New alloy radiator

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#26 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:27 AM

just remove the thing and see if it makes a difference
you did flush the block before fitting the rad yeah?

#27 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

I would certainly do the research in getting the cast impeller pump, but before you spend any more money, have a good look at the basics of the system, do some testing. It sounds like you had a pre-existing problem before you fitted the radiator.
Will the car get hot driving around town constantly moving? Will it get hot just sitting still in the driveway?
You originally said at 80km it gets hot after 15 minutes of driving and you said with the fans going full bore it takes ages to bring the temp back down, but is that when you pull up? The way read it you are pulling up the fans are going and slowly the temp comes back down?
If the thing keeps cool just sitting there it's not a fan issue, however you said you have no controller, I would fit a switch under the dash so if you know you're going to be stopped you can turn the fans on long before it starts getting hot. Later model cars have a low speed relay so when the speed drops the fans kick in regardless.
Get yourself one of those lazer thermometers and run it around over the hoses and radiator and block and check it against your guage as well so you can get an idea of how hot it really is getting if at all.
At the end of the day all we are doing is pumping water around an engine and radiator. You have a pump, hoses, a block and radiator. The Thermostat is basically there to get the system up to temp, removing it will not make the system work any better unless the thermostat is the actual problem.
What size is the radiator you bought? Is it a decent brand or a cheap one? Also, going bigger isn't always better as you have more cores for the air to travel through, and the water capacity isn't increased that much either. For example, going from a factory V8 Torana 2 core radiator to the factory 3 core as used in the air con cars increases the capacity by less than 200ml.

#28 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

Hi Chris,

Whilst I'm sure your setup is great, don't be too keen to knock the AU fan setup. My A9X has never had an issue with the 5 core & AU fans....ever. Even when crawling along in a Bay to Birdwood on a very hot day when others were having issues. Takes ages to heat up and then seconds to pull down again. BTW I am running a Harrop stroker and a nice head/cam setup with HM headers. Plenty to get hot under the collar about!

Like everything, it depend on how it is fitted and operated!

Cheers

I would rather walk than have Fraud part on my Holden why do you think you have had all the trouble with your car Baron its called car Karma or rejection to froreign material

#29 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

Block was THOROUGHLY flushed before radiator went on, I also fitted a TEBFA Radiator Filter too,had a look yesterday and theres only a few small rocks in there http://www.tefba.com/

Radiator is a 3 Core Alloy cheapy off of Ebay but seems ok quality. http://www.ebay.com....=item20cb68b7f9

Yes ,if im driving about normally at 60 - 80km it will get to the 95 degress after about 15 mins of driving then the fans kick on and it takes ages to bring the temp back down regardless if Im in the driveway stopped or actually still driving!.

I found yesterday the Fan Belt was slightly slack ,so iove tightened it more,I'll take the car out again do some more testing today ,if no good the Thermostat comes out for tests

Edited by 76S.L.R, 03 January 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#30 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Hi Baron,didnt mean to knock the AU fan set up .I also have, by the sound if it the same type 355 spec motor 450hp in a black car. Its just that i have seen a couple of people with the same problem with fans,now changed to .shroud & clutch fan.I also learned the hard way years ago. Cheers Chris

No worries Chris, just didn't want 76S.L.R thinking he needed to throw it all away.....well just yet!

For 76S.L.R,

There is great info posted here already and I agree with the change to the cast impeller version, however there is nothing wrong with more cores too. What might work on a race car NORMALLY travelling at warp speed where a fan is useless any way and were weight in critical, does not necessarily relate to a street car. Unless it is a standard red taxi producing stuff all power and therefore low heat byproduct.

Might be worth you trawling through this thread again and listing/answering some of the question.
Engine bore (60th?)
Radiator manufacturer?
Was the block flushed before the new radiator was fitted or a scale sock/trap fitted?
How did the thermostat test go or did you buy the one listed above (good idea?)
How is the timing?
Any photos of the setup like the fan fitting ( mine are highly modified to prevent air from being drafted from the sides i.e. flow that does not come through the radiator)
What was the setup before the big change and the symptoms?

