A9X GMPA racing hatch with history

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 _toranacanfly_

_toranacanfly_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:06 PM

Chris bowden ex wilson  a9x hatch, only 33 racing shell's are accounted for, what's your thought's on this a9x ?? Ecurie investment's...... Wondering upon the asking price ???

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

Got a link?

#3 _toranacanfly_

_toranacanfly_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:44 PM

www.ecurieinvestments.com

#4 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

http://www.ecurieinv...oup-c-hatchback

#5 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:Nuffin. Goin touring.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:53 AM

Chris bowden ex wilson  a9x hatch, only 33 racing shell's are accounted for, what's your thought's on this a9x ?? Ecurie investment's...... Wondering upon the asking price ???

Ring Chris & ask him. They are very approachable down to earth fellas from what I've had to do with them.

#6 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

Yep, know the car, assisted the former owner to identify the car. It wasn't raced much, but it was kitted out with the good gear of the time.

#7 _Got1UR1_

_Got1UR1_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

Know the car well, Has its Group C diff. No correct engine, no original rollcage, gearbox from another car, big hit on front right corner, $160k would have owned it, then +++++++ for full resto.

#8 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

What is the story with the other GMPA they have?

GMP&A A9X Torana Hatch

This car is for sale by Private Treaty only.
Less than 1000K's from new.
Unused famous Group C Race Team assigned GMP&A A9X Hatch shell.
Recently refreshed, original Group C race componentry

http://www.ecurieinv...9x-torana-hatch

#9 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

I suspect thats the Bob Morris spare that was sold by Malloy to cover the money owed to him by Hodgson. Could be wrong, not much to go on, but it does say unused and big team.

#10 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:47 AM

I suspect thats the Bob Morris spare that was sold by Malloy to cover the money owed to him by Hodgson. Could be wrong, not much to go on, but it does say unused and big team.

Thanks Red.

Where you thinking it was this one?

LP0J0666.jpg

#11 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

Yep thats the one

#12 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,090 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

Is that the one Street Machine gave away?

#13 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

Is that the one Street Machine gave away?

No that was the one owned by Ron Hodgson then in WA by Paul Terry. The Street Machine Castrol FMX A9X (14kms) that was owned by the Holden exec (who sold it to street machine for the giveaway) is also here in WA.

#14 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

what's Chris asking for that one?

#15 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

The  Street Machine car was owned by Tony Connelly, the bloke who owned the HDT Monaro that crashed and caught fire at Sandown. He bought the A9X to race, had all the bits to go but never built the car up or had time to race it so it sat in the shed until Street machine got hold of it.

This one above I was told was put together by Peter Malloy as part of a settlement payment because RoN Hodgson owed him money at the end of the 79 season.

I don't know how much truth there is to the story though because I was told the Ron Hodgson team only ever bought 3 hatches, two were raced and one was made Bob Morris' road car.

Since then this one has appeared plus another one the team sold off the Hodgson dealership as a road car.

#16 _XU1 355_

_XU1 355_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:36 PM

Regarding GMP&A A9X history,the Ron Hodgson \Bob Morris A9X's were not GMP&A Race shells. Ron Missen built these cars.They were SS hatchbacks  that were made into race cars. Ron Missen & Bob Morris had both gone to GMH Dandelong in 1977 to see how the race shells were cut & made,then made their own ones in Sydney. 

#17 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

Thats a great story, not true, but a good story. In actual fact the first Bob Morris A9X sedan was a standard GMP&A replacement shell and so was the first hatch. From then on they were A9X race shells.

Regarding GMP&A A9X history,the Ron Hodgson \Bob Morris A9X's were not GMP&A Race shells. Ron Missen built these cars.They were SS hatchbacks  that were made into race cars. Ron Missen & Bob Morris had both gone to GMH Dandelong in 1977 to see how the race shells were cut & made,then made their own ones in Sydney. 

#18 _XU1 355_

_XU1 355_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

Hi Red i wasn't talking about the sedan, & i think that it's funny that you seem to know more than 'the horse's mouth'. I do know Bob Morris personally & have been told by both Ron & Bob,that this is the case...So what led you, to your conclusion???. 

