Crappy plastic distributor gear snapped!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:26 PM

Anyone (Im sure there is) had the little plastic gear on the end of the distributor snap?

Couldnt have happened at a worse time, Friday arvo leaving work, just come out of the gates and the car dies.

Called NRMA, and he tells me whats wrong and i get a free tow home (aint NRMA awesome). Turns out to be a $19 piece of plastic crap.

Does anyone know where to get a steel gear? i rang around but only ONE place had one, Repco, and it was plastic (i got it anyway).

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:29 PM

Plastic gear is a common thing to break
I sell 2 or 3 a week

Now for a metal gear try Crow Cams..... they do a bronze one
Repco or other auto parts should be able to source it

Part # BG2

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:35 PM

just food for thought more than fact as i have no idea of the cam etc u talken about but some metal gears are not compatable with some cam shafts (especially where plastic was) and it may pay to ask the supplier direct before purchase as you may chew out the cam gear.

#4 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:36 PM

Try a Blue motor electronic Ign, I had a few with metal gears, they also fit a points dissy, maybe ring GMH and ask for a spare part for a blue elec dissy and see if they have it..

John

#5 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:37 PM

if no luck getting a new one,try your 'friendly wrecker' and see if they are willing to separate the steel gear from an old dizzy for a few dollars.

#6 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:39 PM

Another one is a EST dissy from a carby VK black motor, they have a blank dissy that just spins the rotor butten but the metal gear will fit you original dissy..

John

#7 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:47 PM

Try a Blue motor electronic Ign, I had a few with metal gears, they also fit a points dissy, maybe ring GMH and ask for a spare part for a blue elec dissy and see if they have it..

John

afaik all blue motors got plastic gears, electronic dizzys with metal gears would be replacements. Not sure when the plastic ones were introduced, possibly late 70s.
There should be thousands of metal ones at wreckers, AFAIK, all red,BLUE,BLACK motors use the same dizzy drive.
Believe there is merit in the idea with the cams, but fail to understand why an aftermarket cam for a holden wouldnt be manufactured to match the dizzy drive?
The other idea is that the distributor drive is easier to replace than the camshaft so best to have it suffer the wear. Having never had a cam drive fail on any old holden using metal dizzy drives, I cant say I support the idea. Plastic was most likely used just to reduce costs, the logic being 150000km should be fine, you should have bought a new car by then!

Edited by devilsadvocate, 19 June 2006 - 10:51 PM.

#8 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:50 PM

John

afaik all blue motors got plastic gears, electronic dizzys with metal gears would be replacements. Not sure when the plastic ones were introduced, possibly late 70s.
There should be thousands of metal ones at wreckers, AFAIK, all red,BLUE,BLACK motors use the same dizzy drive

Ok cool, all i know is iv had a few elec ones that had metal gears and they worked as a replacement for the plastic gear..

On another note if a plastic gear lasted 30 years befor it crumbled them maybe just a new plastic gear will last another 30?

John

#9 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:10 PM

mike_nofx is your cam/engine standard or has the cam been replaced in the last year or two.
my reasoning is that maybe it was the plastic that failed due to the cam needing a metal gear.

#10 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:02 AM

Same gear as oil pump except oil pump is steel, runs on the same gear off cam so should be no drama. Have done this numerous times. :spoton: Only reason for plastic gear is noise and weak point if dizzy seizes.

#11 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:18 AM

sweet.
cant help but comment tho when you think u might save someone some grief and some cash.
bronze and steel cannot be interchanged i think.
bronze for billit steel and steel for cast?

Edited by ALX76, 20 June 2006 - 12:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users