Posted 25 June 2006 - 11:23 PM

Has anyone built a 355 recently?
How much would you expect to pay ?
Are you happy with the results?

#2 _Lostit_

_Lostit_
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2006 - 03:15 PM

Hiya Mick... really depends what your budget and how much Hp you want, and with going budget is how reliable you want it.
For a killer reliable 550hp 355cu you looking at 20k.

Denis

PS SO hows me old motor going anyway ?

#3 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2006 - 02:25 AM

A lot depends on what you have to start with... If you have a useable block, a good set of heads, intake, exhaust, etc already, then really all you are paying for is a new crank and pistons, and possibly a set of rods (depending on the kit you go for). Add to that the normal rebuild costs (machining, bearings, gaskets etc) and I'd say that you could have a 400hp 355 for around the $5-6K mark.

If you are starting from scratch then that would be closer to $15K.

#4 _BCR42Y_

_BCR42Y_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:05 PM

I just rebuilt my 308, it was a 344 stroker.

It is now a 355, i already had the heads, although they cost me 2K to service and get new valves for etc, the machine work was also about 2K and the Come kit was $2750.

Plus gaskets, and bits and peices another $1500.

I am still running it in, but the last motor had about 380hp and it went good, but this motor is crazy, only revved it to about 4500rpm so far and it just spins, alot more torquer as well, can boot it in drive, and it will spin.

Labour was put in by my friend and me, but it was a fait few hours, so i am not sure what the rate would be, but it takes a while to do it right, had to mock assemble it a few times to check for clearance etc etc.

The end result, am i happy?

Of course i am, but its not a street motor, thats for sure!

#5 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2006 - 03:05 PM

The Constonant "v" and the number "8" should no longer be used in conjuction with the words "practical street engine"... Unless you have deep pockets.

$$$ Long live the Middle Eastern Fatcats! $$$$

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users