#19 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

Red just throwing this out there because it was so long ago my memory might be playing tricks on me But:-

In NZ met a guy with a yellow Hatch all done up racing at a hill climb got chatting and he showed me around the car

It was a genuine group C race car ID plate was GMH&A but the body number was BOB MORRIS factory stamped 

He told me it was a one of the 33 race shells and had been built for Bob Morris and was raced by Bo Setton

At that time I knew little about A9X but he showed me the roll cage had been etc and knew the full history of the car

The thing that got me was body tag had Bob Morris instead of a number, he told me that some of the car had that as some of the shells were pre-sold and were walked down the line individually to make sure they were't fitted with anything they did not need or want and to get the extras that they did want.

Anyway after retirement from racing it had the cage and other racing gear removed and converted to a street car and the gentlemen whom had the car had brought it in OZ and had it shipped to NZ he paid $30,000 for it in 1990 or there abouts

Hi XU1 355 I hope my post is not taken as a dig at you, it is not meant as such, it was a long time ago but I am sure that the car was a GMH & A shell and it had Bob Morris instead of a number

Edited by cruiza, 03 June 2013 - 10:13 PM.

#20 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

I too happen to know Bob Morris personally. I've also seen the cars in the flesh. The car in WA is the car Bob refers to as "the old car". It's not a GMP&A race shell, it's a GMP&A shell the team built to A9X specs in the same fashion they built the sedan. The other car, owned by the Hinton family is a genuine GMP&A race shell, as was Bob's road car.

#21 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

Cruiza, I think we covered this before and I think a couple of cars are being mixed up.

The yellow car in NZ was the car now owned by yellowa9x's on the forum which he races as the Janson car.

None of Bob Morris' cars had the tag stamped with his name, the only person who ever had his name on the tag was Bob Forbes. All of his cars had B.Forbes on the tags except for his last spare. The only yellow one of his was one of the last shells which was made to go to leMans but was later sold to Janson and raced during 1979. He later used it for Hill climbs and I believe one of it's other owners did the same thing. Not sure if it ever went to NZ.

Bo Seton had 2 cars, one he raced and one spare. the spare was built into a road car and it's original paperwork says Bob Morris.

Red just throwing this out there because it was so long ago my memory might be playing tricks on me But:-

In NZ met a guy with a yellow Hatch all done up racing at a hill climb got chatting and he showed me around the car

It was a genuine group C race car ID plate was GMH&A but the body number was BOB MORRIS factory stamped 

He told me it was a one of the 33 race shells and had been built for Bob Morris and was raced by Bo Setton

At that time I knew little about A9X but he showed me the roll cage had been etc and knew the full history of the car

The thing that got me was body tag had Bob Morris instead of a number, he told me that some of the car had that as some of the shells were pre-sold and were walked down the line individually to make sure they were't fitted with anything they did not need or want and to get the extras that they did want.

Anyway after retirement from racing it had the cage and other racing gear removed and converted to a street car and the gentlemen whom had the car had brought it in OZ and had it shipped to NZ he paid $30,000 for it in 1990 or there abouts

#22 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:21 PM

Cruiza, I think we covered this before and I think a couple of cars are being mixed up.

The yellow car in NZ was the car now owned by yellowa9x's on the forum which he races as the Janson car.

None of Bob Morris' cars had the tag stamped with his name, the only person who ever had his name on the tag was Bob Forbes. All of his cars had B.Forbes on the tags except for his last spare. The only yellow one of his was one of the last shells which was made to go to leMans but was later sold to Janson and raced during 1979. He later used it for Hill climbs and I believe one of it's other owners did the same thing. Not sure if it ever went to NZ.

Bo Seton had 2 cars, one he raced and one spare. the spare was built into a road car and it's original paperwork says Bob Morris.

Your quite right I was getting my Bobs mixed up and yes diffinitely had name instead of number and this was in NZ about 1990 and I saw it on the road many time after that over the next 5 year s or so

#23 _XU1 355_

_XU1 355_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

If you insist. All I am saying is that they are not one of the 33 race shell GMHs made. Ron still has his auto shop in Sydney.

Perhaps go in and personally ask him? Good luck with your findings.

#24 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

The first hatch was not one of the 33 rolling shells, but those that followed it were.

Netx time you're talking to Ron, ask him about Bobs GMP&A race shell the team made into his road car, ask him what colour it was.

#25 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

LOL, he said she said. Still no proof of anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users