LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:29 PM

I would like to bring up the good old topic of muffler choice! I was cruising around in the LX the other night and got pulled over - whilst the two coppers were really nice and seemed to love the torry, they said it was just too darn loud and that I can now expect a letter from the EPA (Oh Joy!!!)

Soooooo, it's time to quieten her down a bit. Regardless of my upcoming noise test, I've wanted to quieten it down a bit anyway. It is too noisy for cruising the streets, I'm always paranoid cos of how loud it is, especially driving it at night, if you open her up it shatters the night time silence and you know people will hear it literally km's away. Plus it's gotta irritate the neighbours, particularly on those early morning starts for car shows etc....

My current mufflers are Supercat straight-through's (but with an expansion chamber in the middle). It's a twin 2.5" system the whole way (Chev 383 V8 with Tri-Y's). I recently also had a 10" resonator welded into each bank before the mufflers.

My plan is to remove these mufflers and replace them with a good quality triple flow. So what options do I have? I'd like something that will take some noise out, but not be overly restrictive (is there such a thing?). Obviously, I want them to sound good too. Anyone have any good suggestions?

And also, what are your thoughts on performance/HP loss by switching to a triple flow after running straight-through's??? Would it really sob that much???

Any thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks all.

#2 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:33 PM

One of the good things about you and me Brett is that we always have the same questions going on - except I don't have to do any of the asking because you always get in first!! Seems I got off better than you with only a 'warning' but I'm wanting to make changes and beat the little yellow sticker.

There was a thread a couple of months back on mufflers and sound quality and I suppose this adds to it a bit because we are talking about reduction in volume as well as sound quality.

Along with Bretts question regarding triple flow mufflers I'm going to throw in 'straight through' mufflers as well. Is it possible to get a legal db level with straight throughs or are triple flows the only option?

Cheers,

#3 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:50 PM

Do they still sell those supertrap mufflers with the spin-on discs,you can use all the discs to quieten/strangle the car or take them all off for a proper straight through effect & a lot less restriction.

#4 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:01 PM

ahh Brett, the EPA again!

I am running some offset in centre out mufflers (supercat I think) and they sound good and are not too loud. I take it yours are centre in centre out?

#5 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:58 PM

walker dynomax turbos are pretty good and quiet, another one is the genie turbos as well, and hooker aero chambers. all pretty quiet and good flow.

#6 _LH SL/R 5000_

_LH SL/R 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:29 PM

I had a couple of straight through Magnaflows (2 1/4") on my car, not too loud when cruising but sent the message with the loud pedal mashed to the fire wall.

#7 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:36 AM

With my motor, running 1 5/8" extractors into 2 1/2" collectors, twin 2 1/2" system running the full length of the car over the diff, I have 2 tiny Hi-Flo cats smallest available and 2 Borla PRO XS mufflers, offset in/centre out.

Idle noise tested 86Db at tailpipes.
Don't know how loud you can have it in Vic. But 86Db is what mine is ment to be at 4,500rpm not idle. (3/4 of peak power rpm is were its measured)

Edited by LS1LX, 21 June 2006 - 07:37 AM.

#8 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:54 AM

Liam, hahaha what can I say mate except that great minds think alike! What happened when you got your 'warning' ???

makka - I believe my current mufflers are an offset style straight-through (with a chamber in the middle). To shut the chev up a significant amount, it's going to need a much more restrictive muffler I believe.

1QUICKLJ - The Walker Dynomax turbo's you mentioned - they are Lukey right? Would this be them?....

http://www.lukey.com...=CONTENT&sid=64

Nothing on the site for the link above actually describes the internal design of that muffler, I assume it is a tradtional triple flow type design (ie. up, back, up again)...
Thanks for the other suggestions too, I will look them up next.... but have thinking of possibly trying some Lukey's.

LS1LX - thanks for the info too - WOW 86dB is super quiet! In Vic we are allowed 96dB, and my car is WAAAAAY over that. You're running an injected motor right, maybe that's half the reason why you've been able to get yours down so far. Will suss out those Borla mufflers though too...

Cheers all, keep the comments coming!

