• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 August 2023 - 09:41 PM

Thank you guys! :D Means the world.

lol Daniel I am just relishing this one currently! I think the Street Machine cover was a pretty lofty goal for the car. I really DID want it to make cover, but there was nothing I could do to control that of course. Fortunately I was given the impression SM were keen to feature the car since Telfo came up to me at an event a few years ago and called me an "elite car builder" like half way through the build, haha. That fuelled the fire of course and it felt awesome to know that I'd made some kind of impact with what I'd been doing on my own in this dusty little workshop. It is obviously a thrill to now see they've made it an 8 page spread, the poster, the cover car... that is so awesome but I was of course just a passenger in that. Maybe it was a quiet news week for hatchback Toranas? Who knows. 

I also desired to have my car in the Top 60 at Summernats; but it's not like I refinished the car in the 3 months prior to influence it getting in there. I presented it as well as I reasonably could for the car that it is - a car that had already seen track time before judging, lol.

Obviously I have no control over a SMOTY nomination (getting cover is obviously a good first step) but we have 11 months' worth of amazing eligible feature cars to see, and I have no idea what'll be considered in flavour by the SM team and the public. You can bet your arse that if I was honoured with a nomination, I would certainly try to run a decent campaign on the use case of the car.

Next stop is driving it to Sydney this week. Entered it in the Show & Shine at WTAC. So hopefully it makes it both ways and back into the workshop so I can pull the donk again.

#2002 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 28 August 2023 - 09:56 PM

And it all started here....................I'm so proud!  :cry:

Attached Files

#2003 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 August 2023 - 12:35 AM

Wow. I look like much more of a tiprat nowadays when I work on cars than I did back then. So presentable!

Thanks for the foot up for this pimply faced kid Rob! I certainly needed it.

Well I now have 5 exhaust mount points. :)
Some more drilled out stainless bar stock, some stainless mudflap washers, and some small diameter stainless tube I had lying around. I made these odd looking brackets up so that I could employ some factory captive nuts on the arm mounts. 
xxLUEqs.jpg
The angled bit of tube is basically a reaction arm to push against the chassis as the weight of the exhaust would otherwise try to bend the mount, and the plane of those two fastening points isn't doing any favours for structural integrity without that reaction arm.
hOkct34.jpg
gqfYcp5.jpg
QPS6upx.jpg

#2004 YellowGTR

YellowGTR

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Name:John
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 29 August 2023 - 10:06 AM

Well Done Heath, I too remember your days of toiling away on BBQ-202 you have created something to be proud of. Also pretty keen on your house and garage design as well.

#2005 LhMusL

LhMusL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 12:50 PM

Amazing as always mate! So cool to get the SM cover! Well done  

#2006 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 August 2023 - 02:50 PM

And it all started here....................I'm so proud!  :cry:

Toolbox has gotten a bit bigger

#2007 HIBERN8

HIBERN8

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:1974 LH S

Posted 31 August 2023 - 11:48 AM

It’s been a long while since I’ve been on the forum but when I saw the street machine article/cover and the words ‘radical weight reduction’ I had a feeling I was having a little drool over the results of this particular build and had to come back here and confirm. Well done mate, absolutely top effort!

#2008 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 31 August 2023 - 05:56 PM

Straight to the pool room...d97c92356566a8228202b61ef431a77d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

#2009 MictheAussie

MictheAussie

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Name:Mic
  • Car:LJ

Posted 01 September 2023 - 01:32 AM

I had my mum buy this for me to send to the US. Its an issue I needed to have.

Such a great car Heath. Its so good to see a cover car that isn't 1846hp with 22" wheels. You have built an awesome street/track car. I wasn't sure about the orange engine bay when you first did that, but I love how it ties the car together now with the interior and stripes.

Nice job Mate!!

#2010 Adam77

Adam77

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:LX sedan

Posted 03 September 2023 - 01:52 PM

Great job Heath,it must be extremely rewarding to walk into a service station and seeing your car in the magazine rack.

#2011 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 04 September 2023 - 05:27 PM

Such a great car Heath. Its so good to see a cover car that isn't 1846hp with 22" wheels

& working windscreen wipers . :)

#2012 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 September 2023 - 09:43 AM

And the wipers have had a work-out. Well, everything on the car has, really. Just did well over 2,000km on a work + fun trip to NSW. Drove it all around Sydney for a few days and then cleaned it, went to a local kebab meet, and then WTAC when my work was complete. Friday later in the day, Mike Burrough's Ferrari had to leave the Haltech stand to get a new Quaife sequential box installed, and Haltech asked me if I could those boots for the rest of the day... gladly!

RnZy6pr.jpg

It was around this point that Larry Chen discovered the car and asked to mic me up and interview me. Speechless (I wasn't speechless in the interview, but yeah, I was chuffed just to shake his hand let alone have an extended chat on video about my car, lol)

More cleaning and did the show & shine on Sat:

ZpaD8rJ.jpg

8DOZlMz.jpg

And then enjoyed the last drive for a while on some great twisty roads coming back to Melbourne:

IOnJhpA.jpg

Well Done Heath, I too remember your days of toiling away on BBQ-202 you have created something to be proud of. Also pretty keen on your house and garage design as well.

