Possible Car Jacking Warning

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 02:47 PM

I got this in my email today
How real it is I don't know, but it just goes to show that you should always walk a circle around your car and visually check it before getting in.

start of email:
---------------------------------
Subject: PLEASE PASS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW

-----
WARNING FROM THE NRMA - PLEASE PASS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW
You walk across the car park, unlock your car and get inside. Then you lock all your doors, start the engine and shift into REVERSE, and you look into the rear-view mirror to back out of your parking space and you notice a piece of paper stuck to the middle of the rear window. So, you shift the gear stick back into PARK, unlock your doors and
jump out off your car to remove that paper (or whatever it is) that is obstructing your view. When you reach the back of your car, that is when the car-jackers appear out of nowhere, jump into your car and take off!!

Your engine was running, you would have left your purse in the car and they practically mow you down as they speed off in your car.

BE AWARE OF THIS NEW SCHEME THAT IS NOW BEING USED IN SYDNEY AND COULD SPREAD ACROSS AUSTRALIA Just drive away and remove the paper that is stuck to your window later, and be thankful that you read this email. I hope you will forward this to friends and family. A purse contains all identification, and you certainly do NOT want someone getting your home address. Especially when they already HAVE your HOUSE KEYS!!!

Loretta Peters
Dept of Police & Public Safety
Traffic Liaison Services

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
end of email

Edited by TORANR AMORE, 16 June 2006 - 02:54 PM.

#2 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:07 PM

To Verify the correctness of this ring Loretta I am sure she would be able to clarify any issues.

Cheers

#3 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:47 PM

Should always check these sites for supposed warnings that appear well intended.

http://www.hoax-slay...ng-warning.html

Alternatively, I can give Alan Evans a call if you wanted.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 16 June 2006 - 03:59 PM.

#4 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 05:26 PM

Its a straight out hoax, i have seen different versions of this from other "reliable" sources. The give away is the person who allegedly signedoff on it, "Loretta Peters
Dept of Police & Public Safety Traffic Liaison Services" There is no such department in NSW where the NRMA come from..........

#5 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 16 June 2006 - 05:45 PM

I'm with surfmaster on this one, never heard of this mob and I work for the police. What usually happens if someone wants to steal a nice late model car which is fitted with an immobiliser, they simple run into them (a little tap in the rear bumper bar). Both drivers pull over and when they get out of the cars, one of the offenders grabs the drivers keys (or threatens him/her or take the keys) and simply drives off. Pretty simple stuff unfortunately.

#6 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:18 AM

I'm with surfmaster on this one, never heard of this mob and I work for the police. What usually happens if someone wants to steal a nice late model car which is fitted with an immobiliser, they simple run into them (a little tap in the rear bumper bar). Both drivers pull over and when they get out of the cars, one of the offenders grabs the drivers keys (or threatens him/her or take the keys) and simply drives off. Pretty simple stuff unfortunately.

happened to a friend of mine. Bumped into him, they both pulled over. The wrx pulled over in front really close - my friend turned his engine off and opened his door - took the keys with him. One thing he can never forget is the sound of 3 doors opening and closing in unison - bolted for his life. Threw his keys into someones garden and ran in the opposite direction. The driver of the wrx drove after him, tried to run him over but hit the gutter (still hit my friend but not as bad as if it was a full on smash). Lucky for him someone saw it happening at let him into their house whilst calling the police. If they had followed him for another 50 metres they wouldve been at his house with his mum,dad,sister and lexus. Be careful everyone - thieves scum and low lifes

(It was a GTR R34 skyline, my friend is alright, the wrx was stolen a few days earlier and subsequently used a few small robberies on petrol stations - stole fuel on two occasions. the thieves couldn't figure out the pin for the brandt alarm system and just abandoned it. new lock barrel and key set and its sold. he now drives a honda accord euro). sorry for lengthy post

#7 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:34 AM

call me suspicious, but the problem i see with these kind of emails is that it gives dim witted low lifes more ideas because lets face it that paper idea would probably work 9 times in 10. i say car thieves should be lynched but unfortunately they seem to have more rights then the poor victims :furious:

#8 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 02:47 PM

I don't get it? Call me naive but why would someone send emails like this?
I got another one about a type of phone scam.

:huh:

#9 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 02:51 PM

:blink:
I must be naive. :fool:
I just read some stuff from that site Yella, and I still don't get it.
Why would people do this? I mean, spamming hoaxes, what do they get out of it? Nothing.
Some people really need to get a life. :<_<:

Edited by TORANR AMORE, 17 June 2006 - 02:55 PM.

#10 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 17 June 2006 - 04:43 PM

Some people really need to get a life. :<_<:

You answered your own question.

#11 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 05:26 PM

The trouble with these type of emails is that they keep circulating and get a life of their own. They get subtly changed with locations and names being altered to make them look recent.

What makes them worse is when they eventually go to some knuckledragger at a large organisation like the NRMA, the local council or the local cop shop who then forwards it to everyone in thier address book. When it comes from an official looking address, even though its not sanctioned by the organisatiion itself, they look like the real deal.

There are a number of websites that deal with these types of junk emails and give a pretty good history of each particular one.

#12 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 11:05 PM

Dunno Torana Amore, just seems to be an internet phenomena. I got suckered in by one once about a poor little sick girl with Cancer. It was a hoax as well, as I found out when I sent it to a friend that works with the Cancer Council.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users