• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 November 2016 - 07:58 PM

Thought about making a console?

Why do you say that? I actually just sold my hatch console I was thinking of keeping as a 'maybe some day' spare for this car.

...Have you done a before Wright to compare to the end? Curious how much it all adds up to

Is that air con unit off eBay? Or where did you get it?

Sorry mate, what exactly are you asking there?

Yep the air con unit is readily found on eBay, a fella in Melbourne imports them and sells them online or directly to anyone who visits his business which is what I elected to do - to compare size and shape.
http://www.pureauto.com.au/

Edited by Heath, 13 November 2016 - 08:01 PM.

#777 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:43 AM

Think he ment weights before and after heazeth.

#778 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,374 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:13 PM

I'd just like to see how much all the "holes" weigh?

It looks like that has been a lot of work so I'd be interested to see how much it's actually saved, I reckon it would take a lot of holes just to add up to a kilo.

#779 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:30 PM

Yes I did mean 'weight' not 'wright' but but ain't good my spelling always on the interweb

How much weight will all the lightening holes save?
I remember reading many years ago something like 100kg would be worth a 1/10th of a second over the 1/4 mile but my memory might have that figure wrong

#780 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:20 AM

Just use the old Moroso plastic slide rule to give you a guide on any 1/4 mile time saved. There are two variables to consider, weight and horsepower. I just had a quick look for mine, but couldn't find it. If you dropped 100 KG on a 300 HP Torana, there would be more than a 0.1 second gain. Probably more than 0.5 seconds, but I would like to find the slide rule first to check the maths.

#781 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:22 AM

You are doing some pretty cool stuff to this car Heath, can't wait to see it finished. Love the thought you put into the aircon heater unit, that is such a cool integrated improvement. Time to get back into it I say :spoton:

#782 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:21 PM

Woah, no updates since November last year. Time got away from me when I found a broken head stud in the Porkchop.
I0dZo6Y.jpg
S2CPv8j.jpg
Time to learn how the 6 Briggs and Strattons go together!
aLXRz5G.jpg
Fast forward through lots of money & time:
mbfEhsx.jpg
Fixed up some minor panel damage, shaved the rear bumper blocks etc. and had a local dude give them a squirt of 2k.
JjQT9w4.jpg
Ooooh yeah, back in action in time for race day!
sP1iF3A.jpg

Then did some travelling across our great country in an Aussie icon (GT Nats were on in Perth so mick74lh and some other good mates headed across in this XB)
X5VTZrr.jpg
bOMWQyk.jpg

I have done a bit more on the Torana, need to get this thread up to speed.

Edited by Heath, 13 June 2017 - 11:23 PM.

#783 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:43 PM

After spending a fortnight driving around the country in a tough manual V8 Aussie muscle car, I was pretty motivated.

Picked up an unwanted 320mm Wilwood front brake kit (Rod Shop gear) for a reasonable price.
HEtMh1S.jpg
Figured the stub axles are going to want all the help they can get with alloy hubs and fat tyres, so drew up some bearing spacers for the front and had a mate with a machine shop quickly turn them up.
SxQejAC.jpg

I'm really wanting the diff to be the first cab off the rank here so it should probably get one for the pinion too:
Vfe16UG.jpg

Okay I got carried away with the bearing spacers and made some for the rear hubs too:
JtHL6wS.jpg
KHNHcvG.jpg

Made a little stainless buckle-resistant pushrod for my hydraulic handbrake:
LKAZlIc.jpg
JGcZaeG.jpg

Keen to stop looking at the underside of this car sometime soon, but wasn't very happy with these little sill-chassis rail connectors that are always dinted. They would make a good jacking point in a Torana (being higher and closer to the outside of the car) but they clearly aren't up to the task.
hwxyNFi.jpg
...but they could be made to be?
WTrIkBo.jpg
QJ29yRK.jpg
3DJk074.jpg
fWyAssk.jpg
wsqVSCP.jpg

#784 IMORAL

IMORAL

Bored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LX SS HATCH - IMORAL
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:19 AM

Awesome stuff as usual Heath :spoton:

#785 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:32 AM

Neat idea, can you still get the bolt into the chassis rail?

#786 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:12 AM

Yeah I just stick it in from the other side, or you could get a bolt with a loose washer rather than one integrated in the head and that would be fine, too.

#787 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:39 AM

Good to see your over your F@4D, Nissmo, VW adventures and working on a real car again! :tease:

#788 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:37 PM

Looking good. What steel did you use for the bearing spacers? I have been thinking of weather to make or buy.

#789 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:28 PM

Ahhh... maybe 1030 grade? Obviously harder the better, but it's a part that is inherently pretty strong, nice thickness & aspect ratio.

