australian muscle car issue 26

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:49 PM

its a good read as always, heaps of toranas and also a good story on the 308 engine.

#2 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:54 PM

I can never seem to find a copy at milk bars etc, is it good? I am a religous reader of street machine and they have huge articles on Brock and Firths cars etc etc.

#3 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:56 PM

Sweeeet!

I will have to pick it up.

have you considered a subscription Liam?

Steve

#4 _user asked to be removed_

• Guests

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:57 PM

For Street machine or AMC?

#5 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:59 PM

AMC. If you can't find it just subscribe to it. Then no need to visit the milk bars etc... it will come to you. :spoton:

If course i am aware you may need to get your hands on one to subscribe. :fool:

Steve

#6 _user asked to be removed_

• Guests

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:01 PM

Yeah, I just got a refund for street machine, im not to fond on subscriptions atm, cause streetmachine I got mine 2 weeks later after it came out at the Milk Bar, they treated me like crap, I will have a thorough look for it and we'll see

#7 _scooter_

_scooter_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:08 PM

Liam,

I reckon instead of the milkbar you should try the newsagent...thats where they sell magazines where I come from milkbars only sell milkshakes...lol :fool:

scooter

#8 _user asked to be removed_

• Guests

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:10 PM

Lol, yeah, my newsagent does everything my local milkbar does, plus more, so I just call it a milkbar, but i'll go to different Newsagents

#9 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:20 PM

My sister just went down the shops, so i through her a $20 and asked her to drop by the newsagents. :spoton:

I guess sisters are useful for something :tease:

Steve

#10 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:41 PM

il race down to the newsagents during my break at work ^_^

cheers chevy

#11 barny_lx

barny_lx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:24 PM

yeah good read

But i gotta cut back on what i read

I buy Street machine, street ford! , extreme , Performance build ups ( the current one has a wicked article on a LJ torry) AUS muscle car and more.....

#12 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:13 PM

dont waste you're money on street machine, i cancelled my subscription 'bout 2 year ago, bought the mag at the airport couple of weeks ago for something to read.....still sh!t

#13 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:36 PM

IMO SM is pretty good... Only ever had one issue of AMC and none of anythin else.

Might get Performance Build ups... If the LJ article is any good.

RIM

#14 _user asked to be removed_

• Guests

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:44 PM

I like the sound of Performance Build ups, do they like build and price cars?

#15 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:16 PM

Ive only got a couple of performance buildup mags and the best one is the one with the sainty top fuel engine in it, also shows the manifold of a v8 supercar in that issue.

#16 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:42 PM

interesting read on the development of the 308, It should certainly put some arguements to rest too about how much HP the L34 in stock form had. I saw one suggestion a stock L34 was up 140hp on a stock SLR5000, that would make a stock L34 rated at 380HP, more than HDT was producing for it's race cars!

#17 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:14 PM

Everybody off forum that wont answer , Hi Red !Tell me how a 308 with massive ported heads , custom extractors , same cam as SLR but with higher lift rockers same as putting in a bigger cam , Dual point dizzy, better exaust system,better manifold it was ported , only puts out same HP as SLR and a A9X had a standard motor choked by pollution gear its only help an electric fan , if a standard LH 308 had 240 at flywheel exagerated and a A9X would have had what 220!! and you and holden would have us beleive that a L34 only put out 240 , What with all your wisdom of all your years estimate a L34 put out no way could it be the same as a slr5000 , I base my knowledge on haveing bought them new and raceing them , What are you baseing your knowledge on ?Books or what you have read , Books dont always tell the truth and over time what is written becomes gospel it doesnt make it right , i still have all the books written even back then in my possesion and nearly every article written back then on toranas i like reading them but dont necessary beleive them like you , you are too young to have been there so you are baseing your knowledge on heresay or books , over to you Red ,You started it this time i was just butting out leaveing you to preach to the converted , TREX

