355 stroker vs sbc chev 383

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 _newellb_

_newellb_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

Hi, am wanting some feed pack on pros and cons of a 355 stroker vs a 383 sbc crate motor. Looking to put a warm street motor in my torana and need some advice

#2 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

holden 308-355 stroker can be very expensive to build using the right parts as apposed to a 383 chev which has a massive selection of parts to buy and much cheaper...

a good holden 355 engine is a very aggessive engine when built correctly in a sorted car even more nasty when fitted in torana bodies,...i've had the pleasure of experiencing both of these applications first hand and currently have one on each at my disposal both in torana's making over 450 plus hp both manual stick shifted car's

i can tell you the chevy is docile but absolutely ballistic when you lean on it..

personally i'm weary of these crate engine's as seen more than fair share run up on engine dyno's and not making the promised hp power as stated..

i would spend a bit more and have a reputable engine builder build either one for you as then you no 100% what your getting and don't get disappointed with the money you've spent..

i hope this helps

#3 _BLOWN V6HATCH_

_BLOWN V6HATCH_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

Depends what you want really, if you want the best power for dollar value, then go the Chev. No two ways about it. If you want to stick with the Holden V8 and you are prepared to fork out a bit more money for the same power then go the 355. The 383 will also be more driveable than the 355 at the same power level as more cubes tend to tame an engine down a bit. There is also the advantage of nearly 30 more cubes straight off the bat.

If you do go the Chev, buy the best heads you can afford, heads are where power is made on a Chev.

I had to make this decision a little while ago when i ditched the 6 cylinder, for me the Chev really was a no brainer.

#4 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,211 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

What has it got now? If it has a Holden V8 in it i'd go the 350ci Holden engine. If it doesn't have an engine go the 377ci Chev, or even a 350 Chev, those ZZ4 350 engines are pretty good value: http://www.summitrac.../make/chevrolet

#5 _newellb_

_newellb_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

Okay, thanks for this feed back. I've also had some advice that the ls motors are another good option and good value for money? The current motor in the car is a six banger and I'm really just after a weekend cruiser that's reliable though does have the punch when you plant your foot. 400hp would probably be plenty

I also plan to run a tremac 6 speed box and a Borg Warner diff set up. Any feed back o. This set up?

I'm not wanting to cut or modify the engine bay In anyway so want something that will bolt in as is. I've read that the chev motors can have difficulties with the extractor set up?

#6 _Duncs_

_Duncs_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

depends what you have now, if you already have a holden V8 then you already have all the accessories (alternator, maybe power steering, headers, engine mounts) which could save you a bit of coin and a fair bit of hassle. But if you're starting from square 1, the chev would probably be the best bet.

and yes, there are sets of off the shelf headers for SBC, but whether they fit or not is another issue. You'll probably have to get custom made ones.

#7 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

If you don't want to modify the engine bay don't think of the 6 speed because there is a mile of cutting and modifying to be done.

#8 _newellb_

_newellb_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

Okay, can you suggest an alternative box if too much cutting required?

Will be starting from scratch as everything has to become v8 oriented

#9 Ando

Ando

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Car:6/'76 L32 SS white & black. 9/'76 L31 SS gold. 5/'77 L31 SS Chamois. 3/'79 UC SL Deluxe hatch.
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

Tremec TKO 600 5 speed. No tunnel cutting at all but you may need the HQ v8 engine mount brackets to drop the motor 10-12mm. This will get the box higher & a better drivleline allignment.

#10 _newellb_

_newellb_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

Okay thanks for the feed back ando

#11 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

Chev is better value for power BUT requires engineers however with a holden stroker can get away with not needing one.

Holden stroker motor with vn heads,single plane built by a good engine builder will get yopu 400hp.

#12 _newellb_

_newellb_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

Yeah, it's becoming clear that there are pros an cons for both set ups. It would seem that I pay a few thousand more for 355 though there is no engineers and no cutting....just bolt in. I checked with Queensland transport and they said no problems with 308 block in replacement of 6 cylinder.

I wasn't aware about the new laws that have come in from November last year? They are checking for me, though they said any new set ups may be restricted to what the car came out originally.....ie5.0 ltr max.

As for diff I have to make decision between 9" and borgwarner. Any other suggestions? Cost wise about 1k difference in price, with top gear true track running in both. Will the Borgwarner handle 400hp?

#13 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:08 AM

Chev has the better choice of heads..which is where most of the power is, and for much cheaper than the holden engine. Chev has a better oil passage design then than the 308/304..not looking good for the ole 308/4 however! you cant always legally fit a chev without approval or mods to make it fit comfortably in the chosen car which is where the 355 has its place. Some people also prefer the originality aspect of keeping it holden.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users