Did some more CAD (Cardboard Aided Design)
CnVuP3X.jpg

Then actual CAD
BwjlMUY.jpg

Went shopping:
sADWyXv.jpg

New 31-Spline TrueTrac allowed me to actually work out axle positions, and centreline of diff.
o4JVTLH.jpg

Which meant I could finally make my top link! Made some cardboard templates and had some 1-1/4" CDS bent accordingly:
fHYjzQT.jpg
88oru8M.jpg

Test fit:
kDKcwHH.jpg
ytzW3sV.jpg

Some gussets to strengthen the bends:
4V6XOnx.jpg
ilzBSMm.jpg
kw4Ox4K.jpg

Cue angle grinder sounds:
4JFfBRf.jpg

Trued up the spindles in the 3-Jaw and cut them down from 9" size to BW78 size:
VV0QyoC.jpg

As good a fit as you'll get with seamed axle tube:
VJ05fPJ.jpg
DlIwgoQ.jpg
RzubGLY.jpg
cLAbmxO.jpg

Made some lower arms from thin wall 1-1/4" Chromoly with some rods ends, adjuster mechanisms etc.
2jcFOdm.jpg
ajclsRR.jpg

Started welding on my laser cut bracketry that incorporates the Bathurst-style swaybar mount I designed.
wB97gXC.jpg
3eNToZ4.jpg

Had to give up on the shock mounts as it made them foul on the tubs. I have made some others not in this picture.
K9siPfk.jpg

Edited by Heath, 14 June 2017 - 11:30 PM.

#790 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:08 AM

Nice, that top link actually packages quite well into the small space and should provide an improvement in lateral location over two separate control arms being a single rigid piece. Are you planning on using rod ends to mount to the body, or is it OK for binding through normal travel? Obviously articulation at the diff isn't going to be a problem, I'm guessing practical considerations about clearance were the limiting factor to setting the roll centre there?

Full floater should be good too, are you installing the ends square or building a little geometry into it?

#791 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:07 AM

The chassis attachment for the top link uses urethane 'bushed rod ends' from McDonald Bro's which are apparently rated to about 30 degrees of deflection. The link doesn't bind up at all, but I still need to make some metal bushess to hold those assemblies fully central before I'm happy.

Straightness: Doing this shit is all new for me. I made a straightening jig to hold it all square as I welded it together, still not sure if I should get an engineering shop to have a play with the oxy afterwards? I guess it'll be close to zero but I'd rather it is checked, and I'm inclined to see if a little neg camber can be put into it. Once I'm done with the brakes I can investigate it.

Re: Practical considerations about roll centre. Yeah... I don't have a good idea of whether it's in a spot that's good or not. It's a bastard to move, but once I realised I had set it up with the ridiculous 'nose up' pinion angle, it was clear I could cut down the pinion bump stop and probably pull the roll centre down an inch or so which would no doubt be advantageous.

Edited by Heath, 15 June 2017 - 08:08 AM.

#792 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

Nice axles.

#793 turbo76lx

turbo76lx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Name:Glen
  • Car:LX

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:23 AM

Nice work, have you seen the Currie Enterprises Johnny Joint rod ends, http://www.currieent...jeep-components

They might work well on the lower trailing arms.

#794 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:21 AM

Ah, I've seen them but I'm just going to bush the lowers with urethane mate. Want to retain some degree of compliance for ride comfort.

#795 IMORAL

IMORAL

Bored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LX SS HATCH - IMORAL
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:01 PM

That's cool AF mate

So that tricko top arm. Just adjust the rod ends to set the pinion angle?  Looks good

That's not a VN bommodore I see in some of the pics is it? Skap will blow a nut over that lol.

#796 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:03 PM

^ I don't think you could adjust the arm because its a fixed triangle, guessing the threaded ends are just for fine-tuning it to fit.

Straightness: Doing this shit is all new for me. I made a straightening jig to hold it all square as I welded it together, still not sure if I should get an engineering shop to have a play with the oxy afterwards? I guess it'll be close to zero but I'd rather it is checked, and I'm inclined to see if a little neg camber can be put into it. Once I'm done with the brakes I can investigate it.

Re: Practical considerations about roll centre. Yeah... I don't have a good idea of whether it's in a spot that's good or not. It's a bastard to move, but once I realised I had set it up with the ridiculous 'nose up' pinion angle, it was clear I could cut down the pinion bump stop and probably pull the roll centre down an inch or so which would no doubt be advantageous.

I was just curious as those are probably things that I'd spend ages deciding on simply because you've got the option and I'm good at snowballing "while I'm at it...". The roll centre has to be better than factory regardless, and I couldn't tell you whether I'd prefer some camber and toe in the diff alignment or not.

If you made a proper jig to weld and check it I can't see too much value in second-guessing your own work and paying someone who couldn't care less to double-check it.

#797 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:53 PM

Adjustment on the top link is for fine adjustment of fit and maybe left/right of the axle to a small degree. Lower arms are adjustable for correcting the pinion angle.

#798 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Name:Mmmmmmm
  • Car:lx hatchback lc gtr

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:47 PM

Had a quick flick through this thread today. Some brilliant ideas around some problems with the uc hatch vs uc. I take it you are building a race car Heath. Wish i had access to half the machines you do. Well done.

#799 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:27 PM

Why not just bolt some rims to your diff and take it to a wheel alignment shop Heath?

Thats what I did when I got the diff done for the LJ, luckily had a mate who worked at a tyre shop so we just put it together, made up a basic jig to hold the pinion at the right point then put some rims on it and dropped it on the wheel alignment apparatus one Saturday arv. I took the oxy along and made a few tweaks then and there and she's all set. 

Just an idea. 

#800 cameron

cameron

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Car:LX SS Hatchback

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:49 PM

Clever yet simple way to eliminate the binding of the top arms.

fHYjzQT.jpg

Cameron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users