Noise Pollution Tickets

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 _05-BROCKY-05_

_05-BROCKY-05_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

I'll start with my story.

Last night while driving to the local shops i was stopped in traffic with my friends in my car, the stereo was on but not up loud at all and an officer who parked her car got out to cross the road (illegally i might add, bloody j walkers), she stopped behind my car and photographed my number plate then walked off. Can she some how issue me a ticket because she could hear my stereo from outside the car?, all my windows were down so its inevitable that she could hear the music a bit, but she was standing not 2 metres from the vehicle so i'd be suprised at that distance if she couldnt hear it.

Nothing has happened as of yet but people are saying that she can issue me a ticket without even speaking to me or pulling me over, i just want some clarification here, and if i recieve a fine do i question it, i mean i have never recieved a fine in my entire 11 years of driving and i've never been pulled over and aside from that i'm not even known to the police for anything.

Dean

#2 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

Rock N Roll aint Noise Pollution tell them

#3 _Kidshorsesme_

_Kidshorsesme_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

Rock N Roll aint Noise Pollution tell them

Yeah but listening to Justin Beiber IS .... and is just plain WRONG !!! :-)

#4 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

I'll start with my story.

Last night while driving to the local shops i was stopped in traffic with my friends in my car, the stereo was on but not up loud at all and an officer who parked her car got out to cross the road (illegally i might add, bloody j walkers), she stopped behind my car and photographed my number plate then walked off. Can she some how issue me a ticket because she could hear my stereo from outside the car?, all my windows were down so its inevitable that she could hear the music a bit, but she was standing not 2 metres from the vehicle so i'd be suprised at that distance if she couldnt hear it.

Nothing has happened as of yet but people are saying that she can issue me a ticket without even speaking to me or pulling me over, i just want some clarification here, and if i recieve a fine do i question it, i mean i have never recieved a fine in my entire 11 years of driving and i've never been pulled over and aside from that i'm not even known to the police for anything.

Dean

you should have asked for the badge number and id and noted it down
it's a legal requirement to provide it if requested
you'll know within 3 months...but you can always question it
you could report the "suspicious behaviour" of a certain individual at the time
don't mention marked cop car or uniform but :)

#5 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

an officer who parked her car got out to cross the road (illegally i might add, bloody j walkers), she stopped behind my car and photographed my number plate then walked off. Can she some how issue me a ticket because she could hear my stereo from outside the car?

What's to say it was the noise?

She can't prove what dB you were blaring with a photo.

Did you or any of your friends have an arm hanging out the window?

Anything else defective looking on your car?

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 04 September 2013 - 02:34 PM.

#6 _05-BROCKY-05_

_05-BROCKY-05_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

No arms out the window, the car is lowered but above 100mm, exhaust is noisy but not illegal (unless you put the boot in), she would know there was a blow off valve, otherwise no its 100% legal.

I didnt think of questioning her at the time, i was shocked that it had happened and slightly worried about why it happened. If i do get anything i may contest it.

#7 _fatlh5000_

_fatlh5000_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

it is a bit hard to book you for noise pollution unless you have a noise reading.

just like getting a speeding ticket for being photographed going fast- unless you have a speed/ radar reading.

The worst that could happen is you may get an EPA referral. That is the worst case scenario that I could imagine.

#8 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,597 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:08 PM

Obvious question - are you or your car interesting looking? What car were you driving? Apologies if you have mentioned and I missed it.
There is no requirement in Victoria for the police to stop you for them to send you a notice for noise. You then have a brief period to obtain a complying test result at an approved tester before they suspend your reg.
Maybe she thought you were cute!

#9 lcgtr1970

lcgtr1970

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jordan

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

Yeah in Nsw you can get a notice to attend EPA testing in the mail even though you didn't get pulled over. All it takes is someone to make a complaint that your vehicle is "too loud". This can come from an officer... Or a whingy neighbour. It costs $60 regardless if you are too loud or not. Crock of shit I say.

#10 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

Yeah but listening to Justin Beiber IS .... and is just plain WRONG !!! :-)

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa  well u should be arrested if you had Beiber on

#11 _stretchlc_

_stretchlc_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:02 PM

May I ask how you work out she would have known you had a blow off valve if the car was stationary?