I last bit of advice though is do one change at a time and note the changes.
Radiator replace.....no real change.
Thermostat replaced.....no real change.
Pump replaced (tin blades)...no real change.

Hmmmm...next?
Check timing is cheap.
Check thermostat is reasonably cheap.
IR heat gun is around $100 the last time I saw them for sale, maybe cheaper now on the internet.
The last GMH boxed water pump I bought was through ebay seller ""u.auto.shop.direct" but sit down before you see the price, it was well above $100 the last time I saw them advertised. I just checked and they have the later bigger bearing ones for.......sit down now..........$365.ouch!

Maybe one of the after market brands have a cast impeller? Anyone know?

Edited due to a spelling mistake........I don't want a spelling police ticket!

Edited by The Baron, 03 January 2013 - 11:54 AM.

#31 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,857 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

Yeh, agree with S pack above.
I wouldnt be ripping it apart just yet...one thing at a time.

I'm certainly no engine guru,....but if we take our time, most things are simply sorted..

remove the thermostat ( for a day or two) and see if the problem still occurs.
if yes - then it is NOT the thermostat causing issues
if no - then hey presto, you have a dodgy thermostat, problem sorted.

Another logical thing to check.....with the thermostat still removed..
Start the car from cold with the radiator cap off....is the water moving in the top rad. tank?
If yes = then it would appear you have flow, i.e. the pump is doing some work.
Rev the engine , does the flow increase? ..if yes then the pump is doing more work.
if no - then the cavitation issues refered to in earlier post might be occuring.

Hopefully they are simple , sensible quick, free checks.
regards

#32 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

I just looked at my Pump and it says GMB Japan HD04 .

Edited by 76S.L.R, 03 January 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#33 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

ha ha we have to watch out for the grammer police here too now?
the next step is to check your hoses
but one thing at a time....

#34 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

The Top Hose I just bought the other day but its a fair bit thinner than the old one I had on there?, The lower one I just looked at again ( still the old one) the only thing I can see is= where the lower hose has its largest angled bend part you can push it in by hand at that very part,the spring is still in there but its moved the coils open a bit at that part so maybe sucking closed?...

#35 _lxefi304_

_lxefi304_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

id be looking at either the water pump or the radiator. and it wouldn't hurt to check the thermostat. theres nothing wrong with AU thermos.
i know of a VH commodore that was fine with the stock radiator and overheated badly with a alloy aussie desert cooler radiator in it. then the factory radiator was fitted and fixed the problem

#36 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

ha ha we have to watch out for the grammer police here too now?

?????.......just for interest, its grammar

To the OP, you've already told us that you can feel no difference in temp between the top and bottom hoses. Im assuming that you do feel a steady flow of hot air coming from the fans, indicating that the radiator is functioning in some way.

That basically tells you that there is no problem with circulation(or that increasing circulation will not achieve much), so forget about thermostats and water pumps until you discover anything that supports the idea.

But as a precaution test what temp the top and bottom hoses are at with perhaps a heat gun. If circulation is okay, there should be only a couple of degrees of difference when it is hot and you have the fans going full and the motor doing 1000rpm.

True the water pump might be only causing a problem at higher rpm at cruise, and when you stop and feel the hoses it starts pumping okay again, temp monitor in the bottom of rad or hose is the way to go.

Couple of quests: has this motor in its present state of "mildness" ever ran at a reasonable temp and does this happen regardless of ambient temp, what are your ambient temps?

Collapsing lower radiator hose, its possible at high rpm, but you can test for this by just seeing what happens to it when you give it some rpm.

Edited by torbirdie, 03 January 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#37 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

:P

#38 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

:thebird: seriously???
thanks admiral butthead...i'll take that on board..

