[LJ] Am i flogging a dead horse? or is this repairable

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 _05-BROCKY-05_

_05-BROCKY-05_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:23 PM

Hi guys, 

I've been a member here for quite a long time now and have owned my LJ for ten years. Due to other commitments i haven't been able to give the time nor find the funds to work on this LJ. 

Recently the family basically gave me a ultimatum to either start work on it or sell it....i chose to sell as dad lost all my tags and i thought "why spend money and time building something i cant register and enjoy on the road". After some research and phone calls i found out i would be able to still register the vehicle in NSW so decided its time to fix this car up.

Having sat with a car cover on it for the last ten years has taken its toll on the car in certain areas (floors, dash). From the b pillars back the car is in amazing condition really, very little to no bog in the car, panels are straight, minimal dents, minimal rust (usual spots such as around rear window, spare wheel well, etc), panel gaps are good. Keeping in mind i have not been able to get under the car yet to inspect the chassis rails in the rear, i can only assume they are in as decent condition as the parts of the car that have survived the elements.

Unfortunately the car cover got a hole in it on the passengers side it seems and the dash now has a rust hole in it and the passengers floor pan seems to have significant rust in it which continues up to the inner sill section??, you'll see what i mean in the photos below. The drivers front floor pan also has a large rust hole due to a dodgy repair by previous owner, haven't yet cut much out to inspect chassis rail.

Anyway the main point of the thread, the chassis rail on the passengers side has quite a bit of rust damage to the top section of it. The bottom section seems to still have strength, now its only this floor pan area that is damaged, the firewall sections are clean. Is this sort of repair worth the money to have done? I've been checking prices on cars in reasonable condition and most seem to go for anywhere from $5000 - $10,000, and im quite sure if most of them were blasted they'd have some nasties hiding, so for me its a case of work with what i know or buy someone elses headache.

Aside from the floor issue the drivers A pillar needs replacing (have left a deposit on replacement pillar, cowl and dash already), and being the rear end is in such good condition i feel, even though it will cost me a bit, the cars not an impossible task. Is it worth me chasing some chassis rails from someone? are they better to be replaced as a whole or can i have sections repaired safely?? 

I have approached a few people regarding the repairs, one shop who offers blasting close to me said they also do rust repairs. They will blast behind the sills and in every crevice they can get access to, they will repair all rust and use rust converter everywhere possible also, and they will get every body line and panel gap the same. I'm already planning on buying replacement guards, nose cone, radiator support and front valance. I'll also be looking at replacement sills.

Sorry for the essay but i really wanted to give you the best idea of what im dealing with. I am willing to work my ass off and spend what needs to be spent to get this car to the level i want. If i could get a registerable shell in better condition for a good price that was registerable in NSW i would definitely buy it, but at this stage it looks like ill have to work with what i've got.

This shop will undergo mini tubbing also as well as chassis strengthening if i choose to slap an 8 in this thing, so i am leaning towards them to do my work.

BOOT:

Boot_zps32000bdb.jpg

Wheel-Well_zps05d298b4.jpg

DRIVERS FLOOR/A PILLAR:

RH-Floorpan_zps9e55ffbf.jpg

RH-Sill-Pillar_zpse8a32e0b.jpg

DSC_0112_zps8ae593b4.jpg

DSC_0113_zps8c426372.jpg

REAR FLOOR:

Rear-Floorpan_zps2a0087e0.jpg

PASSENGERS FLOOR/CHASSIS RAIL:

LH-floorpan2_zpsce542a6e.jpg

LH-floorpan_zpsbb19fb55.jpg

LH-Chassis-Rail_zpsf9a443a0.jpg

CAR AS IT SITS CURRENTLY:

DSC_0101_zps7a3d8642.jpg

Thanks for reading

Dean

#2 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:28 PM

Hi 05-BROCKY-05,

Donor 4cyl Car needed + Rare Spares for the Reproductions Bits, all good if you want to keep. Dave I

#3 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:29 PM

Long time no see Dean, its lcboi :D

Think we lost touch when i lost msn chat haha, wow that was a long time ago....think you were making custom pencils at the time....

Car is fixable. If your looking to fix it up and then sell it you will be in for a massive loss. If your looking to fix it up and enjoy it then go for it.

Cheers mate.

#4 kiwi-lilj

kiwi-lilj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Name:Blair
  • Car:LIL J

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:42 PM

It's just a 4 door, so don't waste your time or money.

The general will sleep easy knowing that parts from this car will help a 2 door live longer.

#5 _05-BROCKY-05_

_05-BROCKY-05_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

Haha, haven't looked at msn in years, but i certainly remember you mate, i remember photoshopping your car blue when i think it was light green.In answer to your questions this car is a keeper, if i build it, it is staying with me along with my subaru liberty. To help fund this car i am going to sell off my Forester GT though, which i love to bits but it has to be done.

Tory Power, i will look into a donor 4 cyl, will a TA have the same chassis/floor dimensions?

#6 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

The general will sleep easy knowing that parts from this car will help a 2 door live longer.

Pretty much on the money

#7 _05-BROCKY-05_

_05-BROCKY-05_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:48 PM

I prefer a sedan over the coupe, the coupes have been done to death. Cars are a hobby for me, so it isnt a waste of time nor money if i get enjoyment out of the vehicle in the end, the way i see it if you do it for the money or end value of the car, then whats the point of calling it your hobby.

#8 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:52 PM

not sure - but the lc 4 cyl is the go

#9 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:03 AM

4 cyl isn't much good to you

Unless your just going to cut pieces off it and fit them to yours

A body swap would be difficult as all the suspension pick up points are different and would need mods of scale to make work

#10 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:08 AM

not sure - but the lc 4 cyl is the go

TA same as LC & LJ 4cyl.