#12 _05-BROCKY-05_

_05-BROCKY-05_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

She wouldn't I was just stating what could be defected if sent to epa. My blow off valve doesn't open till after 4k anyway so no one can tell unless they look under the bonnet.

#13 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

Yeah in Nsw you can get a notice to attend EPA testing in the mail even though you didn't get pulled over. All it takes is someone to make a complaint that your vehicle is "too loud". 

I could be wrong but don't they they have to receive more than one complaint?  

They're aware of prank callers, ex-girfriends & people that may have a gripe against you.

s

#14 _05-BROCKY-05_

_05-BROCKY-05_
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

Alrighty, i got clarification from a highway patrol officer. You cannot be sent to the EPA for an audio system, you can however recieve a fine in the mail of $150 if it was heard to be up loud.

The EPA inspection will only cover exhaust noise and pollution, but you can attend certain exhaust shops who can provide you with a certificate for the sound of your exhaust which if shown at a EPA testing centre well exempt you from that particular test. Well this is what i was told from a highway patrol officer today.

#15 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

You cannot be sent to the EPA for an audio system, you can however recieve a fine in the mail of $150 if it was heard to be up loud.

How will they be able to prove how loud it was?

s

#16 _05-BROCKY-05_

_05-BROCKY-05_
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

He said fi you can hear it from a distance then its too loud, or if stuff around is rattling lol, then its too loud. But you can contest anyway because they cant physically prove the exact volume without testing.

#17 Bernie

Bernie

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Car:2 lx Hatches and 3 lx 4 doors

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:36 PM

Tell them that you are actually riding your Harley Davidson .Seem to be able to make as much noise as you like with them over this side with out any problems from the establishment

#18 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:41 PM

As a harley rider, I have to disagree.

Plus, loud pipes save lives :D

#19 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:57 PM

As a harley rider, I have to disagree.

Plus, loud pipes save lives :D

Agree with that. 

#20 WA1TNC

WA1TNC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Name:Nig
  • Car:HX ute(daily) LH Torana(Harrop Blown LS1) in the build

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:29 AM

I had a VR Senator that was loud, but I never once got pulled over though. I had the car parked all wkend but stupid me drove down the main st of shep(Vic) one morn to get breakfast of the springnats wkend....2wks or so later I got a letter from the EPA saying my vehicle was whitenessed on blaa blaa rd in shep by orifice blaa blaa, & I needed to get it tested at a cert tester to prove that it is under the dB limit.

In all honestly it was prob over the limit but I got it swapped & them got it tested so I past, but it's the fact that someone can just take it opon themselves to say that they deem it too loud without measuring it with anything metering equipment what so ever & make me pay however much to get it checked gives me the sh1ts!

Don't get me wrong, if I'm caught/ measured/ timed/ observed/ alleged/ seen, blaa blaa fu&kn blaa'd & it can be proven with physical evidence....not just he said/she said bullsh1t then fair call, ill cop that. But I've had too many things now in my 10+ yrs of driving that I wish I asked the question or kicked up a stink about instead of saying 'yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir' because I recon more than half were a 'hit & hope' by those who have the power & we the sheep just go along with it.

Cheers, Nig.

#21 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

Agree with that. 

I also agree, unfortunately my neighbours don't.

:(

s

#22 kiwi-lilj

kiwi-lilj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Name:Blair
  • Car:LIL J

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

Yeah it's f ing awesome living next door to a neighbor with a new hardley !!!!

#23 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 30 March 2024 - 03:03 PM

Found this Vic Police exhaust sound testing today:

https://www.youtube....h?v=N7QUYJzIP9o

#24 Kevrev

Kevrev

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:73 LJ GTR, 77 LX SS 253 Manual
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2024 - 04:41 PM

That's not Victoria Police as in Australia, not with the cars all being left hand drive - maybe Victoria Canada?

Can't quite see what's written on the number plates or the Police officers uniform. Still interesting though

#25 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 30 March 2024 - 04:46 PM

That's not Victoria Police as in Australia, not with the cars all being left hand drive - maybe Victoria Canada?

Can't quite see what's written on the number plates or the Police officers uniform. Still interesting though

Crikie Kevin,

Good pick-up,

and to the reading I seen in Australia is 81db max @ 3200 RPM.  :furious:  :3gears:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users