australian muscle car issue 26

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:45 PM

I wont refute you REd as you got all your info out of a book and it must be right , i wont claim any figures as you all know better than me , But please explain what i asked , how did a lh and a A9x and a L34 have roughly the same HP ?The Lh defineately had more horses than a emission A9X and if i am to beleive you a car that had very good ported and good airflow heads ,a dual point dizzy , a very good set of extractors that the others didnt , a ported manifold you can dispute it but your wrong , different ratio roller tipped rockers to create bigger lift and do the same as fitting a bigger cam , more compression via flat top pistons , and you tell me that it made the same horsepower i cant see how , I asked that you dont quote books as if you read you would have fathomed what i said but it appears it went right over the head of most of you , dont beleive half of what you have read and only a bit of what you have heard , and atlantis get over it if someone doesnt want to deal with you its their perogitive and Red its nothing personal i just dont beleive you and ditto so leave it alone , you seem to chime in with your book learned facts every time i put in a post so unless you want the favour returned , give it a day and so will i , If you want to discuss it Pm me , TREX

#27 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:49 PM

LX 5008 i am sorry to have been so rude to you and your post , i will try to keep it under control in future , REX

#28 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:42 PM

Rex, just one thing here mate, I don't think you seem to realise this one fact, you can do a fair bit to an engines internals (btw a stock L34 cam is nothing special, it's fairly mild, thats why they had the so called "Bathurst cam" in the HO pack), but if you choke it with poor induction and poor exhaust, (the L34 extractors were shithouse in stock form. The rules said you could modifiy from the first join, after that first join the stock L34 headers went into a single pipe. The exhaust after the mufflers went down to a smaller diameter to restrict flow) you won't get any benefits, and that was exactly what Holden had in mind with this car, they built it so racers could put the good induction and exhaust etc on to make it raceable. I think I have explained this several times now.The fact is this, you quoted the car as being 140HP more than a stock SLR5000. A stock LH SLR 5000 had 240hp, so you are saying a stock L34 (as I said before stock, no HO pack, no chrome aircleaners or any mods at all) put out 380 HP, when HDT could only get at best 370HP out of it's race engines. Your figures simply don't add up. There is no doubting the L34 had more horses than an A9X, going on Holdens figures alone proves that as I said, Holden stated the LH SLR 5000 was 240HP, and the L34 was "quoted" as the same. The early (pre ADR27A) LX SLR5000 managed to get quoted as 250hp, but the ADR27A A9X was quoted at 230HP. Going on this alone, it's down 20hp on the L34. I think my above post pointed out some flaws in the whole arguement and now I am just repeating myself. Just for the record, I have spoken to a few people who had these cars in their day. One person who is well known in the Torana world, and is the most knowledgable person I know on any model Torana told me his stock SLR 5000 used to regularly beat stock L34's at Castleraugh Drag strip (and on the streets). There wasn't much in it (just like the magazines of the day said), but he did beat them. He also had an L34 up until a few years ago, plus a couple of A9X's in stock and modified form. The L34 was a little qucker than the stock A9X he owns, but not much. I had a short run against the L34 (one of the better L34's around) in my VR SS 185i a few years ago. The driver was right in my boot and I couldn't pull away, however, I was trying to pull away while in fifth gear. Had I have changed back to forth (same final drive), I would have pulled away, as he confirmed afterwards. Not bad seeing 185kw is only about 250hp, and it was up a few Kg over the L34.
I'll scan up an article I found with a comparison of an L34 against an SLR5000 and post it later.

Edited by REDA9X, 24 June 2006 - 11:49 PM.

#29 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:37 AM

Posted Image

#30 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2006 - 01:10 AM

well put torana ss

#31 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:40 AM

I havent got my issue and I am a subscriber???

#32 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:33 AM

just maybe the L34 he remembers had the full option pack???

#33 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:24 AM

just maybe the L34 he remembers had the full option pack???

Or maybe a freak car, I have had many 308's they didnt all go the same..

My L31 M21 SS hatch was very tired, had about 250k's and had a lot of blow by and spat oil all over the joint, But it draged off my bro in laws XY GT.. He ran a 13.9 at heathcote in the GT, and My SS past it on the street, he was in shock..

John

#34 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:08 AM

Thanks Red thats more like it no gutter attacks which i have been subject to ,In my expierience with 308/s they when from factory were choked to death no way could any of them put out factory figures , For some reason only known to me i sold my good old car and traded in on a 308 new HJ ute as i also raced speedway i wanted somthing to transport it around took it to townsville after running in and could only manage top speed 155 klm , i had kept all my old L34 gear as when i traded in sales man said wheres the standard gear you wont get a decent trade with that stuff on it so with help from friends got together nearly all stock 308 gear and put on to sell , Anyway back to story when i put extractors and a non standard 2 inch twin system back on got 165 klm , went to drags got 15.2 and 91mph around that anyway , put l34 heads on and 30/70 watson cam reground not a good one but , into low 15/s 98 mph on street rubber ,put duall point and manifold biggest improvement of lot in a HJ ute that weighed a lot went down to low 14/s and over the ton ,its top speed by the speedo went off the clock , I suppose a lot of the misinformation is caused be the fact that the first thing we did was fit mags and a proper twin system from new so the only 308 i had that was standard for a while was the ute ,all the rest were moded with a lukey straight away , I know there are a lot reading this forum that wont post please do as its the only way that all of you that have contacted me can show the regulars what it realy was like not what is in books, will put it to rest now , TREX

#35 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2006 - 03:03 PM

REDA9X i have a question, im no guru but i have read my fair share of books and mags but didnt the supercar scare influance Holden with the figures they showed for there cars..