Sections of chassis rails can be replaced. The various sections that make up a complete rail were all available as spare parts.

#11 hawk

hawk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts
  • Name:steve
  • Car:UC Torana

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:09 AM

I would recommend buying a better shell the one you have looks a little too far gone. Only fix it if it has sentimental value otherwise value for money, use it as parts for a better shell.

Also have a look at some of mikecatts work he has done some amazing rust repairs that would be good inspiration.

#12 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:32 AM

Pretty much on the money

Apparently two frOcking tossers who have no passion at all for older cars, merely care for whats in vogue...

Stupid hipsters.

#13 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:02 AM

the way i see it if you do it for the money or end value of the car, then whats the point of calling it your hobby.

Fair call there..

Like Steve mentioned, take a look at Mike's work in this section & in members build's. He's repaired some pretty bad stuff & that'll give you some good motivation. Otherwise, I see that he's selling a 4 door shell for 3k that could save you some cost/headaches in the long run, & he has a thread on it as well so you know whats been done to it. But I'd imagine that if you've kept this car for as long as you have, there would be some sentimental attachment there..

http://www.gmh-toran...ed/#entry764722

#14 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:01 AM

Good luck, looks like a lot of work...

Apparently two frOcking tossers who have no passion at all for older cars, merely care for whats in vogue...

Stupid hipsters.

Hipsters is generous.... http://www.urbandict...hp?term=hipster

I prefer this.... http://www.urbandict...?term=Old Phart

#15 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Martin
  • Car:LJ Coupe S

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:09 AM

Hi 05 Brocky 05, I'd find another shell/car and use yours for parts. If you can see that much rust already means there's so much more you can't. Mikes shell would be perfect, he does great work. I'm also with the two door boys, don't waste your money unless this car has real history with you. Even Mike will not repair another sedan, they just don't have the value. They all cost the same to fix-up and one day you will have to sell it. Marty

Edited by sibhs, 27 July 2013 - 08:09 AM.

#16 kiwi-lilj

kiwi-lilj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Name:Blair
  • Car:LIL J

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

Stupid hipsters.

What part of Africa are you in as you appear to be living in the land of De Nile.

#17 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

It's got no tags and for what you spend on rust repairs you could get something decent. With tags.

It's basically a 3 legged horse with a bad case of mange.

I'd shoot the poor old bugger.

#18 _05-BROCKY-05_

_05-BROCKY-05_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

It has some sentimental value but not enough to warrant my decision. Tags dont worry me too much as if i find something with tags, get it blasted theres a high chance im going to find rust/bog galore, even more than this one has (xu1 rust thread from mikecatts), its all a risk at the end of the day. The issue with the sedan mike is selling is that it also has no tags and if it has no history in NSW the RTA wont allow it to be registered. For what im wanting to do with the car all i need is a shell, i dont need interior, engine, box, grill or windows. i really dont even need bonnet or boot. But if i get another shell i would prefer to know its got no rust or very little rust and can be registered in my state. I tried doing some sort of check on mikes 4 dr, spent the cash, got no result so who knows.

#19 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

It has a chassis number, surely it can be registered.

#20 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

That car is rooted.

#21 _05-BROCKY-05_

_05-BROCKY-05_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

It has a chassis number, surely it can be registered.

Maybe someone can clarify this for me. After speaking with the RTA they said because my car is listed as having previously having rego on their database (last rego'd 2002) i can still register it here again without tags, but if the car does not have history with them (anything more than 15 years?) i will have a lot of trouble getting it done. Can someone shed light here, coz obviously if i will not have any issues with mikes sedan i'd much prefer to purchase it.

#22 _toranatime_

_toranatime_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

It is definitely fixable with a lot of work but is it worth it to you? If it is then do it. But cost wise, if you buy a better shell it will definitely save you time and money and use your one for donor parts. But if you are set on doing this car, i believe you would be best buying another car as a donor for it anyway. By the looks of it a full floor pan would be needed, both door pillars, inner sills and chassis rail pieces, all parts that are not very easy to find in good condition (chassis pieces not so much). Some pieces could probably be hand made but if you aren't doing any body work yourself it will cost a fortune.  

Just up to you to weigh it up.

cheers

#23 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

4 dr or 2dr, it doesn't matter, whatever turns you on is what's important. People have done some really nice 4 dr's over the years and performance wise it will be no different to a 2dr with all the same gear. Personally though, your car does need lots of work that will cost you a motza to fix if you pay an expert to fix it all. Do you really want to suffer the panel shop headaches when the repair bill starts climbing way over their original estimate?

I reckon you could easily spend 20k just on paint and panel on your car to have the job done properly, plus add all the other costs of driveline, trim, suspension etc etc.

There have been some really decent LJ GTR's (with tags) for sale lately for around the 35k mark that you could buy, hop in and drive away for the same sort of coin you'll spend on your 4 dr.

Ultimately the choice is yours and I know half the fun is in doing the restoration and putting your heart and soul into your pride and joy.

#24 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

I was in a similar situation a few years ago with a car that I had a lot of history with.

I ended up buying a shell to transfer the parts but it never happened.

I eventually bought a GTR because;

a. That is what I really wanted anyway

b. although I never intend to sell it, I know I can spend a few bucks on it and it make it more valuable.

c. the missus said I could

Problem with a 4 door is you can spend 100k on it and you would still struggle to sell it for more than 10. Sure they will go up in value over time, but to be brutally honest, I don't think that car is worth the effort.

If you can get a nice shell, ie reduce your panel and paint costs, go for it.

#25 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

Might be worth a look?

http://www.ebay.com....7562a620&_uhb=1

0 user(s) are reading this topic