DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:39 PM

None. i did say i THOUGHT they chewed through juice...

Thats just what ive heard.

RIM

#53 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:45 PM

:google: IT !

#54 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:46 PM

RIM a 13B is only a 1.3ltr motor, very efficiant for the output..

John

#55 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:53 PM

i dont have enough money to be googlin' rotaries... i go through $5 a week on these forums...

but yeah, i see what ya mean know (thanks John)

RIM

#56 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:59 PM

Kudu, there are plenty of younguns on here.

RIM-010 - 15
Heath - 15
Liam.W - 13
chevy_253_torana - 15

I cant think of any more lol.

RIM

Cripes..........I thought I was one of the young ones on here at 32!!

Rotories..............Where to start........Well the town I grew up in wasn't large enough to have different "factions" I had V8 Holdens, some of my mates had turbo 4's and some had Rotories (And still do 16 years later.) I don't mind them, if I had to choose then it would be the early models..RX2's, RX3's and RX4's. From spending many hours hooning in one I know a few things about them.
1...They go like the clappers!!!!!!!!!! Fair Dinkum (I am practising my aussie lingo.) I used to get a bit scared when driving in a mates RX4 and seeing the speedo go past 230kmh.
2...The are expensive to run. No matter what anyone says. When going long distance trips in convoy a mate with a 12APP with 48mmIDA in a RX3 was stopping to fill up more than me in my 253 powered UC.
3...They are no good when you have 5 guys in a RX3 coupe and you want to pull a trailer load of sand.

My 2cents worth.

#57 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 June 2006 - 09:03 PM

THANKYOU KUDU! Someone agrees with me!

RIM

#58 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:51 PM

12APP is abit extreme PP stands for Peripheral Port witch is the largest posible port to a rotory and it would be like comparing it to a solid cammed race ported piston engine, i bet his 12APP would rip the UC253 a new asshole..

Rotorys are far more efficiant for the capacity to a piston motor, Try getting a 1200cc piston motor to perform like a 12A..

As for a car full of meatheads yeh they are shit, my RX3 13B Bridge port would boogie alone, soon as my meat head mates jumped in it was slower then a 1600gemini..

John

Edited by TORANASS, 30 June 2006 - 10:51 PM.

#59 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 01 July 2006 - 06:36 AM

You are right about a couple of things John, The 12A PP did leave my old UC for dead. (Unless he was towing a trailer full of sand. :D ) I was aware that the PP meant Periphial port as well. My mate who had a RX2 had a 13B J port in his, so I have had some experience in some pretty wild rotories.

I don't agree with your effeciency statement though. When I think of effiency I think of fuel effeciency, and these cars definately didn't fit in that catergory. I would say that they have potential. They have the potential for high performance where the 1200cc piston motor doesn't normally.

I have found that they seem to be more highly strung and prone for imitating the hand grenade............ :D

Edited by kudu, 01 July 2006 - 06:41 AM.

#60 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2006 - 12:03 PM

I think there is too types of efficency here we are talking about. Fuel efficency and energy effciecny.

I believe that the rotary engines for there size tend to be bad on the fuel. But for there size they do provide lots of power, but not necessarly lots of torque

That said, no i have never owned one so i am probably not really qualified to talk about it.

I believe the Rotary it more efficent in its use of energy because it spins, rather than goes back and forth like a piston engine and i think you will find there is energy loss there.

However if you really want to be technical i think you will find that the energy produced by a petrol engine that translates into turing force is very low. Lots of energy is lost in heat, exhaust and noise.

You are all welcome to disagree with what i have said... but at least consider it. :tease: :spoton:

Steve

#61 _G-Train_

_G-Train_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2006 - 12:31 PM

^^Agreed

I have lots of mates with Rotors.

One guy sitting next to me now at work has a Series 4 RX7 in the car park now with a 13bt pumping 400 at the treads and they are Sh1t on fuel efficiency when you go over the 300hp mark apparently.

Also quite low on torque, but by F*** if its got 1 person in it, there are not many cars that keep up with it to 200kph, including my other mates 600hp VL wagon sitting across from me.

Cheers and go the Rotors :spoton:

#62 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 01 July 2006 - 02:35 PM

Rotes DONT make Torque.. thats why theyre great with turbos ( torque multiplyers) and in light cars!

Anyway.. this isnt a discussion about the merits of rotary engines, Suffice it to say that they've finally worked out how ot get em to hold together and they go like teh clappers! $4000 for a full house complete race engine is rather appealing too....( complete means the complete assembled engine.. NO bolt on parts at all.. just the "block"..)

Cheers

#63 _Red Dragon_

_Red Dragon_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2006 - 05:10 PM

I love the sound of the rx3 in the video clip awesome.
I'm a torana fan while my brother is a fan of the S6 RX-7 (dream car).
Also welcome Mazda Rotary Boy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users