Leaking Turbo 350 pan!

Just changed the pan gasket!!

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

geeze the fun never stops, I changed the Pan Gasket and Rear Extension Housing on the T350 about 2-3 weeks ago = it was fine and didnt leak a drop, since then Ive taken the car out maybe 4 times. I looked under the car yesterday and I was not impressed to see that again it was leaking and pretty badly from 2 sides of the Gasket?.

I checked the bolts and they were not overly tight nor too loose, is there some trick in getting these not to leak, the gasket and filtrer I used was just a Repco set and the gasket was the usual cork one.....

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Throw away the cork gasket and get a duraprene or farpak one

And make sure your pans not twisted

#3 _434LX_

_434LX_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

The pressed steel pans twist very easily. A cast deep pan helps too (with above mentioned gaskets)

#4 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

I'll have to buy another gasket and re- do it then, I'll try check to see if the pan is twisted? ( it may well be?) yes mine is the presseed steel one.

I'll look into these cast ones.....

Edited by 76S.L.R, 20 January 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#5 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

Im looking on ebay and just about all on there are = Polished , finned,Aluminium ones are these ok?.

Also I see there is Deep Pan ones available, would these create problems reading Tranny Fluid levels

#6 _434LX_

_434LX_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Im looking on ebay and just about all on there are = Polished , finned,Aluminium ones are these ok?.

Also I see there is Deep Pan ones available, would these create problems reading Tranny Fluid levels

There the ones, something like http://www.ebay.com....=item27ce546d6b
will do the job. And if you go for a deeper pan, the dip stick will still read just fine (just remember to put more oil in hahaha)

#7 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,002 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

Trans cooler unions, torque converter seal and dip stick "o" ring can also leak and run along the pan rail.

#8 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

Trans cooler unions, torque converter seal and dip stick "o" ring can also leak and run along the pan rail.

I just recently fitted a braided hose flexible dipstick and braided trans cooler lines with the anodised fittings= I had a look and its definately the pan gasket,GRRRR!!!!

#9 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Well Today I am NOT happy, I had another look under the car and there was a massive puddle of tranny fluid= I found out its not only leaking out the Tranny pan Gasket but also out the Dipstick Tube. I fitted one of those Flexible Braided Tranny lines and the 2 O- Rings on gearbox end can not hold the tranny fluid in !?,I'll now have to get some thicker o -rings to try get it to seal......

its like this https://shop.rocketi...oducts/RPCR5004

I drained the Tranny fluid, its new fluid( done at most 2 hours driving) and its has gone pretty dark already!?,I recently fitted an alloy radiator and braided tranny lines ,im using the bottom tank on the radiator ,I had that overheating problem for a while as per my other thread so dunno if this is why its gone dark already or the radiator cant cool the tranny fluid enough?.

#10 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

Bypass the rad and get yourself a decent cooler on it

#11 _434LX_

_434LX_
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

I used silastic between the two o-rings when I installed mine. So far so good.

And as Datto said, get a decent cooler up front.

#12 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Where the hell is the Breather Tube on the Turbo 350?,Can it be accessed while the gearbox is in the car ?....

#13 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

I currently have the same problem with the TH400 in my HJ Premier. Took it out to change the resr welch plugs and got it serviced whilst it was out. But the damn thing is leaking like a sieve now. I too thought it was the pan gasket but after careful investigation yesterday it looks like the dipstick tube and the speedo cable entry.

#14 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

I hate Auto Gearboxes now!, the bastards allways leak!!!, Im going to source up a Cast Tranny Pan( maybe the B&M Deep Pan item) and get a really good gasket for it.

I tried bigger O- Rings on the dipstick but it wouldnt push in, I ended up wrapping the area where the O- Rings are with 2 wraps of Yellow Gas Thread Tape and it went back in tight, I found the Breather on the box but it wasnt blocked up .......

#15 _434LX_

_434LX_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Or maybe silastic above the two o-rings like I stated above :dontknow:

Don't want to sound rude, but Its even written in most instructions
http://www.lokar.com...ansDipstick.pdf

Edited by 434LX, 25 January 2013 - 06:49 PM.

#16 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Lord Humungus The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:LJ GTR

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

Just be damn carefull putting silastic anywhere near an auto, Can block a valvebody & destroy it fairly quickly... And to the OP "Don't be hate'n on auto's as they Only Leak when Not Sealed Correctly"...