#9 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:56 AM

D'oh, that above link didn't go where I wanted it to. Just click 'Products' and then 'Turbo Muffler'....

#10 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:43 PM

Nothing serious mate, cop turned right, I turned left with a bit of go juice. I parked up and he had turned around and pulled up as I was walking away from the car, just stuck his head out the window and said I should make some changes :)

86db at idle is not what I would have called quiet Brett, because when taken up to the 3/4 of max RPM it would be way above the legal 96db, just like ours are, Seeing it is measured at 3/4, thats where its important to be under the 96db.

According to the Lukey site (under advice, explaining muffler designs), the glass packed straight throughs offer a better result than the triple flows, and will obviously have better flow as well I was originally going for a Magnaflow offset in/out which are glass packed, I was told from several sources they offered the best noise restriction. Different exhaust guy ended up doing the job so I ended up with the SuperCats offset in/out.

Interesting thing I noticed on the Lukey site as well was in regard to the muffler size, bigger equals quieter, my mufflers are really quite small, being only about 8" wide and maybe 12" long.

Peace,

Edit: Try this site Brett for some info on the DynoMax and MagnaFlow http://www.a-1perfor...flers/index.cfm

Edited by Liam, 21 June 2006 - 04:48 PM.

#11 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 05:09 PM

Whoops, yeah 86dB at idle is loud, I misread that & didn't twig that was at idle.

Thanks for the other link too, will have read of it when I get a chance.

As for the glasspacking - I thought our Supercats were glass-pack too???? Maybe not....

One bloke I spoke with today said he likes the Redback triple flows - said they would be a lot quieter, but still good on performance. And they are one of the better flowing triple flows around...

The research continues... I think I'm going to buy myself a dB meter from Dick Smith. Even if it's not dead-accurate, it will give a good indication, then I can play around :)

#12 _coupe202_

_coupe202_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2006 - 05:30 PM

why not try hooker mufflers.

#13 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:58 PM

Yeah a few people keep suggesting the Hooker mufflers. I found a pic of what they look like on the inside:

http://www.vpw.com.a...6&PrdGrpID=2781

Might call VPW tomorrow and get some info on them. Are they a quiet muffler? I reckon they would still make a fair bit of noise???

#14 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:36 PM

Yeah old cars are 96Db at 3/4 rpm, but my engine is ment to be 86Db as its 2001 model engine.

#15 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:33 AM

Interesting topic.... I have heard good things about Redbacks..

Are you looking to just pass the EPA, then fit something thats quieter, not get as much attention but still maybe over the limit a little bit???

Cos i think its only becuase atm ur car is really F-ing loud which draws unwanted attention to you, if it was just a little bit over they prob would let you slide a lot of the time....

p.s When we going for a spin next?

#16 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:58 AM

FWIW, in my experience noise reduction is directly related to volume, ie. the bigger the volume of the muffler the quieter it will be (check out the rear mufflers on most modern cars). If you have the room I highly recommend straight thru truck mufflers (easy to say when you own a tonner - heaps of room !)

If the muffler you are currently using is the Lukey (or redback copy) I reckon they are crap. I removed these (2 of 2.5") and replaced them with the Walker Super Turbo (also 2 of but in 2.25" ) and picked up a tenth, and heaps quieter. I used to swear by the Lukey, but paint used to always burn away from the middle of the muffler (where the expansion chamber is). That got me thinking that it was obviously a large restriction (gases getting confused). Also removing the Lukey equipped exhaust and running open pipes gained me .25 sec ET and 2 MPH (too big a difference). I have also used a single 2.5" Super Turbo on a 12 sec 308, removing it had no effect on ET or MPH, despite losing about 40Kg of weight.

The Hookers sound and flow great, but are not the quietest. Perhaps they would work OK in association with what you have. A mate has a 12 sec SBC and runs twin 3" to the diff with the Hookers. Sounds great and goes as well as open pipes. For street use he bolts on a pair of 2" press bent tail pipes with resonators!! This knocks heaps of noise out of it and still retains drivability. Won't rev past 5000rpm though !!

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

#17 _Lostit_

_Lostit_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:55 AM

Only thing i can recommend IS go to a good exhaust place that has good reputation for doing exhaust and tell me what you want.

