_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:54 PM

Cheers dave.

#27 _Random_LX_

_Random_LX_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2006 - 08:07 PM

You must also remember that voltage will drop across a longer cable because of resistance increasing with the cable length. To minimise voltage drop use larger cables if you are that worried about it. i just thought that you should also know this as a 6mm2 cable will have more resistance than 10mm2 cable across the same length.

#28 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 11:09 PM

Umm you guys didn't get too many wedgies at school did you? :tease:

You are showing your nerdy sides.

#29 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:10 AM

i just thought that you should also know this as a 6mm2 cable will have more resistance than 10mm2 cable across the same length.

Sure that is true, but Id hardly call a wire of 6 sq mm a cable.......(point of correctness)

#30 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:50 AM

Hi devils.

I agree with you to a point, I use the word 'wire' for the small stuff & 'cable' for higher current (thicker) stuff, but where is the cut-off or is that just too pedantic.

Dr Terry.

#31 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:08 AM

Hi devils.

I agree with you to a point, I use the word 'wire' for the small stuff & 'cable' for higher current (thicker) stuff, but where is the cut-off or is that just too pedantic.

Dr Terry.

Yes, you have a point, I suppose a cable is technically two or more strands of wire twisted together.
what I was sublty pointing out was the difference between 6 sqmm and 6mm sq.

#32 davelh

davelh

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Car:74 LH SL

Posted 10 July 2006 - 05:26 PM

wire is a single core (as in building wire) and cable is two or more cores in a sheath (twin and earth, etc)
no body told me i was a nerd, oh well, ill go sit on the pile of money i make being a nerd :spoton:
cheers
dave

#33 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 05:59 PM

I use nickel antisieze and S/S bolts for my earth connections - I have never had an issue with poor earth connections.

The actual device for measuring resistance of a join is a "ductor" - Basically just a device which does the current/resistance measurement as described above, just all in one test meter - has 2 pointy probes so you can make sure you get a good connection through the surface corrosion either side of the joint you are measuirng. (Todays useless bit of trivia).

M@

#34 _Hotrodder_

_Hotrodder_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:26 PM

what I was sublty pointing out was the difference between 6 sqmm and 6mm sq.

You did? where?
DA, try not to be so pedantic about things all the time, ppl are asking simple questions and you keep making stuff sound like its really technical when it isnt. try not to be such a nerd for a change and answer the question at hand in a way that most other people can understand. Other people might have some kind of respect for you for a change if you did.

Toranamat69, I use cold-gal or zinc spray to prevent corosion on joins like attaching cable to metal surfaces, works a treat and cost effective.

#35 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:56 PM

Do I not answer questions as simply as possible without compromising accuracy(I get lots of pms from forum members thanking me having the patience to sort out problems and questions) Provide some evidence where Ive done otherwise.
Hotrodder if you read the thread carefully 6mm sq or 6sqmm wasn't in repsonse to a question, why not send me a pm if you feel this information is so important, rather than having to air your personal thoughts on myself on the forum.....as with all personal attacks a report has been sent to the moderators.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 13 July 2006 - 07:03 PM.

#36 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:37 PM

Well devil, i think you are a great knowledgable resource to this forum.

#37 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:16 AM

^ :spoton: Ill send a christmas card

#38 davelh

davelh

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:58 AM

can i have one as well
hotrodder, if you dont understand stuff - just ask
sometimes explaining something in a non technical manner can cofuse people even more
cheers
dave

#39 _Hotrodder_

_Hotrodder_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 04:22 PM

hotrodder, if you dont understand stuff - just ask

Dave, I understand it alright, Im an electronics engineer. but explaining something in a non-technical way from a technical person isnt always easy, thats why you can sometimes be confused.
DA, I wasnt trying to be offensive, just pointing out that you sometimes make things confusing to newbies, thats all. See above why. You often introduce technical words when explaining something simple. And too much info can often be confusing, I know as I used to teach classes and students would often be bamboozled with more info than they wanted, or needed. I learned very quickly that they needed the basics to start with which isnt always so easy to do. Even harder when you cant do a drawing in front of them.
Actual experiences are great examples, something we can all learn from. I often get tradies asking how I find faults in minutes or even over the phone that they spend hours working on. Its experience, and you obviously have some, so keep sharing that with us all. Too much theory and some will be scratching their heads thinking WTF.