#17 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

I bought a Ribbed B&M Deep Tranny pan today,you get a filter extender/adaptor so the filter sits lower and the instructions say when using this it blocks off one of the Filters holes!!?? but does not hamper operation ,surely it would!?.

I dunno what to do,use the extender or just run the filter in its usual location? HELP

#18 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

The best thing I ever did with my T350 was to piss off the cheapo pressed chrome pan, and replace it with a B&M cast aluminium pan (stock depth). So much stronger & much better at sealing the gasket. Never had a leak since.

Be very careful if fitting a deep pan. I originally bought one for mine, but when I went to install it, I quickly realised it would be the lowest part of the car... and therefore prone to bottoming out on speed humps, driveways etc.... I would rather a stock depth pan (for a street car), and have my exhaust system as the lowest part. Deep pans are only really required for hard-core drag cars. But it all depends what you use your car for and how much ground clearance you have. If you have plenty of clearance, then a deep pan would be awesome.

PS. Sorry I don't know the answer to your question above, but I would be running the extender I think to sit the filter at the lower level.

#19 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

Its all fitted with the extender in place, and yeh it does certainly hang down a bit I'll have to be carefull going over speed bumps etc though theres still a bit of clearance( though it is indeed the cars lowest point now, maybe not to clever of me), I took a pic today and will try get it posted here.

I see on the fitting Instructions it says to use either B&M TRICK SHIFT ATF or FORD TYPE F FLUID instead of DEXTRON or TYPE A for some reason??, I was using the DEXTRON Fluid previously......

Edited by 76S.L.R, 26 January 2013 - 10:53 PM.

#20 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

I just measured it up and I only have 95mm clearance on that Pan, I think I have again made a monumental Cock up!, I was just thinking of the extra capacity and cooling fins as a bonus but didnt factor in that this Pan would now become the lowest point on the car,I cant return it now as its fitted up and the filter has tranny some fluid on it, so i'll have to live with it.

IDIOT!

#21 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

I decided having a tranny pan hanging down that low is too risky so I took it off and now need to try sell it anmd buy another Cast pan but at stock Depth.

Guys= with regards to Transmission coolers, is there a specific size Core that's recomended, I dont want to buy one thats too small but Im guessing it doesnt have to huge either!?.I did recently get Braided Lines for the Tranny made up and plumb them into the lower radiator tank for cooling the Tranny fluid but many people are telling me to run an external cooler again...

The Cooler I had on the LX before was huge and I didnt like it,I had it inbetween the grill and radiator,there was a sizeble gap between the tranny cooler and radiator but looking old threads guys were saying mount it up against the radiator!?. Anyone got pics of their Transmission cooler set ups?

Edited by 76S.L.R, 29 January 2013 - 07:41 PM.

#22 _434LX_

_434LX_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

An external cooler is better.
Mount it on the front of the radiator.
It should be as close to the radiator as possible.
B&M make good plate style ones that aren't expensive.

Posted Image

#23 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

find an ef/l fraurd been wrecked and remove it
cheap as chips and plentiful no need for b+m excy overpriced show car stuff for a cruzier

#24 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

I just bought another B&M Tranny pan for the T350, this one is at Standard Depth( much better) so will be fitting this up tomorrow and selling off that Deep Pan Monstosity version on Gumtree .

I am still looking at different Transmission coolers, the guy where I bought these Tranny Pans from has a Derale Transmission Cooler Kit on sale at $120 and comes with a fitting kit and the hoses with the -6 fittings on them.

He said he just uses those little cable tie type thingees that poke through the transmission cooler and radiator to hold the cooler inplace, these come in that cooler kit, I wanted to know if its ok to use these??, it will be much easier that trying to make up brackets and fit them but I duuno ive allways thought these might get movement on the radiator fins and mangle up a larger area than when initially pushed through?. Have any of you guys used this method of fitting the tranny cooler

The kit is similar to this ...... you can see those mounting tie thingees here http://www.hemiperfo...-Cooler-Package

Edited by 76S.L.R, 09 February 2013 - 04:18 PM.

#25 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

Heres a pic showing how low those B&M Deep Pan's sit!!

https://cache.gmh-to...zps5ea3db21.jpg

Posted Image

Edited by 76S.L.R, 11 February 2013 - 07:03 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users