Sun Damage

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 _canaryuc_

_canaryuc_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:34 PM

Hi guys.. my car has received a little sun damage ova the past few years, mainly on the bonnet, the roof, and boot (for reasons im sure explain themselves to you all).

I was wondering .. how well does a cut n polish bring this back..

Should i get the cut & polish myself n try it or pay someone to do a good job (how expensive is this).

Thanx heaps

Andrew

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:38 PM

there are several factors here to take into account, overall car paint condition including how much paint is left and if you polish one area successfully other areas will look out of sorts.
your best option will be obtaining a free quote or two and they will advise your best option.
sometimes its too far gone and needs a respray.
either way you need some products to protect and maintain your paint so invest in the best you can afford and as a general rule stay away from the cheeper products.
you may need spot remover, professional or kero.
polish and
wax generally speaking.

#3 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:12 AM

What sort of damage are we talking here, faded by the sun? Yellow is one of the colours most prone to leaching of colour by the sun, closely followed by Red. Or are we talking crows feet? You could try cutting and polish (tape the edges and fold lines with masking tape so you don't go through, and do them later very very carefully) as you will have nothing to loose. If it don't work, your gonna need new paint.

All depends how deeply the sun has leached the colour out of the paint.

Bonnet is usually the worst, heat source above in the sky, and underneath in the form of an engine.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 21 June 2006 - 07:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users