• Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:45 PM

what is the best fitting radiator with a 308, HQ,WB or comodore

#2 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:53 PM

HQ , HT HG all are good, dont know about WB but would suggest it is the same. I used a HQ auto unit. Commodore are real different to the above.
R

Edited by rorym, 03 December 2005 - 10:53 PM.

#3 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 06:37 AM

A hq radiator is the easiest & quickest to fit but for $300-$350 you can get a aluminium radiator out of a vs v8 s3 which is what Im using,but then you need the brackets off a vk or make your own.

#4 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 06:59 AM

Best fitting would be the hq radiator as you dont have to muck around with trimming the hoses as much as you would with a commodore radiator though.

#5 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 04 December 2005 - 01:10 PM

I like the C/dore for the fact it is a crossflow design, requires fabrication to fit though.

WB is too wide.

HQ-Z is the most simple.

#6 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:37 PM

HQ go basically straight into anything from LC to LX. i have heard of VN rads being used also

#7 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2005 - 04:05 PM

here is a (dodgy) pic of mine for a vl radiator.
custom top brackets support it foe front/back movement while the blue 25x25mm bar supports it from underneath.
if you look closely you can see 2 holes in the lower support. the radiator has dowels on the bottom of it and they just drop into rubber mounts that fit in them holes.
Posted Image

#8 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 04 December 2005 - 07:41 PM

HQ might be easy to fit in. What about when you have a engine in it, and it's got to come out? I think the comodore one is the go. So the VS, has a aluminium radiator in it? I seen a VT with an aluminium one but it was to wide. I have a VH one and is weighs heaps.

#9 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2005 - 09:46 PM

I like the C/dore for the fact it is a crossflow design, requires fabrication to fit though.

WB is too wide.

HQ-Z is the most simple.

The reasons for using crossflow or not is a basic one and is all to do with which exposes more fins/tubes to the incoming air. From a cost point of view it is also cheaper to make the rad with longer but less tubes and smaller inlet and outlet tanks.
Generally if the air opening is wider than it is tall the tanks will take up less of the available space if put on the sides. Other considerations are the nature of how the rad is mounted and what supports block the airflow on the edges etc. There is also the reported advantage that crossflow allows one to place the rad cap on the outlet tank, and this will have benefits in the rad cap not being activated when the water pump is pumping hard(at high revs), not something Ive seen in my 6cyl torry.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 04 December 2005 - 09:47 PM.

#10 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 05:29 PM

vs v8 s3 radiator in lc

#11 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2005 - 05:46 PM

thats a nice fit gtrboy, but wont work with a 6 cyl! Are there any others besides the HQ ones like later model radiators that work with a 6 cyl?

#12 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:25 PM

When I had my wild 202 in it,I had a vk taxi-pack radiator with a 16in Baco fan & it didnt even overheat on the hottest of days sitting in traffic on Parramatta Rd.Two tricks you will need to know though is :1 Angle the radiator forward just enough to fit the thermo in the front of it as a 16in wont fit with the radiator straight. :2 You will need a 80amp alternator or you will flatten the battery eventually running lights,thermo & electric fuel pump after cruiseing around in traffic at slow speeds.Hope this helps.

#13 _boynuz_

_boynuz_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:56 PM

Did you have to modify any part of the front radiator support to get the vs radiator in.
I thought it wouldn't clear the rails,
Are you using the original vt alternator or different type.
With your setup i bet it runs nice and cool

#14 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 04:15 PM

Did you have to modify any part of the front radiator support to get the vs radiator in.
I thought it wouldn't clear the rails,
Are you using the original vt alternator or different type.
With your setup i bet it runs nice and cool

boynuz,it has vk brackets & you have to take out the washers or narrow the second bar bracket bolts,then it clears.It clears by 5mm or more either side.I had a vs alt but changed to an 80-85 amp alt to make it neater with less wires.It had a solid fan & shroud but I changed it to the au fans to neaten it up & so it warms up quicker,at the moment it is turned on by switch but if you leave them on it drops below 80deg & it goes into choke mode so I have to get the computer done to turn them on/off.I still have to neaten it more & get more clearance in the centre so that I can change a fan belt easier if needed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users