Summernats walkinshaw crash

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#201 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

Maybe we should make a new thread about this that actually stays on topic. If you dont like the Summernats dont go, there are plenty of just as good if not better events that are alcohol free. For me personally i prefur the Powercruise events..you can actually get out on a track and drive your car and play around with other drivers without fear of running over a drunken spectator or haveing your car fondled. Powercruise > Summernats for me..i may be biased though because i rekon we have the best track for powercruise in Aus at willowbank. :3gears:

#202 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

^^^^Totally agree, this was originally about someone suffering a car owner/builder's worst nightmare having their pride & joy destroyed by someone else's negligence. I enjoy Summernats, so i attend & having never attended Powercruise, it is one event i hope to attend with my orange LH where i can use the power it makes in a safe & legal enviorment.

#203 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

After the handful of top ten cars were severely damaged, the official statement was that the security were to ensure those involved in anti-social behaviour or being drunk, were to be immediately removed from site, as we're those performing burnouts outside the burnout pad.......any number of YouTube videos show that this is no longer happening. It didn't happen the year after for gods sake.......
As for "you wouldn't walk through Kings Cross" and " you know where not to go" - but if you're walking through Circular Quay you don't expect to deal with Kings Cross problems (I think tha is the point to be made) and many DON'T know where not to go, esp. the newbies. In such a small area there should not be no-go zones, even after dark. Those controlling the site should be ensuring this. You very rarely have similar things occurring at multi- day music festivals (or B&S balls where cars tend to get thrown around at some stage hehehehe) where as much if not more alcohol, and other stuff, is consumed so why should it occur at this event.

As Mick says, Bathurst is alot cleaner than it was in the past. It just requires those in control to commit to the change.

It's obvious the event needs cleaning up.
Let's hope a death or a rape isn't the thing that causes a change.

#204 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

I had not been to Summernats for more than a decade when I took my youngest son (23yo) in 2009. Really loved some of the workmanship especially grahams KIng Cuda. Watching the driving events and the variety of cars in action was entertaining. However those are controlled events with safety measures. No matter if you are Sebastian Vettel or Ken Block ..... things can and do go wrong even in controlled situations. With the negative image of high performance cars (often seen on the news) why would any true car enthusiast want to take risks or allow skids outside sanctioned driving areas?

I mean seriously I love speed and modified cars as much as anyone, and I support events that allow people to use their cars to the max. But this let it rip anywhere anytime you want is "Just Nuts". Then in 40 degree heat with many spectators getting very drunk and acting like a yobbo's, you have to say WTF is this a car enthusiast event or just a free for all Yobbo-Fest.

It is just an image that screams "Yes it is true Hot Cars = Dickhead behaviour" and owners and supporters are just law breaking anti-social members of society.

My big thing is that owning high performance modified cars shouldn't project anti-social images. Obviously with most phones being a video camera, event organisers will need to change the rules with what in the past remained out of the press. You will never eliminate 100% of the dickwads - but feeding them alcohol is certainly not the answer. I like the idea put forward of alcohol only after say 6pm when things cool down.

As for the idea of the Summernats it's great and the driving events make for good spectator viewing.

#205 _Blackxu1_

_Blackxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Powercruise is a better event for driving the wheels off your car had so much fun in my old te Gemini with ls1. Summernats is better to get away and party with the fellas I'll take my torana next year and give powercruise a miss this year as I think steping out of a ten sec car into a 12sec car won't cut it

#206 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

and for all those who didnt go...

http://www.gmh-toran...es/#entry723862

Nice photos OrangeLJ......... Things look pretty rowdy though.... (.)(.)

#207 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

haha, only a couple sets of manky boobs, not many decent sets on show hahaha.

