r2160

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Name:Glenn
  • Car:2/71 LC GTR, 4/71 LC 4 'S'

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

At the end of the day, it is your choice. It is just metal and there are a few people on here that have cars that are selling rust repair sections.

People keep talking about resale value. My LC 4 door was my grandfathers. It doesnt matter to me what the end value is, it only matters what the car means to me. To say that a 4 door is worthless to me is a pretty pointless statement. If people here added up what they spend on their cars, I dont think that many of the vehicles on here would make their creators any money!

If you intend to do the work yourself, your labour to you is free. After watching many youtube videos on sheet metal work, anything is possible with practice.

cheers

Glenn

#27 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Name:Garth
  • Car:UC S̶u̶n̶b̶i̶r̶d̶ 5000!

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

Look at how many of us are rebuilding UC's... clearly resale is not a major factor for most of us, and everyone knows you never get back what you spend on a good resto anyway. If your shell is too far gone or too much work I'd go for Mikecatts shell as others have mentioned, assuming you can register it with just a chassis no...

#28 _05-BROCKY-05_

_05-BROCKY-05_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

I have spoken again to the RTA and they said that the shell Mike is selling is registerable in NSW once roadworthy. Im in the process of working out current finances to see if i can afford to purchase that shell, if i can ill chuck mine on ebay and see what happens from there.

Thanks for the help and comments thus far guys, it is much appreciated.

#29 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

Just a thought....

If you are scratching pennies together at this stage of the game then it is highly unlikely you

will be able to afford a full rebuild on anything at all in the near future.

These things take LOADS of commitment, which you have shown none of in the last 10 years.

There is also the loads of cash issue.

Plus, it doesn't look like you have anywhere to store or work on it.

Don't kid yourself that you will get out of this for under 30 grand (probably a good deal more) if you are paying for all the work.

This might sound a bit harsh, but reading between the lines I reckon you need a reality check.

Good luck with what ever choice you make. I would love to be proved wrong.

#30 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Martin
  • Car:LJ Coupe S

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

Harsh but true wot179. You must have surplus money, time, motivation, space and a cooperative partner. Not necesary in that order. I'm quarter way through a build and can see how easy it is to loose motivation. Good luck. Marty

Edited by sibhs, 27 July 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#31 _05-BROCKY-05_

_05-BROCKY-05_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

Although harsh it is the truth and i understand that. What got in the way of the car last few years aside from a heap of personal family issues, i started modifying my daily and now thats at a level im comfortable with i have the time and can afford to get the work done to whatever car i decide to start with. To say i havnt had committment is a little out of line as everyone knows sometimes life throws shit in your way and hobbies must be put aside and maintaining a daily comes ahead of a project.

Thanks for the input again.

#32 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

Apparently two frOcking tossers who have no passion at all for older cars, merely care for whats in vogue...

Stupid hipsters.

Settle down bomber just telling it how it is bud i dont mind 4 doors at all i just like coupes better is that a crime
as for whats in vogue spending money on rust buckets is not high on my priority list

#33 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

On an LC/LJ, same body and shape....just 2 less doors. 

IMHFO, that car is too far gone for anyone but a metal master with tonnes of time.

You'll get a far better shell for very little and already be way infront.

#34 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

Mate my 2cents is move this old girl on and save your penny's and buy something that is complete and going and start enjoying driving it.

The market is down on theses cars so if you know what to look for you should pick up something decent.

Cheers

#35 kiwi-lilj

kiwi-lilj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Name:Blair
  • Car:LIL J

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

Attached File  DSC_0101_zps7a3d8642.jpg   123.73K   2 downloads

Attached File  1332359704-dead-and-malnourished-horses-are-found-in-a-field-in-newtownabbey_1117824.jpg   138.95K   3 downloads

Same same !

#36 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

Lol.

