Keith's UC 1/4 Mile

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:24 AM

Hey all, its that time again... I'm going down the strip TONIGHT. Here's the variables, and my last best time was 14.852@95mph. This time i will be running 235/60/14 Toyo's, i will be dropping the tailpipe off from the pacemakers, and have no belt driven fan anymore either... My car was untuned when i last ran down the 1/4, and also had the 2 1/4" pipe connected.

I'm hoping to see at least 14.5@>100mph, but you never know... It's gonna be a cool night too, so maybe the odds are in my favour.

Take a guess everyone and i will post up the results tonight.

Keith

#2 _dannylxss_

_dannylxss_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:01 PM

95mph to 100mph is a big jump 50 hp and do you have big comp if not why are you going to drop your pipes you will be wasting your time crawling under your car keith good luck tonight mate

#3 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:53 PM

Do bare extractors really do anything, iv driven loads of cars with no exhausts, and they dont rev as quick, they sound like shit, and every shift is a massive backfire hehe. a tad more torque though.

Hopefully u an beat ur 14.8 sec, even if u get 14.8 again thats pretty damn quick :spoton:

i guess 14.9 tonight :D

#4 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:50 AM

Hey guys, i've returned. Very bad night. The 235's that are supposed to be great tyres have turned out to be crap. My rear main seal has developed a leak, and the car ran like a bucket - just when i wanted it to run perfect.

First run - 16.4. Getting re-used to running and reacting. Getting a feel for the shift points and learning the strip again. Well done...

Second run - 16.2. Got a better start, first to second shift was bodgy - but still smoked right through second gear (not to mention first). I was a bit happier with the time, but due to the rear main seal leaking, i had to let the old girl cool down before the run.

Third - 16 flat. Crappy start, dodgy burnout (the car jumped sideways and i had to back off and just stage). Flat shifted into second with nothing but wheelspin... AGAIN. My housemate who i have now lost to twice tonight has now got a majorly large head because of this...

Fourth - 16.2. Raced a V8 Commodore VP. Lost by 2 tenths. Upsetting was the rear main, the car was cool, i rode the clutch, chirped second and managed a good 92mph run, but i have a sneeking suspicion that the tyre's overall diameter is now causing me havoc because it is too large. I couldnt get a decent run in, so i gave up, fitted the globes back up and headed home. I mananged 4 runs in over 2 1/2 hrs. I now have to investigate the rear main because i think it has been blown out.

Regardless of air filter, the times did not drastically improve. Nor did i match my previous best of 14.8, and i dont fully understand why. I had a 1/4 of a tank of petrol, tyres were at 20psi, car had since been tuned and the belt fan removed....

I'm upset by these times...

Keith

#5 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:25 AM

dont street tyres grip their best at their reccomended pressure as only drag tyres are ment to run 20 psi and lower, same goes for burning a street tyre would only weaken its grip.

ps dont burn me for these connents as im no drag racing expert.

#6 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:31 AM

so these wheels are different to the other wheels that you had when you ran the faster time?, as is you went from 13's to 14's?

#7 _LX406_

_LX406_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:28 PM

The only advantage to doing a burnout on street tyres is to get the water off the tyre from the burnout box.

I use a rule when I am chasing better times..... Change one thing at a time. Then you know if it works or not. If you change heaps of things, and go backwards, how do you know what caused it.

#8 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:04 PM

so true is the post above..one thing at a time

#9 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:02 PM

dont forget Keith, the colder the track, the less traction

#10 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 27 June 2006 - 02:44 PM

but then the colder the track the colder the air going in your engine!!

Bit dissapointing, but at least u know it can do a 14....

#11 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2006 - 05:36 PM

MMM... Good comments guys!

I've gone from 14" rims with 225 tyres to 14" rims with 235 tyres...

From Yokohama's to Toyo's... I dont know...

I'll be back again... With a new set of rims this time... See if tyre is the problem!

#12 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:48 AM

To date have managed to pull another 14.8 (14.841 @ 94mph) with the simmons on. 225/50/16 Yokohama AR01's. I did a pretty pathetic skid and only broke traction in first gear instead of second too... Still only did 4 runs, and 1 with my nearly bald 'skidders' on (165/75/13) and managed a 15 flat with an awesome -miracle- traction grab in first gear which almost lifted a front tyre, with a smoke run in second because i flat changed. MPH was 98 on the 15 flat run. I havent got the slip because the dragway up here are slack, but they said on the loudspeaker that my 60footer was a 1.78. Not bad for a shitty tyre!

The rear main seal has stopped leaking, and all components of the engine are running good (i did not change the tune at all, or remove air filter or exhaust).

So... Is there more in the 179? Probably not because next time i run down the 1/4 there will be a V8 in it's place...

Cheers
Keith

#13 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:08 AM

Good news about the rear main, Keuth.
Still, you should be happy with a 15....not all 8's can claim that!

#14 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:04 PM

Yeah, but potentially it's got more in it... I'm running 3.08:1 diff gearing, so with something slightly lower i'd probably lose a tenth or two... I have the brown UC just sitting in the back yard with potentially hazardous 3.9:1 diff in it... Just a straight swap and i've got 3.9's again... Could i be bothered? No.

Keith

#15 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:38 PM

You couldn't be bothered?
Now that's a first.
You feeling orright Keefy? Here... have a cigarette.

#16 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:25 PM

CANT BE BOTHERED!!!! you are crazy, i just sold a welded up 3.9 on ebay, now that would have been crazy!

Im puting a 3.55 minispooled centre in instead now....

#17 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:27 AM

Yeah, it'd be heaps quicker, but i'd rather be able to drive around at 60km/h under 2500rpm! If i had more time at home, i'd consider it, but i just dont at the moment!

I remember beating a V8 VN commodore when i had my stock 202 behind the old 3.9:1 diff gears... It was quite funny!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users