19 replies to this topic

#1 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:36 PM

hello all having some difficulty here. I bought a new upper steering bearing today and attempted to change the old one. The one that sits behind the steering wheel between the shaft and the housing. I tried to take out the old bearing by tapping it around so that it doesnt move on too much of and angle. What happend was a ring of the steel which the bearing sat behind was cracked off as the bearing came out. It fractured all around and broke off. I tried again with my spare (honey pot?) and the same thing happend. Im dont think it should be breaking off but after looking at it, its seems theres no way the bearing has enough clearance to be taken out. Has anyone attempted this before? should i just put the new bearing into place and put everything back together?

HELP!! please!

cheers

#2 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:17 PM

This the bit that you are talking about?

Posted Image

They are prone to cracking here, and need to be MIGged back up (you need experience with thin metal/panel welding). I got mine done professionally as I don't stuff with things that control my ability to stop or steer. Cost about $120 to get my column rebuilt, and $70 for a donor column.

I also got pinged for a faulty steering bearing for rego, so didn't have time to stuff around with it myself.

Donor column outer also had a crack, but not as bad as mine was. It got migged. The old column is waiting for my MIG to return home.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 19 June 2006 - 06:19 PM.

#3 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:25 PM

hey yella.. nah thats not the one im talking about. Im talking about that part that bolts to that up top. where the indicator arm and studd bolts to. Theres a bearing in there where the shaft sits.

#4 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:34 PM

Feel free to copy that pic off and put some arrows on if you want. If I'd of done it myself I might be able to help you, but alas time was of the essence, gotta keep the old buggers registered, it's just easier that way.

Other alternative is to take the column down and get them to fit it, or is it still in the car? Yella remembers that involves removing prick cotter pins.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 19 June 2006 - 06:34 PM.

#5 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:36 PM

yella i think a pick will make life easier... can you host it for me?
whats you email address?

#6 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:42 PM

Click on my email tab under this message, and I'll get it. Club meeting tonight, so might not be back for a while.

#7 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:48 PM

ill give it a go

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:50 PM

see in the 1st picture the ring sitting on the ground and in the second pic its in my hand... thats broken off around that middle ring of the honey pot when i bashed the bearing out. I dont think it can come out otherwise? can i just wack the new bearing in? will it matter?

cheers

#9 LXdamo

LXdamo

Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Name:Damo
  • Car:bits here bits there.....

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:35 PM

It looks like you just knocked out the metal seal that holds your grease in the bearing.nothin to worry about.Your new bearing should have these seals already in there.
Can u see the grease in your new bearing?
if not its sealed.They just stop grease escaping and crap getting in bearing

#10 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:40 PM

nah thats not the seal... that ring has actualy broken off... its like alip over the edge that fractures right around and broke off as the bearing was forced out!!!

#11 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:43 PM

its part of the actual structure of the housing i can still put the new bearing back in... but im not sure if the part that has broken off will affect anything?

#12 LXdamo

LXdamo

Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:44 PM

Bugger
thats no good.Was the bearing really loose in where it was sitting?
sounds like your bearing has seuzed and worn into your column

#13 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:47 PM

the actual bearing itself was farked... but the housing of the bearing was in there nice and tight.

#14 LXdamo

LXdamo

Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:51 PM

i would put the new bearing in and put it back together and make sure it doesnt affect nothing.sorry i couldnt be of more help

#15 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:33 PM

Personally, I don't reckon those bearings are replaceable. When made, it looks like the die cast surround (the bit that broke off) is compressed over the bearing to hold it in place. There is no way I can see to get the bearing out without rooting the housing.

Laspy, you could try to put the new bearing in, and tap around the top of the die cast section with a ball pein hammer to get the die cast metal to fold over the top of the bearing, but be gentle about it.

#16 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:46 PM

Buy a new bearing and compare the old with the new, I think you'll find it's one side broken off the bearing housing as suggested, not off the column at all. If not consult a doctor.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 20 June 2006 - 03:47 PM.

#17 hatchssv8

hatchssv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:33 PM

Don't worry about it. the ring which you correctly point out is part of the honey pot. This ring will always break off when you change that bearing for the very first time only. Replacement bearings are available(I presume you bought one). Fit the new bearing in there and refit everything back up.
This is commonplace right up to VL as far as I am aware.

My experience, not very common for this bearing to wear out as you described. Check the rest of the column and ensure all other bits a good otherwise it will chew your new bearing sooner.

Cheers, Max

PS: Are you the owner of the white replica A9X who like to eat Hungry Jacks?

#18 to fly

to fly

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:32 PM

Laspy,
I agree with hatchssv8, I had the same thing. I believe that the metal that has come away is original factory, (original retainer). It has to be a servicable bearing, eventually any bearing will have to be replaced. So the metal that came away with removal of the original bearing, is normal. I have replaced mine about 2000kms ago and havent noticed any problems. Grease up all your indicator and ign moving parts with inhibitor (elec grease) while your in there.

#19 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:20 PM

thanks for the help... soon as im free ill give it a go. I had an idea that it was meant to be removed but its never good to see something breaking allways gets me thinking. HatchssV8 my torrie is a white lx ss it has the a9x kit so u could call it a replica a9x? hungry jacks? havnt been there for a while where are you from??

#20 _TUFF_

_TUFF_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:56 PM

I have the same problem with my Steering Column it has HEAPS of movement in it and i want to replace the bearings in it. Does anyone have the numbers off all the bearings so i can get replacments without driving all over the central coast in my mums car to find out i have to go to sydney and leave my car sitting at work with the steering column apart.

Cheers

Josh

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users