• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:37 PM

ok, just thought i would ask, someone may be able to help me :D

---> Idicators only work when head lights are on

I have pulled the entire wireing harness out, and replaced it with a good one.

and now i have the same problem still?

when headlights are off, it still goes tick tick tick.. but no indicator lights work. also the lights in the dash dont work either.

could it be the whole headlight switch needs replacing, im going to go over the whole alot tomorow, just thought i would ask tonight for ideas.

Any help appeciated :spoton:

thanx,
nathan

#2 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:11 PM

What model torrie is it?
Does it have dual filament indicator/front parker globes?
Are you using a original holden flasher, if there is no load on the flasher it shouldnt go ....tick di tick.......or is there something else flashing when the blinkers are supposed to be.
For the moment have no idea, other than somehow the headlamp switch has been wired incorrectly. A possibility is the connections of the indicators at the fuse panel, do they only work with the headlamps on and ign on?
Do the correct rear lamps come on with the headlamps?

Edited by devilsadvocate, 24 June 2006 - 07:13 PM.

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:03 PM

sounds like the above is on the right track. maybe there is a short or cross connection in a duel fillament at the parker/blinker globe somewere?

#4 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:35 AM

thanx heaps,

ill sus all the connections out today,

as far as i know iv wired everything up perfect, but i didnt chek the connection to the indicators,

they have been in and out so its quite possible something aint hooked up right

cheers,
nathan

#5 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:40 PM

ToranaZ, it would be helpful if you answered the questions I asked - it will get you an answer faster if certain scenarios can be ruled out.

#6 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2006 - 01:20 PM

i work at night, i only just woke up at 1pm..

->model is uc
->Duel filament? no idea
-> a bosch flasher, came with the working replacement harness, last harness had original.
->the front blinkers, blink correcly but only when the headlights are on.
->when headlights are not on, it still goes tick tick, but no flashing
-> the headlight switch box thing, is a big ass loom that just clicks in, only goes in one way, nice and clean connections inside loom.
-> the previous harness burnout, so maybe it damaged the headlamp switch box?

going out now to wire it all up good

cheers :rockon:

#7 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2006 - 01:56 PM

Some questions that you overlooked, when the indicators work(with the headlamp switch on) does the ignition have to be in the on position.
Do all the parking lamps function as they should when you turn on the headlamp switch.
Does it matter if just the parkers are on(1st stop) or does it have to be out to 2nd stop for the indicators to work.
You have a non genuine flasher, not that this is a problem, however, it wont let you know when you have a blown bulb as it will flash faster when this happens.
The uc has separate indicator and parker lamps, (Id be very worried if any car had duelling filaments), complete indicator and headlight/parker circuits are independent of each other, obviously not in your vehicle.
One place to start is at the flasher cone itself. Two wires go to the flasher cone, dark blue from the fuse panel and violet which goes to a wiring connection harness and then to the indicator switch.
Are you handy with a voltmeter? Measure the voltage of the blue wire connection at the fuse terminal, when the ign is off and on. Should be 12v on, 0v off.
The only thing I can think of at this stage is that somehow you have the wire from the flasher then going to the headlamp switch and a wire from the switch then going up the column to the indicator switch.
Trace the purple wire that goes from the flasher and see that it makes its way to a 7 pin connector and then up the column, it should go nowhere near the headlamp switch

Edited by devilsadvocate, 25 June 2006 - 01:58 PM.

#8 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:36 PM

I would pull the bulbs and check if they have 2 contacts on the base of the bulb or 1...check that against what the bulb holders are.

#9 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:10 PM

Maybe a no-name indicator stalk wired up wrong?

#10 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:11 PM

Maybe a nonexistant body earth?

#11 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 25 June 2006 - 07:43 PM

a bad body earth can do wierd things! it happened to me, different things flashed and turned on/off when ever i touched anything.

#12 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:22 PM

just off the top of me head it sounds like you have the blinkers supplied from the headlights and the flasher is switching the blinker earth.

#13 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:26 PM

Yes, definitely check all earths, front panel to battery, all lamp earths.......though Im struggling to make the stated observations match a missing earth, info on the working state of the parking lamps would be good.

#14 LXdamo

LXdamo

Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Name:Damo
  • Car:bits here bits there.....

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:38 PM

uc has the light switch on the indicator stalk doesnt it?
If so i would check the stalk wiring.
Lots of problems with non genuine stalks burnin out interally,may have caused a short?

#15 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2006 - 02:00 AM

Anything is a possibilty ^, however, the indicator stalk wiring(flasher and wipers) is completely independent of the indicator switching mechanism and wiring and would be an unlikely cause.