Trex I dont know about your ute but an Uncle of mine brought a brand new HJ Prem and I still remember him braggin to all the relo's how he had it on 180kmph on the Hume HWY on his trip to sydney for a soccer game and this HJ only had a 253 trimatic dead stocker as it left the factory floor...

John

#36 _Dirty Deeds_

_Dirty Deeds_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:51 PM

I know there are a lot reading this forum that wont post please do as its the only way that all of you that have contacted me can show the regulars what it realy was like not what is in books, will put it to rest now , TREX

Trex, I understand what you are saying but really, what's the point of thrashing this out? I dont think it will achieve anything.

Like I have said in the past: I have hung around many L34's over the past 22 years and they have all performed differently. Some have had more grunt than others and you can really feel the torque difference. But who knows how much work or modifications have been made.

I will share with you my own personal experience.
I bought my L34 with the original engine ( but was running a holley and a Crane Cam ) but otherwise L34 standard everything.
I ripped out the original engine and put in a NEW 308 making 391 FWHP ( standard stroke ). My point is that the performance was like NIGHT and DAY. The old L34 engine was pokey but nowhere near the grunt of the new engine.
The car ran a 12.8 @ 111MPH in standard road trim ( including full exhaust and street tyres ).
The old L34 engine was quick and pokey but was making 250HP at best.

I also owned a LHSLR5000 in the 80's that was dyno'd with 320FWHP. That car ran 13.89.

Again, my point is that the comparison between the 3 is that the SLR was quick and the old L34 engine was snappy but the old L34 engine appeared the slowest of the 3.

Mate, Im not sure if this is going to help but I would be very surprised if a standard L34 ( and I mean an untouched L34 ) made more than 250HP.
That's my experience and my opinion.
:soapbox:

#37 retired308

retired308

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:58 PM

just for healthy discussion, who was the street machine mechanic
guru who used to contribute articles and do build ups?
i remember early 80's he did a big block 425ci into hq build etc, he was
quoted as saying a stock 308 made 160 genuine hp flat out" about 1/2 hp
per cube, was that a fair statement?.
Thinking also that someone can use the slide to calculate hp v quarter times
would that test some stories more acurately??
Most of the old 70's-80's 308 street/strip builds were lucky to see 300-360hp according to my old engine guys, that was with the usual mods.

we really should treasure all the cars and enjoy them,

#38 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2006 - 07:41 PM

I remember having this same conversation with red many moons ago and ill have to give in and say that red is right. even dirty deeds has put in his bit. I always thought that because the l34 heads flowed more they would have to produce at least a bit more power but i think 250HP was their top.

#39 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 07:51 PM

The supercar scare certainly would have put the wind up Holden, and yes, the figures they quoted may have been a little less than it was really putting out. My point was though, the difference certainly was not anything like 140hp over a stock 5000. I think I've pointed out the exhaust and other things a few times, deliberatly put there by Holden to choke the cars performance off the showroom floor. DR Terry also pointed out, most had poor timing from new. Holden deliberately did these things so the cars wouldn't perform any better than a stock 5000 so when journos took them out to drive, they couldn't start the whole supercar scare tactics again. Just one thing I'd like to say to REX, I certainly wasn't trying to be personal, I took it you were and reacted in one post, I was mearly trying to point out some facts to try and stop some of the myth that has been floating round for years. lets face it, most people who bought an L34 would have tossed the exhaust and aircleaner, got it tuned up, maybe fitted a new cam within weeks of being new, so it's understandable memories can be a little hazzy.

#40 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:10 PM

Well whatever... the A9X and the L34 are both f&%king great cars and i'd own either 1

#41 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:23 PM

WELL SAID

#42 _Dirty Deeds_

_Dirty Deeds_
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2006 - 12:15 PM

That's it NOSLH, both great cars.

I've always said that we are just so lucky to be enjoying these cars in the prime of our lives. Its just a pity that they have become so damn expensive. I would love to own an A9X hatch and an XU1, but I just can find a lazy $150 g's.

Let's just enjoy them for what they are and not what they claim to be.

Cruise them, race them or just stare at them. Either way, its Holden Muscle at its best.

Cheers

DD :<_<:

#43 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:08 PM

Interesting thread, the magazine is interesting as well :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users