#208 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Maybe we should make a new thread about this that actually stays on topic. If you dont like the Summernats dont go, there are plenty of just as good if not better events that are alcohol free. For me personally i prefur the Powercruise events..you can actually get out on a track and drive your car and play around with other drivers without fear of running over a drunken spectator or haveing your car fondled. Powercruise > Summernats for me..i may be biased though because i rekon we have the best track for powercruise in Aus at willowbank. :3gears:

what's the big deal about discussing the summernats prob in this thread? Plenty of threads wander all over the place here and no comment from any one

But it seems it is only those that worship summernats are taking offence here and are looking for a way to stifle comment to the contrary, i dont think this forum has the clout to close it down.

Edited by torbirdie, 08 January 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#209 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Ice, thank you. I didn't expect anyone to see the point in that.

Mitch, if you don't see the harm in that comment, there is something wrong with you.

#210 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

Mitch didnt even write that to begin with Jacob, so jump down from the high horsie long enough to check what you are typing hey??

and seriously, HARM.... HARM.... from someones personal observation??

My sister inlaw is a lebbo (and deduced from that, you'd figure out her whole family is) but I have no trouble talking with them about the problems that their cohorts cause at various times, just like they have no trouble telling me about things that bogan westies do (giving other, upstanding bogans like me a bad name)when you take the little shit to heart, you're only ever going to get wound up and upset over nothing man, dont turn every little mention of lebbo, middle eastern, wog etc etc into a personal vendetta, its just a waste of your time and ours.

The lebbos were out in force at the nats, shirtless, bumbags the whole kit, probably outweighed the mullets and stubbies too. And you know the groups that intimidate more people and get avoided more than any others? (I'll give you a hint, its not the mulleted guys in flip flops)

Edited by orangeLJ, 09 January 2013 - 12:30 PM.

#211 _injlc304_

_injlc304_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

someone had to do it!!

http://www.gmh-toran...out-summernats/

#212 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

Ice, thank you. I didn't expect anyone to see the point in that.

Mitch, if you don't see the harm in that comment, there is something wrong with you.

Wake up

#213 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

This may be a crazy question, but does anyone personally know Brendyn? (Other than Tim) How is he going after all of this? Hopefully he could salvage the driveline and some interior parts.

This is also a big reminder to everyone to always ensure you restrain your loads correctly in the trailer/tray. It could have been a whole lot worse. It's not hard to take a little bit of extra care to avoid load travel.

Please mods, can you remove every post not about the shocking crash please.

#214 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

He is a good friend of a mate, only takes a message to find out, bit dont really think its worth blthering either of them?

#215 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

He had his car written off, and people sharing some empathy is gonna bother him? Well in time can you let him know that the majority of us can appreciate the devastation of the crash, and hope he bounces back.

Edited by LX Torry Freak, 09 January 2013 - 07:17 PM.

#216 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

He says his ok in a quote a few pages back Liam...

Now, where were we.... That other thread is boring !

#217 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

Yeah more aimed at his morale than his physical state.

Didn't read correctly, thought it read "Brendyn will hopefully be keen to build another one." Not is keen to build another.

Someone give Tim a pat on the back please.

Edited by LX Torry Freak, 09 January 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#218 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

Please mods, can you remove every post not about the shocking crash please.

People still carrying on like this thread is sacred or something.
No one died, no-one required hospitilisation, though perhaps the owner of the car has some psychological scars to deal with.

Unless you missed it Summernats is in the title of the thread, and no the crash was on a public road and had apparently nothing to do with the Summernats. Its just as ridiculous as me driving to the grand prix at albert Park, crashing my car in StKilda and reporting a "grand prix crash"

Yes, so of course people are going to be attracted like moths to a flame on both the issue of crashes, Summernats and safety, let it go.

To the person that crashed their car(if they ever venture here), I feel your pain, most likely the hours and $ you put into it aren't going to be covered by whatever the insurance companies reckon its worth and you perhaps see it as part of your life down the drain.
Guessing you will eventually get back on the wagon and look for another build/pride and joy.......but perhaps go for a Torana next time and not a Fugly VL.

#219 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

People still carrying on like this thread is sacred or something.
No one died, no-one required hospitilisation, though perhaps the owner of the car has some psychological scars to deal with.