#16 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:36 PM

High beam is on the stalk too isn't it?

#17 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:24 PM

Rodomo, there is one cable/loom of wires that goes to the indicator switch and one to the stalk. The stalk comes with wiring for the headlamps and windscreen washers. The indicator wires do not go to the stalk.
They are independent of each other, of course someone could go to a lot of troube and splice from one loom to the other, but would be very unlikely.

#18 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 12:03 AM

Yes devil I understand what you are saying but some aftermarket stalks have had issues where the pins in the plug that fits to the original loom are not in the right hole in the plug. I think there is a thread on this problem somewhere. I had this type of problem myself years ago on a Commodore.

#19 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:32 PM

Yes, appreciate ^ Rodomo, but when considering what would happen if wires were out of place in stalk, malfunction of lamps and wipers would be the most likely outcome.....though Im not ruling out the possibility of somehow the indicators being affected.
Anyway, hoping Toranaz can end all the speculation and give us an update on how he's going getting the prob sorted? (yes, we want to know)

#20 _switchedon_

_switchedon_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:31 PM

may sound silly to some people but i have seen it where the two plugs at the base of the steering column hav e been plugged in incorrectly, as you have a dip switch on the stalk and wipers etc you should have 2 long flat plugs check that the plugs are plugged into their respective partner plugs. just a guess but thats where i would start.

#21 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:11 AM

Update: :D

The problem now is the fuse for the indicators blows as soon as i turn ignition barrel??

I replaced the indicator stalk
I replaced the Headlamp switch
I have replaced the entire wireing harness

so the problem is either in my custom dash (which i cheked over and looks to be perfectly wired up) or its shorting out around the car somwhere. (but if it was shorting out around the car it wouldnt blow fuses just by turning the ingnition, i would have to use indicators)
could it be in the ingition switch?

going to spend today cheking all the wireing, i might even rebuild the custom dash.
ill make sure i update when i find the problem

cant wait to sort this problem out, its driving me crazy

,nathan

#22 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:11 AM

Custom dash?...........you might have mentioned it.........and answered some of the other questions posed........even if you think it is nothing to do with the prob

when the indicators work(with the headlamp switch on) does the ignition have to be in the on position.
Do all the parking lamps function as they should when you turn on the headlamp switch.
Does it matter if just the parkers are on(1st stop) or does it have to be out to 2nd stop for the indicators to work.

You have something else to work on for the moment.
If the indicator fuse goes when you turn the ign to on, then you have a short in the indicator or wiper circuits(since they are on the same fuse....when correctly wired)
Use a multimeter to work out which the short is in..........or simply disconnect one at a time and see which blows the fuse. Should be a yellow(wipers) and dark blue(indicators) wire that go from this fuse. (possibility of incorrect connections on wiper stalk)
Another approach, you have basically four items that could affect the indicators.
Remove connections to stalk, headlight switch and dash. Remove blue wire from indicator fuse and connect this direct to battery. Indicators should function, if they dont can only be prob at indicator switch. Im guessing that they will work fine, then start reconnecting the other components and see what causes a prob.
Good luck.

#23 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:39 PM

update!

I disconnected Every single loom. it still blew a fuse so i followed the blue wire to the flasher and its all fine, then followed the violet wire to the disconected loom, i cut open the platic over the harness, and that wire was perfect,

so it was either the flasher or the Yellow wire (wiper circuit)

The wiper motor was still connected, so im pretty sure that was it is, it came off the car for a clean and a paint, so i must have broke it and it shorts out.

I went out and bought 3AG 20AMP fuses as i ran out, then connected the wiper motor and the fuse doesnt blow. but it gets hot,

So im almost certain its the wiper motor thats the problem and nothing to do with the indicators.
im just hopeing that the yellow wire isnt shorting out aong its journey to the wiper motor, but! i had a play with the loom on the wiper motor with ignition on and got some sparks, so its got to be the wiper motor.

cant wait to fix it all up when i have some more time.

thanx for all your help guys!

#24 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2006 - 12:23 PM

Good to hear of your progress..........does disconnecting the power to the wiper motor return full function to the indicators?

#25 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:21 PM

yup :D Idicators are all perfect :spoton: so happy

put almost everything back together yesterday.

Although 2 of my custom dash bulbs are blown :( easy fix though, might try out some soldering this time on the bulbs, cant get small enough female crimps for em.

got a new wiper motor to go in today as well

hopefully no more problems!

thanx,
nathan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users