MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 19 June 2006 - 04:26 PM

I have had a bit of a hiccup.... Last Saturday night, was out driving and my front wheel fell off... ripping in half my front flare.... im ok and it is only minor damage, lucky i was going only 5-10kph.... The flare bolted back on but has a split through the middle and flaked off the paint.

I have a feeling someone may have attemped to steal my wheels, loosened them then realised i had lock nuts... Cos it was only one wheel with loose nuts...

I am just amazed all i had to do was jack it up, put the wheel back on and drive home... No damage to the disc rotor or anything... Im counting my lucky stars that i wasnt going faster or the car would have been a write off.... Not a good feeling...

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is it half fixed, just re-attached... maybe put some paint on it and it will hide it enough until i have time to fix it properly...

Posted Image

i am just counting myself very lucky, as i was only going about 5-10kph it was minor damage and just a bit of a shake up, if i was going faster the car would have been a write off and me and my GF might have been injured!

Now i have no idea why they were loose, but from now on i dont take any caution...

#2 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 19 June 2006 - 04:29 PM

had the same thing happen to me quite a few years ago in a MGB funny feeling seeing a wheel pass you down the highway.

#3 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2006 - 04:30 PM

If I were you i'd go out and by a Lotto ticket, thats lucky...
Doesn't sound as bad as it could have been!

Edited by Liam.W, 19 June 2006 - 04:32 PM.

#4 _rhysandhisLJ_

_rhysandhisLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2006 - 04:59 PM

Mate that's serious shit!

Thiefs have tried to nick my car twice this year, it makes me angry these losers destroying your pride and joy.. around my locks have dents and scratches from the fools trying to break in, and once they got in (smashed a window both times) were unable to hotwire the car.. this explains the intellectual capacity of common thiefs (too dumb to get an old car started)

Death to them i say!

#5 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:06 PM

lucky hey, as long as its ok for the cruise day

#6 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:33 AM

Yeah ill patch it up so its photo worthy... just a quick sand and a little bit of paint over it, nothing fantastic but u wont notice it in photos...

Thanks guys...

#7 _age_

_age_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:32 PM

i had a mate in a vt wagon and his front wheel fell off, after he looked at it he relized his axle's teh wheels nuts onto had all snapped. he had just got new tyres so would of been teh joint he got that done at who over tightened them, but he couldnt do anything about it because they said he may of tightened himself.
so whether loose or tight look out :tease:

#8 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:47 AM

Doesnt look too bad :spoton:

i was going 70 when it happened to me

and the wheel just went right through the flare and the gaurd haha! ripped it all right out there

just jacked it up, bolted the wheel on, kicked the panel in and drove off :D tuff toranas

had to bend the dust guard on the rotor too, as it slid along on the ground on the rotor lol

#9 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:54 AM

Can happen, I think attributing it to thieves is bit of a long call. Happened to me and my mate in an LC when we was 16 on the main bridge in town. Steering started to vibrate weird. I directed traffic around us while my mate walked down the road and pick up the wheel nuts. Bolted on, went home.

#10 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:01 PM

Yeah the theives thing is just a stab in the dark as to why the bolts were loose, it was like they had just all been cracked, as i had done bout 10kays on the wheels.

Its all good now tho, wont be too hard to fix it and make it look good again.... Maybe over summer i could give it a new lick of paint!

#11 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:09 PM

Hehe, we'd only done about the same amount of K's after taking off the wheels to polish them. It must have something to do with the wheel not quite being seated properly, or some sort of crap in there that has vibrated loose after tightening the wheel nuts. Just one of those weird things where you'll never really know.

#12 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Car:1976 LX SS Hatch

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:25 PM

I had my last torry a UC hatch in to get new tyres put on and after I got the car back I had driven approx 50kms and i could feel a really bad shake coming from the rear of the car. Turned out to be that I was missing a few wheels nuts and the 2 left on there where nearly off aswell so the wheel nearly came right off.

You cant always trust a tyre shop to always do a proper job . If the wheel had come loose and fallen off only 10 mins after I noticed it, I wouldve been travelling at 100km/hr and I dont think the result wouldve been very good.

#13 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:20 PM

Happenned to my Wife 3 weeks ago in her LX Hatch, front left.
Rang up in real panic, swerved to roadside dirt missing 2 big trees.
Two studs were boken off and nuts gone on over three.
Had to dig hole to get scissor jack under car. Lucky I had been planting trees
on weekend and still had spade in boot. She drove it back to workshop and I replaced studs and away she went, minor damage to disk and backing plate

#14 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:52 PM

A friend of mine has assh0le neighbours that he fights with now and then.
One night I left his place with loose wheel nuts on the front passanger wheel. The car shaked and wobbled like crazy. Luckily I pulled over early. I'm pretty sure the wheel nuts were undone deliberately (to cause an accident). And I tighten the bgeezers out of my wheelnuts so they don't just come loose on their own and never have.
I strongly suspect those neighours as other visitors cars have been vandalised also and it all tees up with the conflict my mate has been having with them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users