 June 2006 - 06:38 AM.

#3 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:42 AM

Wasn't strapped down at all! Had just been parked on the dyno and was checking the timing....he reckons he didn't push it into park properly....I have a Hurst shifter....pig of a thing sometimes. I don't hold it against him, shit happens.

#4 _LJ308injected_

_LJ308injected_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:15 AM

Lucky, Although the car should of been strapped down

#5 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:49 AM

max power at 120kmh? doesnt seem right, unless you are running very low gearing? I gather you have a few mods that should make it better than stock?The print out shows before and after at full throttle? Red was the 1st run?
I was under the impression from the places ive visited that they only strapped down monster power cars.

#6 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 08:41 AM

Dunno what's been done to the motor before I got the car. I know it's got a pretty wild cam in it 'cos it'll idle in park/neutral at 1200, and in gear at 600, well, it'll try to die so I'm gunna bring that up a tad.
The previouis owner had a 350 chev in it and threw this in to sell it. He told me it was in his old man's Datsun sports sedan and when I registered the car in my name the engine no.s didn't match up, the engine no on the Vicroads records showed it was still in the Datsun (which amazes me, cos how could you register a Datsun with a 253 in it????)!Apart from that...... I can't tell you any more.

#7 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:30 AM

Mmm, should be pushing out a bit more than that. It is running very lean, but maybe that's normal for gas.

You only have to strap down cars for 400+ RWHP.

#8 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:14 AM

Well there's no worry about having to do that!!!

It's pityfull, I know.... :cry:
But it gets me round for $25 a week so I can't complain... being a daily driver. :clap:

Now.... maybe I should put some effort into convincing the Minister of Recreation, Sport and Finance that I need a project! I would love a 4dr (with 2 kids now) so....... :D

Edited by knoath, 16 June 2006 - 10:19 AM.

#9 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:43 AM

jeez unlucky there dick, at least it was only a tail light tho! Would be a pretty sickening feeling though!

Yeah i reckon u can pull a bit more out of that little beast! or as you said, JUST GO A 308!

#10 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:44 AM

You only have to strap down cars for 400+ RWHP.

:huh:

All cars have to be strapped down. Maybe at 400HP+ they strap them down to a further degree, but every car gets strapped down at least at the diff.

#11 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:47 AM

Knoath, at least you got the car back and can still drive it.

I have had a car fall off a dyno at full noise in top. went through the back wall of the shop. It had been on the road a total of 4 hours! Kiss that project goodbye.....

Cheers

#12 _wasted_youth_

_wasted_youth_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:46 AM

83kw... mate something isnt right.. far out you get 83 kws out of a 3 cylinder 0.8l buzz box... maybe the dyno guy didnt have any idea what he was doing,,, if he run your car off the dyno i wouldnt trust his work... he probably has a dodgy machine or dont know how to use it... peak power at 120km is strange.. One of my cars had peak power at 170km/h but it had 4.39 gears and was only stock,, hell that 5 litre put out 135kw and it had stock everything

#13 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:26 PM

Sorry to hear about the drama's and damage Dick, never a nice feeling, but it could have been much worse!

My dyno guy always puts the cars in neutral as soon as they're on the dyno. And they always get strapped down too - even low powered cars. I'm surprised to hear people talking about workshops not strapping cars down unless they make real high power. I'd be a bit anxious about that!!!

As for the peak power at 120kmh, it was probably done in 2nd gear. This is quite common due to some dyno's having limits on wheel speed.

And I tend to agree with the others that I thought it'd make slightly more than 83kw too. As a guide, my 253 made 86kw, and that is 100% dead stock, standard exhaust manifolds and original system, 2 barrell Stromberg etc. Auto's will always rob more power than a manual though too... etc...

Man looking at the dyno graph - it was running very lean originally!! Is the car driving any different since the tune???

#14 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:40 PM

Yeah, she's a fair bit smoother now, with a little more power down low. He shaved 20 thou off the metering rod to give me more flow, so it's cool.
I wish I had never opted for the single system when I shoulda payed the extra for a twin....I noticed it dropped power when I drove out the exhaust shop! Been spewin since.......
Might have to talk to YiriSS about another twin system....he knows someone out his way... supposed to be good.
May look for another donk.... really got me down now.
Still want the 4dr though.
How long till Santa comes?
I've been a good boy, honest!

#15 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:41 PM

when i got my worked 202 dynoed they didn't strap it down at all, just put choks in front of the front wheels!