Like you I'll continue to share my knowledge with others that ask for some help with something, or suggesting an alternative method like using zinc spray on joints as suggested in another post above.

An example is the cable Vs wire thing, its still the same stuff isnt it? copper with an insulated sheath over it..............

Oh and I guess Im not on your chrissy card list then. :huh:

#40 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 07:09 PM

Hi Guys.

I'm with devilsadvocate on this one.

What's wrong with serious in-depth technical discussion about a small item that someone thinks is trivial. I enjoy a bit of mental exercise, aside from just answering questions.

OK, maybe a simpler version to answer a question from a newby, but I think we need more guys like devils' on this forum.

Dr Terry

#41 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:58 PM

Dr Terry has made it to Devil's chrissy card list? :P

#42 davelh

davelh

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 09:43 PM

All i want is a bloody christmas card
its the only reason im here!!!
cheers
dave

#43 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 14 July 2006 - 09:46 PM

OK
Since you asked nice we'll put you on the gmh-torana official Xmas card list (cards not printed yet)

Just forward your postal address to torana (@) hi-powered.net and you might just get one

#44 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 14 July 2006 - 09:47 PM

wait til christmas and see if santa brings one :P hehe

#45 davelh

davelh

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:00 AM

:D

#46 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:14 PM

Boy, the things that happen when I go on holiday for a few weeks - I miss out on all the fun stuff :D

Going right back to the start, ALX76 has exactly the right attitude when if comes to earthing, ie that just about perfect is only just good enough. Even a cheapy $20 digital multimeter can be a big help when tracking down bad earths, or even ones that are OK but could be improved upon. I have a $600 digital meter that I hardly ever use unless I need really accurate readings, and a $20 Jaycar autoranging unit that tends to go everywhere and get used for most things, as it doesn't really matter if it gets crunched.

A couple of things to highlight when working with car electrical systems -

12 volts is not really much to play with, so every 0.1 volt you can 'save' by improving an earth is time and effort well spent, especially on the big current draw items such as starter motors, headlights and big stereos. To a lesser extent, but still important, even ignitions and engine sensors/gauges can benefit from saving that 0.1 volts too.

Cars of the Torana vintage are not really designed to be really good earths, as far as their chassis/bodies go, so don't assume for example that a good earth in the boot area is going to translate into a good earth up in the engine bay somewhere - always check voltage drop under load, and go looking for what's causing the drop. If you've got a boot mounted battery for example, measure the battery voltage with the headlights on, then go and measure the voltage at the headlights themselves - you might get a nasty surprise on how much less it is. Original Torana earthing points and cable sizes (or is that wire sizes? :rolleyes: ) are pretty average as well, and can always be improved upon. Torana dashboard and radiator support (for teh headlights) earthing for example is woeful, and very easily improved.

As has been said, when checking earths by measuring voltage drop, it's important to have a reasonable current flowing through the earth. You can measure the 'static' resistance of the joint with no current flowing, but quite often it's the high current flowing through the joint which will cause an increase in resistance - in other words, your meter set to resistance range might only measure 0.1 ohms resistance or less on a 'cold' joint, but fire up a few loads to get current flowing through the joint, and the same meter set to volts range might measure a voltage drop that equates to a significantly higher resistance.

Every part of the circuit is going to contribute something to the resistance, including the wire itself, fuses, switches, connections and relays. If we pick on the poor old headlights again, one way to thoroughly check the whole circuit is to firstly measure the voltage drop from battery earth to headlight earth, and then try to minimise it. From there, measure voltage between the battery earth and all parts of the +12V circuit, ie from the battery +ve, fusebox, headlight switch, firewall connector (if the loom has a plug & socket arrangement), relays if fitted and then at the headlight itself. Pay attention to the larger voltage drops first, and you'll probably end up with significantly brighter headlights without having to spend money on better globes.

As far as getting technical on the forum, well, I do that too from time to time. HR, I know DA tends to get stuck into the detail from time to time, but from what I can see, he always tends to start out explaining in simple terms, but does get into technical detail if the discussion is still confusing or misleading. I don't think that's a bad thing, as long as everyone can dig the right answers to the question out from somehwere in the thread. I'd rather see that than a thread slow down and stop while it still had incorrect or misleading information in it.

#47 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:50 PM

^cheers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users