As for restritive and things that bullshit for streetcars.. if you spent the money on the correct stuff it will go just as fast as with full pipes on.

As formyself with the 400SBC im running 13/4 primaries into 1 .. 3" dual pipes all the way with custom mufflers made up .. seems to muffler the motor well apart from motor noise itself .And as for power lose with pipes on or without Honestly i reckon the motor revs more cleanly with the pipes on then without.
Only reason i take em off at drags is sounds soo mush TUFFER.

Anyway back to the garage !

#18 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:57 AM

Matty - what you said are my thoughts EXACTLY. You couldn't have summed it up any better. I want to get it down under the 96dB to pass the noise test, and from then onwards run a system that is quieter than what I have at the moment, but if it's still over the limit a tiny bit, at least it won't be drawing the attention like it does at the moment (A happy compromise). As for going for a spin - yep we must go out sometime soon 4 sure! I still need to take makka for a ride too!

Struggler and Lostit, thanks for the thoughts guys.

Struggler - interesting what you mentioned about the heat/paint burn off in the middle of the mufflers around the expansion chamber - I noticed mine are doing this when it was up on a hoist the other week (only slightly, but definitely noticeable). These are SuperCat mufflers. I am definitely getting ridding of them now.

Lostit - with my previous exhaust system, I too also found it felt better and smoother & revved a lot cleaner with the system fitted (as opposed to open pipes), and open pipes made no difference to quarter mile time at all. I haven't had a chance to run my new setup open pipes though just yet.

Ok, it looks like I'm now chasing the biggest possible mufflers I can fit.

Cheers again all, this is great stuff to read...

#19 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:19 PM

Also one more question Struggler - the Walker Super Turbo's you mentioned - what design are these mufflers? (triple flow or still straight-through??).

What's the go with Walker? Are Walker and Lukey one and the same or not? On Lukey's website I can only find a Turbo muffler, no sign of a Super Turbo....

#20 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:53 PM

Also one more question Struggler - the Walker Super Turbo's you mentioned - what design are these mufflers? (triple flow or still straight-through??).

What's the go with Walker? Are Walker and Lukey one and the same or not? On Lukey's website I can only find a Turbo muffler, no sign of a Super Turbo....

Triple pass, I know they look restrictive but they have always worked for me.

No, I think Lukey and Walker are two seperate entities. I know Walker is a worldwide exhaust manufacturer, believe Lukey is Australian only.

OK, just did a search..... the old Walker brand is now manufactured by Dynomax. Plenty of info on their site.

#21 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:56 PM

Awesome, thanks Struggler. Found a pic of the Dynomax Super Turbo, they look good.

Anyone know of any places in Australia that distribute Dynomax mufflers???

#22 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:29 PM

how about redbacks? I have heard good things about them too, and brett, maybe you could come in tonite and take matty and I for a spin :spoton:

Edited by makka, 22 June 2006 - 02:29 PM.

#23 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:13 PM

If I can't get hold of a pair of Dynomax mufflers, I will most likely try some Redback Triple-Pass units. But the reason I would like to try the Dynomax ones is because they seem to have a good reputation in motorsport use, yet still being quiet.

#24 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:16 PM

This is in no way a scientific finding... Just pure observation from a bloke who suffers from industrial deafness...
Last time i had the XU-1 out at the track i had at least 5 people come up to me in the pits and enquire about the exhaust. Most saying that it was the best sounding 6 they had ever heard.. "man that sounds tuff" and things like that...
That has NEVER happened before!
The difference between now and then????
A 3" Hooker muffler!!!!
They work. :rockon:

Cheers Greg..

#25 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:35 PM

Yeah, Dynomax were the ones I was looking at last night, they seem to have a few different high flowing options.

How big are the truck mufflers you are talking about Struggler? Is it the length or the width that makes the difference to quietness?

I'd be interested in your tests Brett to see what you're running now and then how the new mufflers make a difference. I'm also looking for a change in actual note, I'd like a deeper sound, these mufflers are a little to putt-putty still.

So the most popular suggestions at the moment are

Dynomax
Redback
Hoooker
Magnaflow

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users