#16 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:47 PM

Yeah, mine was chocked..... but went the wrong way!!!!
He he he

#17 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 02:09 PM

Yup, until your up around 400 RWHP it's just chocked front wheels. The chockes are designed in such a way, that even if the car drove over them, they then reverse under the car and provide secondary resistance, even after a failure (hard to explain), but dyno dude showed us.

Did you check your front spoiler? I'm surprised that the chocks didn't flip over backwards like in a failure and put pressure on the front air dam.

Yeah, dunno how he got it in reverse there Knoath. Most unfortunate, but at least damage is minimal.

Only time every car gets chained down is at the show pony circus events at car shows.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 16 June 2006 - 02:12 PM.

#18 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:11 PM

Yup, until your up around 400 RWHP it's just chocked front wheels. The chockes are designed in such a way, that even if the car drove over them, they then reverse under the car and provide secondary resistance, even after a failure (hard to explain), but dyno dude showed us.

I wished this was what had happened to mine but the force and "speed" it came off at it was hard to know exactly how a choke would have help it any. Seeing it just "drove" over it...

Cheers

#19 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 04:12 PM

I reckon you came out of it alright in the end. Your car came off the dyno and all you got was a broken lense (very lucky), plus you got a free dyno out of it. You'd still be pissed tho, gotta find a new taillight, plus your car didn't perform as well as you expected - always a kick in the guts.

Keep prayin, maybe something will come your way with 4 doors and a big motor!

Peace,

#20 TORLX8

TORLX8

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Name:Campbell

Posted 16 June 2006 - 05:26 PM

Geez I would be freaking if my car jumped off the dyno like that.
It dropped into reverse 1 day in the driveway and I had to chase it out onto the street and jump in it to stop it. Luckily mine didnt hit anything.
The warm 308/T350 in my hatch made 153kw at 110kph but is also geared quite low with 3.90:1.gears.
I thought it would have done better than 153kw, but he reckons thats pretty good for a 308. He reckons that is around 250hp. Would that be right?
He also didn't strap the car down, but said it was because there was no room with the exhausts running so close to the 9 inch. Didn't want to burn his straps.
Stuff his straps I say, what about my car!!

#21 _EHGIRL_

_EHGIRL_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 05:48 PM

hey knoath, not good to hear what happened, hopefully u will have better luck next time u try.

Hey brett didnt i get something like 85 with the eh? i am i dreaming? i know you beat me with the hatchback, dont know how, hehe, but yeah is that right?

#22 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:19 PM

Guys 253 pushed 165 RWHP on the dyno, yours is pushing about 105 RWHP, so plenty of room for improvement there.

183kw is approx 260 RWHP, which is pretty good going for a 308. I'm only getting 210 rwhp, and that keeps me happy enough.

Yeah, chocks don't always work, dude where we does ours has a pit in front of the dyno, and he's had a car land down in there.

I'm surprised the dude didn't realise the car was bucking in the wrong direction on the rollers when they start running it up. Anyways, can't go back in time. Just focus on the improvements. You running points ignition?

Edited by Yella SLuR, 16 June 2006 - 06:21 PM.

#23 YiriSS

YiriSS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:57 PM

dick

i would take the hatch to gas research in dandy south

when my old 308 was running around 110 kw at the rear and we only found that out when the CO's were measured, it was running pretty lean.

i was told to take it to gas research and told them what it was doing.

$75 later i got drove the car home and it was putting out 135 kw at the rear and still economical.

once i sort out this personal mess, the hatch is going back to petrol, (club plates)
so economy is no longer going to be an issue
i want to model my 383 on ultrablues 308, just bigger cubes :spoton:

still working on those tickets at this stage, sorry its taking so long, everyone wants tickets to play against those black and white XXXXX!

#24 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:58 PM

83kW or 111hp, does the car seem to go fast enough?
My 208 makes only 72kW at 3000rpm(and thats supposed to be good for a basically stock motor), its gotta be better than a six!

It dropped into reverse 1 day in the driveway and I had to chase it out onto the street and jump in it to stop it. Luckily mine didnt hit anything.

Unfortunately have been there......was having a prob with on of the uc's dying when it was stuck in reverse..............was adjusting the idle while it was in reverse......and it took off against the handbrake.............I hope i never have to move that quickly again in my life......badly bruise myself jumping into the car.......that was all.....no witnesses to bruise my ego.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 16 June 2006 - 06:59 PM.

#25 TORLX8

TORLX8

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Name:Campbell

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:08 PM

[QUOTE]no witnesses to bruise my ego

I did have a witness...this girl was walking along the street at the time. She just kept walking like nothing had happened. Probably laughed her guts out when she got around the corner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users