#37 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

Mate my 2cents is move this old girl on and save your penny's and buy something that is complete and going and start enjoying driving it.
The market is down on theses cars so if you know what to look for you should pick up something decent.
Cheers

Dane is spot buy something already done and drive straight away not 5 years time

spot on to

I think the horse has less rust blair lol

#38 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

I have 3 wrecks in the paddock at the farm in much better nick than that and I am using them as donors, so I would go the find good shell track

#39 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

Just a thought....

If you are scratching pennies together at this stage of the game then it is highly unlikely you

will be able to afford a full rebuild on anything at all in the near future.

These things take LOADS of commitment, which you have shown none of in the last 10 years.

There is also the loads of cash issue.

Plus, it doesn't look like you have anywhere to store or work on it.

Don't kid yourself that you will get out of this for under 30 grand (probably a good deal more) if you are paying for all the work.

This might sound a bit harsh, but reading between the lines I reckon you need a reality check.

Good luck with what ever choice you make. I would love to be proved wrong.

says the man who still hasn't finished his 20 year hr project :)
tbh i'd throw that shell away and start again with something more complete and rust free
....and maybe build a shed to store/work on it too

Edited by Quagmire, 27 July 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#40 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

How much you want for that horse Blair... ?

#41 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:07 PM

How much you want for that horse Blair... ?Its no black caviar mark

#42 _05-BROCKY-05_

_05-BROCKY-05_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

Lol, you know your thread doing well when someone searches for a pic of a dead horse to post in it.

Anyway at the moment I'm doing my research into Mike's sedan he has repaired. I don't want to buy a more complete car, or One ready to drive for that matter as I have a lot of plans for this build and couldn't forgive myself for destroying something that's on the road and in good condition. This is also my reason for not looking at a GTR, yeah I'd love One but until I get this mod bug out of my system I'm best to leave them to owners that will keep them as they should be kept.

After a lot of the comments in this thread, especially from those who have tackled building a car I can honestly say trying to fix my current car is probably not ideal. That's not to say it's too far gone but I can really save myself a good $10,000 or more by purchasing the rust free lj Mike has.

As for building a shed, it's not something really doable where I live. But in saying that there's a bit of work being done on our yard over the next few months and once that work is complete the car will be back under cover again. So I'll be storing it until then.

#43 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:34 PM

http://www.ebay.com....e-/151086330831
or if your cheap.....
http://www.superchea...id=164891#Combo

#44 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

I'll echo the rest about the condition of your shell and getting a good rust free one, by the looks of it you are starting on the right track with Mikes shell.

One important thing you need to sort out right from the start is how much coin you have available, how much you want to spend then double it and add a bit more.

To date Tracie's car has cost around $22k and that's not including he purchase price and I still have a little way to go yet. When I started it I planed for about $30k. We'll see how that goes.

#45 _imj411_

_imj411_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

Hi, have a crack at fixing it, you owe it to the old girl if you let it get into that state. Yes they are right it is easier to start with a better car but there will always be a better car regardless of what you start with, cheers Aaron.

#46 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:06 AM

Hi, have a crack at fixing it, you owe it to the old girl if you let it get into that state. Yes they are right it is easier to start with a better car but there will always be a better car regardless of what you start with, cheers Aaron.

that shell will cost a minimum of 10k in parts and labor to fix....
sentimental value or not it's cheaper and easier to get another one that's had the hard work done
otherwise i can see it taking another 20 years before it hits the road again

#47 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:39 AM

Don't drink Beer for a year is a saving of 5k, but the motivation is gone.

Keep drinking and the job is done. Dave I

#48 _05-BROCKY-05_

_05-BROCKY-05_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:00 AM

Well I don't drink so that's out. I work six days a week so other than a few bills currently I'm pretty freed up funds wise to start getting into this. If I had all the right gear I'd happily start having a crack at fixing it myself.

#49 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

Don't drink Beer for a year is a saving of 5k, but the motivation is gone.
Keep drinking and the job is done. Dave I

Only $5k.... Lightweight !

#50 _05-BROCKY-05_

_05-BROCKY-05_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

Well I'm on the hunt for a new shell!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users