Unless you missed it Summernats is in the title of the thread, and no the crash was on a public road and had apparently nothing to do with the Summernats. Its just as ridiculous as me driving to the grand prix at albert Park, crashing my car in StKilda and reporting a "grand prix crash"

Yes, so of course people are going to be attracted like moths to a flame on both the issue of crashes, Summernats and safety, let it go.

To the person that crashed their car(if they ever venture here), I feel your pain, most likely the hours and $ you put into it aren't going to be covered by whatever the insurance companies reckon its worth and you perhaps see it as part of your life down the drain.
Guessing you will eventually get back on the wagon and look for another build/pride and joy.......but perhaps go for a Torana next time and not a Fugly VL.

This thread isn't sacred, but as someone that has easily spent 1000 hrs on his own vehicle, if I had it written off the same day I got it registered, I'd be in a pretty rough state. In saying that if this was any car I'd have the same reaction.

As a car enthusiast, the empathy goes out to him for that. And I can imagine his relief of just offloading people. Like it or not, he is a member of our club, the car enthusiasts.

#220 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,127 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

I think everybody is forgetting cars can be replaced human lives cant sure i feel his pain because if i put that much time and money in a car i would be devastated

#221 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

Liam, Brendyn says he can use a fair bit out of the wreck. Motor, box, wheels, ecu etc and a fair bit of the interior. He's already lining up another shell to start again so luckily for the car enthusiast community he aint done yet :)

#222 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

Liam, Brendyn says he can use a fair bit out of the wreck. Motor, box, wheels, ecu etc and a fair bit of the interior. He's already lining up another shell to start again so luckily for the car enthusiast community he aint done yet :)

That's great at least he still has the faith. Can you tell him to use a VH next time though ;)

#223 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

I didn't take too much notice of who wrote what. I went off what was said prior to that comment, so I am sorry if I have misquoted anyone. However, the individual who made the comment is racist prick, and those who defend it are no better. Anyone that labels groups of individuals is part of the problem. Don't think that just because you mean no harm, that it is ok, because its not. It is very easy to throw those words around when you haven't had to put up with the pain they cause. The problem is that you, and people like you, put too much emphasis on the background of the people you claim to be wrong. It has absolutely no relevance. This is where racism starts, and this is how events like the NSW riots occur. The sooner you stop labeling groups, the sooner we won't have groups to pit against eachother.

You're obviously going to argue the point, it's all you really do. I know im not going to change your mind, these views are a part of who you are. Just do me a favour and think before you make these comments on a public forum. Now this is probably going to turn into a shit fight, and I don't want to be the one to start it just because I have been offended. Anyone that doesn't agree, feel free to PM me or start another thread if it is allowed.

#224 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Just to continue on the off topic theme!

Someone commented earlier saying this sort of topic is why they dont contribute or come on here much anymore...... Now lets be honest it is not too often that threads get shut or deleted from people abusing each other, and this thread has actually been done in a civilised fashion, proven by the fact it still exists! So really, we have actually grown as a forum!!!

Besides, its off torana topic like threads that seems to bring members back and starting to throw in their 2 cents.... And then they hang aroind a bit, probably due to those annoying notifications, or just an inkling to know who has had a go at them about their response! So it is threads like these that actually bring BACK you guys who stop contributing for whatever reason......,which is a good thing yeah?

#225 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

I would go to nats for the show, not all the bimbos and bogans trying to do the best burnout. I appreciate a car for being a nice car not something that can create the best smoke show or one that has a massive engine that isn't really made for anything but looking good and to increase the size of whats in their pants. But i understand some people appreciate this and want to keep it that way hence why i would probably only be at summernats for an hour or so looking at the cars then go home im not old and don't know much about the nats but as far as i can tell thats just the type of show it is and will probably never change, maybe it will but people keep going back there because they enjoy it so it probably won't change in the near future unless someone grows a bit of a brain.
(cool thread going miles off topic!)

As for the crash, if i was the owner i would probably kick the shit out of whoever caused it (can't see any posts saying what actualy happend.....cant be bothered going through 9 pages of what people hate about summernats to be honest)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users