#18 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:34 PM

�FACTS, A STOCK LH SLR5000 PUT OUT 240 HP OR 179KW, A STOCK LX SLR5000 WAS QUAOTED BY HOLDEN AS 250HP OR 186KW, THE A9X WAS QUOTED BY HOLDEN AS 171KW OR 230HP. THE L34 WAS QUOTED BY HOLDEN AS 240HP, SAME AS THE LH SLR5000. THE L34 WAS ACTUALLY A LITTLE SLOWER OVER THE QUARTER THAN THE LH SLR5000, MOST BELIEVE IT�S DUE TO THE ROLLING DIAMETERS OF THE WHEELS, EITHER WAY, THERE WASN�T MUCH IN IT. IF THE L34 WAS 140 HP UP ON THE SLR 5000. LETS BASE IT ON THE LH SLR 5000 AT 240HP, THIS WOULD MEAN A BOG STOCK (AS IT LEFT THE FACTORY) L34 PUT OUT 370HP OR 270KW. THE ABSOLUTE BEST L34 RACE ENGINES (BIGGER CAM, BETTER INTAKE SYSTEM ie NO CHOKING AIRCLEANER, A FULL RACE EXHAUST WITH PROPER EXTRACTORS , PROPER ROLLER ROCKERS, RACE FUEL OIL COOLERS ETC) WERE PUTTING OUT LESS POWER, AND AT THE END OF THEIR DEVELOPMENT WITH THE A9X RACE CARS, THEY PUSHED 400HP OR 300KW (THE LATEST HSV GTS PUTS OUT THIS POWER WITH A BIGGER ENGINE AND 30 YEARS OF TECHNOLOGY AND IT�S A LOT NICER TO DRIVE). CONSIDER THIS THEN, IF A BOG STOCK L34 WAS PUTTING OUT 270KW, IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN FASTER THAN SAY THE 270KW VERSIONS OF THE HSV�S RIGHT?, ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING THEY WERE A LOT HEAVIER THAN AN L34, FACT IS, THE L34 IN STOCK FORM COULDN�T EVEN GET UNDER 15 SECONDS, WHILE THE HSV�S ARE IN THE LOW TO MID 14 SECONDS. A GTHO PH3 DID A 13.7 SEC QUARTER. FORD RATED IT�S POWER AT 300HP, BUT MOST AGREE IT�S MORE LIKE 350HP. THE HO IS A FAR MORE BRUTAL CAR THAN A STOCK L34 AND A LOT HEAVIER TOO, BUT YET, T DOES A QUICKER QUARTER WITH LESS HP THAN A STOCK L34??? SOMEHOW, I DON�T THINK SO. YOU DIDN�T HAVE TO BE OLD ENOUGH TO DRIVE THE CARS FROM NEW TO WORK THESE FIGURES OUT. AS I SAID BEFORE, RACE CARS ARE NOTHING LIKE THE ROAD GOING VERSION WHICH DIDN'T HAVE THE FULL OPEN EXHAUST, IT WAS CHOKED AT THE FIRST JOIN, AND THEN AGAIN AFTER THE MUFFLERS. BTW, YOU WOULDN'T HAVE A CLUE HOW OLD I AM, (OBVIOUSLY AMONG OTHER THINGS SINCE YOU DECIDED TO GET PERSONAL) AND i KNOW PLENTY OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE HAD ALL 3 OF THESE CARS FROM NEW WHO WOULD ALSO DISAGREE WITH WHAT YOU ARE SAYING.

Edited by REDA9X, 24 June 2006 - 07:41 PM.

#19 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:08 PM

I think the point of Reds first post was that over the years there have been some rather big numbers claimed for L34s. Whether this was done by the blokes down at the pub, people who owned the car, journos or whoever. The fact is that in the absence of accurate factory figures people imaginations run amok.
The AMC story talks to more than one race engine builder from that era and all their numbers are similar for their race engines which helps put the output of the std. L34 into perspective.

This is my opinion after reading the story. You are all entitled to have your own.

#20 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:18 PM

exactly my point, thanks mick.

#21 _atlantis hatch_

_atlantis hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:52 PM

trex, what r u saying? don't flame me but i can flame others!

facts are that no matter how OLD you think you are, you are forgetting that the stock Production l34 and a9x were NOT (were not) (were not) get it..

RACE SPECIALS. or even HO packs.

just because you say that you drove one when they were new doesn't mean that your vivid imagination hasn't exageratted the output over the YEARS.

just like when we were all young everything looked so big.

anyway why do you think that l34's were so great!
they couldn't even finish races without sorting out bango diff problems, oil surge, gear box melt downs(need i go on)

the whole of australia remember the MIGHTY A9X.(public opinion)

you can not compare the two in the same sentence like you keep trying to do every time you start this up you end up back at the same point.

why arn't l34's worth as much as an a9x!

because they are less liked, less remembered and not feared liked a superior lx slr 5000, with A9X OPTION.

by the way how did you go with your "no cash offers". did you find someone to swap you a v8 ss l31.(like you told me, nah, i only want a v8 ss to drive in perfect condition plus 5 grand cash) no i dont think so. i told you 25 was top dollar and you thought (because you are so biased) that you would get more for your l34 but now you have 25, go and find yourself a perfectly good show going driver(ss v8 genuine hatch)like you were only going to swap for. try 35 to 50.

good luck.

#22 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:03 PM

dam my stupid newsagents i go to rarely get in performance build ups when they do i usually buy em last one i got was with that insane bigblock 57 chev with a vortech blower does low 10s high 9s

#23 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:08 PM

I never ever put the L34 down, and I wasn't trying to make it out to be worth less or make the A9X appear to be worth more, not at all, my only arguement here is the facts of performance have been stretched.

#24 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:36 PM

If someone has a copy of the release in Modern Motor with the yellow L34 on the cover and can post a link to it , it might possibly end the conversation as my memory tells me all is explained in that one article by Peter Robinson.
Sheesh ! That was one SERIOUS flashback! :huh:
R

#25 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:12 PM

I have it somewhere, I have a pile of magazines spread from you know where to you know where looking for that particular mag. It's here somewhere....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users