Front Engine Brackets

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _johndefender_

_johndefender_
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:12 PM

Hi, I've got a 77 LX and which started it's life as a four cylinder. The second last owner replaced the engine to a 161, but it was a backyard job. The problem is that he/she "made" the front engine brackets. The whole engine sits way too close to the raditor and my great concern is that these front engine mounts will break at some point. I need to buy another front cross-member (K frame) but I don't know if the rear engine cross-member (transmission) will line up. I also don't know if the driveshaft fit. I've replaced both the rear mounting and rear cross-member (buying the new mount) and had a hard time getting it all to fit. I'm guessing that the drive shaft is suited for a four cylinder and that a six cylinder shaft is shorter?
I don't know if this makes any sense but really need some advice in buying the right parts. I have also posted a question regarding rust at the base of the windscreen on the left side where the drainage hole is(was). In the short term, this has to be adressed. In the long term, the engine wil be replaced. I will buy a donor car and use mine as the parts car. I have a disabilty and need the car for everyday running around. The car (somehow) passed a roadworthy and is registered.

#2 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:00 AM

You could check out ebay for your car parts, saves driving around looking in wreckers etc.
Sounds like another crossmember might be the go mate, iv seen some tailshafts on ebay a few times.

#3 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:57 PM

How far is the engine from the fire wall?

#4 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:07 PM

where are you I have cross member if you want 2 pm me.
I have done this conversion, which gear box have you got, aussie or philopino four
cylinder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users