Haha, yeah. The next big challenge is trying to bring that together, but like the car, it'll take a while.

Toolbox has gotten a bit bigger

lol I think back then I had a Sidchrome socket set from Cash Converters and a few loose tools, that was Rob's motor, and Rob's toolbox in the photo. When I was 21 I bought my big roller cab and have been using it every day since. 

It’s been a long while since I’ve been on the forum but when I saw the street machine article/cover and the words ‘radical weight reduction’ I had a feeling I was having a little drool over the results of this particular build and had to come back here and confirm. Well done mate, absolutely top effort!

Haha! That is awesome. Cheers.

I had my mum buy this for me to send to the US. Its an issue I needed to have.

Such a great car Heath. Its so good to see a cover car that isn't 1846hp with 22" wheels. You have built an awesome street/track car. I wasn't sure about the orange engine bay when you first did that, but I love how it ties the car together now with the interior and stripes.

Nice job Mate!!

Ahhhh, that is mint to hear! Love it.

Yes, the obsession with "more is more" is not what I was seeking. I'll leave that to the next guy.

Great job Heath,it must be extremely rewarding to walk into a service station and seeing your car in the magazine rack.

It is awesome!!! Seeing those promo posters on the outside of newsagent windows and stuff. So good! I am looking forward to randomly seeing the posters hanging up in various places I visit, lol.

xN5gH4v.jpg

#2013 skap

skap

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Name:Skap
  • Car:Mighty VN

Posted 05 September 2023 - 06:08 PM

Picked up me copy today.  I expect an autograph on it at the next Toranafest !! 

(If i can fight my way through all the pussy lining up for titty autographs.. lol.)

#2014 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Name:Daniel

Posted 05 September 2023 - 08:48 PM

Has anyone in service stations noticed your car filling up and connected it to the picture on the magazine stand? that would be a funny moment!

#2015 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 06 September 2023 - 01:53 PM

They did a good job with the story - 500words and some breakouts isn't much room to expand, but I reckon they did a good job of summarising what this car is all about. Hope you're happy with it.

#2016 koalasprint

koalasprint

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LX SS Hatch

Posted 08 September 2023 - 03:11 PM

Seeing it at the servo reminds me that it's dedicated LPG. Have you had any issues finding LPG servo's? Some of the servo's here have stopped selling it. And if you run out, the jerry can solution might not work without some magical Heath engineering.

Cheers, Steve.

#2017 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,380 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 08 September 2023 - 03:19 PM

If you buy (or make) a hose with the appropriate fittings on either end, you can use an inverted 9kg LPG bottle as a jerry can. It just takes a while to transfer because once the pressure equalises it's only gravity feeding the liquid in (and of course you have to hold it higher than the tank).

#2018 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 September 2023 - 09:47 AM

And I think the new external thread you see on 9kg bottles is the same as the automotive one???

#2019 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 09 September 2023 - 11:11 AM

top effort Heath 

i would love to have that interior trim in my A9X 

but alas 

i can,t change it

#2020 klevliend

klevliend

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 September 2023 - 08:00 PM

Good write up in the mag (though I can't compare to all 81 pages on this forum   ;) ).

Easily my favourite thing was seeing the photos pre-stripe, camping and at the Optima Challenge, next to the current photos with stripe. Seeing the photos side by side really drove home how elite the stripe and colour combo is, absolutely nailed it, takes it to a whole new level.

#2021 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 09 September 2023 - 08:38 PM

Eight pages in SM, or 81 pages here. I'll stick with this option.

PLUS questions are answered much quicker here!

#2022 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 September 2023 - 10:30 AM

Seeing the photos side by side really drove home how elite the stripe and colour combo is, absolutely nailed it, takes it to a whole new level.

I thought exactly the same thing.

#2023 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,127 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 10 September 2023 - 11:30 AM

Well done Heath 2 years ago i told a mate this car would be on the front cover of Street  Machine one day 

i was right 

He went and bought the magazine just to read up on your car and loves it 

Congrats on a great build son  :)

#2024 FLY_LX

FLY_LX

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Car:LX sedan

Posted 10 September 2023 - 11:12 PM

just saw fullboost vid.

sure looks like it holds the road like a champ :driving:

#2025 to fly

to fly

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 11 September 2023 - 10:41 AM

Gday All, Heath watched you on youtube last night, you have done a fantastic job with the Hatch, you spoke well and I enjoyed the bloopers at the end. Mate , im 61 now, and still playing with old cars, infact I started at 17 with a HR, so you never outgrow the passion, but im so impressed with the engineering on the old sunturd, i have a few problems with the cable clutch set up on my sons Hatch, keep busting the top off the cable, I might hit you up with a few questions, when your not out filming,lol, still got the old SS, my sons UC hatch, a mint old HR that handles like a sausage on a bbq plate,, and a tuff old bullnose Bronco, it never ends,lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users