Edited by Quagmire, 03 January 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#39 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Always good for a dig darky, but while that old stock taxi may have produced little power, a power increase relative to heat generation would at best be equivelant to the underbonnet heat generated by something like a late model V8 Holden with a mass of accessories like air con, power steer etc. A good example to keep it close would be a VT with the last of the Holden V8's with the 220i stroker. Similar block and pump, radiator is only the same size and so is the capacity, no 5 core radiators there, the big difference is the twin thermo fans which are similar to those on the AU. This thing shouldn't be getting hot at 80kmh regardless of what type of fan you have anyway.
He has the AU fans and the aluminuim radiator. I doubt the car is making anywhere near 400HP, the 220i is roughly 300hp. I would suggest there are lots of people out there who have 308's generating a lot more HP that still have the standard cooling system with no problems.
For the record, GMB pumps are shithouse unless they have improved dramatically in the last 15 years. I know there is a company that makes them with the cast impeller, i just can't remember which company it was but I looked into it not that long ago.

#40 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Hey REDBITS, yep just a dig as I seem to recall you once finding the root cause of your 80km overheating issue was the tin impeller pump, not the 3 core radiator.

#41 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

I took the pump back off and the Thermostat,I looked all over town for a useable Thermometer but nothing of any good anywhere!!!!??. I bit the bullet and bought another Water Pump, the right one with the cast type Impeller and also one of those Hi Flow Thermostats that was suggested TRIDON TT2000-180.

The box of the new pump with the correct type Impeller says " POWERMAX" on it , Im going to go fit this new gear up tonight but unfortunately I cant test the Thermostats ( correctly)

Edited by 76S.L.R, 03 January 2013 - 06:20 PM.

#42 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,839 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

I fitted a Gates water pump to mine. Can't bloody remember what the impeller was like......

#43 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Hey REDBITS, yep just a dig as I seem to recall you once finding the root cause of your 80km overheating issue was the tin impeller pump, not the 3 core radiator.

actually, no....

http://www.gmh-toran...hl__ longwinded

#44 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

I took the pump back off and the Thermostat,I looked all over town for a useable Thermometer but nothing of any good anywhere!!!!??. I bit the bullet and bought another Water Pump, the right one with the cast type Impeller and also one of those Hi Flow Thermostats that was suggested TRIDON TT2000-180.

The box of the new pump with the correct type Impeller says " POWERMAX" on it , Im going to go fit this new gear up tonight but unfortunately I cant test the Thermostats ( correctly)

Did you try a kitchenware shop or the kitchen sect at a department store? Should be able to find a digital probe type cooking thermometer at one of those places. Reece plumbing supplies also stock digital probe type thermometers, approx $50.

#45 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

This is starting to piss me off now!....... I just tested the New so called Tridon Hi Flow Thermostat( 82 c,180 f) in boiling water straight out the kettle,poured directly onto the thermostat in a cup and it only opens up like 5mm!!!??.

I tested the standard old Tridon one again( no temp stamped but says 160A on the Pellet) and it completely opens right up,I tested both 3 times with the same results each time!?

#46 _tryhard_

_tryhard_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

Hi I have been reading this post and think you already found the problem the bottom hose if it sucks in even a little bit when it gets hot it will suck in restricking water flow this is probaly the origanal problem try the pump I would have put a 70 degree c thermostat in the earlier it opens the cooler your engine will run and I would replace the bottom hose the spring must be evenly spaced to stop the hose suking in reduceing flow

#47 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

Would a faulty Radiator Cap cause Overheating??,ive not changed it out for a long time. I gotta take that new Thermostat back tomorrow and get another one, Maybe a 70 degree one as suggested above??.

#48 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Yes, it certainly can if it's not holding pressure. Make sure you get the correct pressure rating too

#49 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

Yes, it certainly can if it's not holding pressure. Make sure you get the correct pressure rating too

What pressure rating is required for 308 Red??

#50 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,839 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

Do u have a recovery system?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users