LC Horn Earth

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:39 PM

I dont know if this is just a problem i have, but my steering column, at the coupling, has a wire that earths one side of the column to the other. My problem is that the wire keeps on breaking where it sits in the bolt that holds the steering coupling together, hence the horn isnt earthed anymore and doesnt work. It just must twist as the wheel is turned, and eventually breaks.

Its a little hard to explain, but i was wondering if anyone knew of a better way to earth the horn, cause when i replace the wire, it just breaks in a few weeks.

Anyone?

Andrew

#2 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:14 PM

I dunno why the LC has that and the LJ doesn't... maybe it has something to do with the different columns.

I know this is probably a stupid question but how thick is the wire you are using? On my mates LC he has a really thick bit of wire on there from memory, and with plenty of slack. Its not getting hooked in the clutch linkages or something is it?

Steve

#3 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:28 PM

Sorry, dont know about the LC specifically, but your prob sounds a little strange....the wire sounds as though someone added it there as a fix, there should be enough of an earth occuring through the bearings of the steering shaft. Perhaps check how the column is mounted to the dash. Not sure if the standard coupling is completely electrically isolated by the rubber, are you using a standard coupling?

#4 _munro_

_munro_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:19 AM

draglc i had the same problem with mine all i did was get some heavy guage wire
about 4" from memory and fixed 2 washer type wire conectors then fixed them each side of the coupling
if that makes sence
cheers tom :spoton:
ps feed wire through centre of coupling not around

#5 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:18 AM

Hi Guys.

Yes, the LC has the wire & the LJ does not. Reason being is that, in the LC column the bearings are mounted in plastic top & bottom, so this insulates the column shaft from the chassis. In the LJ model the top bearing is mounted directly in the diecast column shroud & this provides an effective earth.

Try different types of wire, I find a fine multi-strand cable the best for this purpose.

Dr Terry.

#6 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:37 AM

Reason being is that, in the LC column the bearings are mounted in plastic top & bottom

That all makes sense, apart from the earliest model having plastic around the bearings.
perhaps run the wire the whole length of the shaft so that the flexing either side of the coupling doesnt put as much stress on the connectors, but im sure the other suggestions will work too.

#7 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:07 PM

LCs shared the plastic top steering bush with the HK series. Normally, they have a copper earthing strip behind the steering wheel, screwed onto the bearing side on one end, and the indicator/horn assembly on the other. The problem is usually that the screws holding the copper earthing strip either come loose, or have been overtightened in their plastic threads, splitting the thread. I believe Raresapres sell a replacement plastic unit - have a look at this

I reckon if you replace that, and are careful with not overtightening the screws for the earth strip, it will solve your problem. :spoton:

#8 _Aquarius - LC_

_Aquarius - LC_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:00 PM

G'day Andrew,
I had this problem after fitting new column bearings a couple
of yrs ago. I fixed it using the exact same method as munro ^^ :D

#9 _gm3300_

_gm3300_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:05 PM

This is how the problem was fixed on my old LC GTR, the wire was screwed to one of the column bolts, then sprung against the shaft. It was set up like it when i got the car.
grant
LC Column Fix

#10 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:24 PM

Hrm not a bad idea..

I wonder though if i can just earth it somewhere under the dash? Ill have a look on saturday and check it out..

Thanks for the help guys!

Andrew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users