antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:00 PM

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a Ford 9" setup that will also run the rear brake setup of a VT Commodore (keeping the Commodore stud pattern also). This is to fit under a LX Torana.

Does anyone know of a good diff place that manufactures or would be able to manufacture this setup?

Thanks in advance. B)

#2 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:49 AM

Hey antelope,

dont know too many places in London BUT something to keep in the back of your mind. The VT rear setup (and handbrake) are the bigger system then the VS and earlier. So when using the VT rear rotors etc you will need to use the VT basket setup. This will need to get modified for the ford axle tubes but I cannot see it being to difficult. See what You can do...

Cheers

#3 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:10 PM

Thanks Oldn64,

I definitely won't be getting it done in London! I'm looking for a place, anywhere in Australia, that has a good reputation of performing custom work.

Anyone know of such a place? Oh yeah, and before anyone suggests the Castlmaine Rod Shop I've tried calling them on numerous occasions with no answer or I've been left on hold and they haven't responded to the several emails I've sent them either. :<_<:

#4 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:36 PM

The thing with the VT setup is the "basket" as Oldn put it........ that houses the handbrake....... has very large bolt spacing to bolt to the axle tube
I have a crewman backing plate and there is no way I could fit it to a 9" or Commodore diff assembly

So........ what you'd probably be better of doing is have your 9" created to suit Ford rear drums
Then buy this RRS rear kit to bolt on
Its essentially VT rear brakes on a custom backing plate "basket" that makes it an easy bolt on.

http://www.rrs-onlin...kesproducts.php

#5 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:56 AM

Thanks Datto,

Looks like a good setup but will the rear basket accept VT rear disc rotors and will VT rear calipers bolt up? I've already got the calipers and DBA discs to suit a VT rear setup.

#6 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:17 AM

That kit is to use VT caliper and disc yes
They designed it that way so it was easiest to adapt to the Forrd diff
If you look at the pics the disc has 10 holes...... i.e commodore and Ford stud patterns
So fitting the discs and calipers is straight forward.
However........ they may not wish to sell the basking plates individually

#7 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 05:10 AM

Thanks again Datto for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

Presently I have a Ford 9" fitted running the original rear LX drums.

From what I can figure out, the rear disc setup from RRS will not bolt up to my current diff housing (unless the axle flange is of the same configuration i.e the bolt holes on the flange line up with the bolt holes of the RRS backing plate). Also I'm not too sure about the axles either. I know the PCD of the axles would not be correct and I'm not 100% about axle length.

#8 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 05:09 PM

Best contact RRS for fitment confirmation on your axle tubes
I believe all the Holden to VS ran the same pattern. Same as Ford I don't know (but could go measure my Commodore diff in the shed)

Diff gurus will know but.............
I vaguely remember someone saying some BW Commodore axles were right length (and same bearing) as 9"
So you might be lucky and find the right axles with the right pattern and length

#9 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:49 AM

This whole brake upgrade is just a jigsaw puzzle and it's doing my head in! :blink:

I'm still waiting for CRS to contact me about the 2" drop stub axles that suit VT caliper direct bolt up (I'm thinking by raising the stub axle 2" it may help with clearence with the AP calipers).

Then I'll have to use hub adapters to fit the Commodore discs. I'm not really sure how much this will change the offset by, maybe around 10mm?

The rear end will be OK, just alot of stuffing around with changing axles and axle flange for the backing plate to fit correctly. I'm also unsure how much this will change the offset/overall track width at the rear either?

And then there's the new master cylinder, brake lines and hoses etc. The only thing that keeps me going is that I know in the end it will be worth it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users