Photo

Removing a snapped head stud. Pressed in type.

stud head snapped pinned

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Torryhead

Torryhead

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Name:Dan
  • Car:74 LH
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

Hi guys, 

I have a snapped head stud in my fuelie heads. It is a pressed in type that is drilled and roll pinned. So i'm looking for any ideas on how to get it out??? I really want to do it with the heads still on. Check out the pics and let me know. 

Cheers, 

Attached Files

#2 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Lord Humungus The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:LJ GTR

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

You mean snapped rocker stud... I would remove pushrod & try to pry the roll pin out with side cutters or such...

#3 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

I'd leave the roll pin, drill and tap the stud, screw in bolt, remove roll pin, then pull it out

#4 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

That or remove the roll pin then weld a nut on it.

#5 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

Then after you get the new stud installed you have the issue of drilling the roll pin hole in the hardened steel stud by hand and hope you get the drill bit aligned correctly with the existing hole in the pedestal.

Take the head off and get your engine builder to replace the stud so you know it's all done right.

#6 Torryhead

Torryhead

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:12 AM

Thanks for the info guys. And yes, apologies, I meant rocker stud.

#7 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:21 AM

id be trying to remove the rollpin then drill and tap the remaining stud with a 6mm thread, screw in a bolt and try to pull it out with a slide hammer.

#8 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

I'm thinking that the roll pin will help keep it from spinning in the head as he drills and taps it (not that it should, but better to be safe than sorry)

#9 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

I've seen a friend remove a broken head stud with a screwdriver.  The broken stud wasn't broken flat; the top surface was uneven and he got the screwdriver tip and placed it on a high point close to the outside edge of the stud then slowly tapped the handle of the screwdriver with a light hammer and the stud slowly started to unscrew enough to get some pliers around it.

You may also want to check these out:

https://www.google.c...6HMPAkAWA2oGgBQ

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 18 September 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#10 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:27 PM

Its pressed in, Stephen.

#11 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

Its pressed in, Stephen.

d'Oh!

s

#12 _XU1Bitchin_

_XU1Bitchin_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:41 PM

Hay guys that engine being a chev is prone to a valve bounce at high RPM there could be more damage better he just take the heads off inspect the top of the pistons if there ok that valves haven't hit get some ARP studs and TRW guide plated send them to the machinist to have them fitted

#13 Bernie

Bernie

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Car:2 lx Hatches and 3 lx 4 doors

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:36 AM

I would be taking off the heads and getting any of the rocker studs that have been pinned removed  and screw in studs installed with some guide plates for your push rods .You are running roller rockers and obviously a cam with a "bit of lift " and some extra spring tension . 3/8 pins aren't that strong as it is .Also the roll  pin is in the worst possible place  for weakening the stud .

Good luck

#14 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

^^^, sh%t yeah, I thought the break looked unusual. I see whats happened now, the stud has snapped off at the roll pin hole. The remaining stud shaft is all below the roll pin.

#15 Torryhead

Torryhead

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

I'm thinking of just replacing it with a new stud and not drilling it for the pin. T=You are absolutely right about the weak spot. Why on earth would you drill a 3/8 stud with such a big roll pin. It just sheared right off at the pin. 

I'm going to replace the heads soon so I need a fix to get me back on the road. I figure just a pressed in stud will be fine for now. Chev did it for years from factory. I dont have a very lumpy cam and the donk is pushing about 255HP at the rears with about 305nm torque... She is a modest little baby. 

#16 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

You could always add some thread/stud locker sorta stuff to perhaps help hold it in as well..

Or I could weld it to the head for you :P   lol...

#17 _XU1Bitchin_

_XU1Bitchin_
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

I really cant remember seeing fuel y heads with this role pin in the past i have two sets both do not have this

It seems like the problem has been that the press fitted stud from factory had came loose over the years and a preiveis owner has had this done to the heads A quick bogd job on them already if GMH did do this the design would of been changed pronto because there is no dought what you have there is what people would of ended up with a set of fuel y heads with all the rocker studs snapped off

sorry to say that there is no quick fix for this as a backyard mechanic  :3gears:

#18 _tryhard_

_tryhard_
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

in the early days we used to drill the centre of the stud boss  and this is what happens after a while you can drill a hole into the centre and tap a thread into the broken stud and pull it out if you press a new stud into place but don't put a roll pin in the same place it will break again now if you don't want to fit screw in studs you should drill the hole to go threw the edge of the stud so it's stronger and won't break  you will be chasing your tail if one's broke the rest won't be far behind I recomend you go the cost and fit screw in studs hope this helps

#19 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

All fixed... :)

For now at least... ha ha..  We did the broken one just for now, and eventually I think he is going to get heads for it.  Who ever did the engine work originally, and had the "heads done" needs a talking too.. it has no stem seals...the giant roll pins just waiting for the rocker studs to snap, and as well, the guides have never been done either I reckon as there was a bit of rocking motion in the valves too...

Oh, and I didn't have a slide hammer laying around any more (Can't remember what happened to the one I had? even though I have a pretty good selection of tools I reckon..) to get what was left of the old pin,  So I cobled one up out of some bits laying around ,ha ha :D worked out quite well though eventually.. (I drilled and tapped the center of the stud to screw a 1/4" hardened bolt into)

Edited by LS1 Hatch, 28 October 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#20 Torryhead

Torryhead

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

All Fixed!!! LS1 Hatch has pretty much summed up our day... and my heads!!! They are crap!

We did manage to do the job with the heads on, and I made it home (30 mins) under the roar of eight cylinders instead of the diesel Tappy Tap Tap of the seven cylinders when I pulled into LS1's driveway. 

Check out the pics. The close ups try and show how the stud hole is in the water jacket and the old stud shows the corrosion. 

Do you like our slide hammer. I forgot to take a pic of LS1's nifty mod to the valve spring compressor. We got carried away in the end and I didn't take any pics of the finished product.

Now to find some new heads!!! Or convince LS1 to do an LS3 weekend change out hahahaha

Thanks a tonne LS1, you have helped out yet again. 

Torry Head

Attached Files

#21 _XU1Bitchin_

_XU1Bitchin_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

Hahaha   Reminds me of a movie i had seen where some guys got a flat tyre in the bush and didn't have a spear so they rolled the tyre of the rim took the wheel of the stuffed it with straw or dead grass chucked the wheel back on rolled the Tyre into place and they were of again then later in the film another blew out.

Oh no not again i laughed my head of i couldn't stop

#22 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

I am a bush mechanic from way back :D

#23 Torryhead

Torryhead

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:40 AM

Haha. XU1Bitchin we were talking about that episode of bush mechanic while doing the valve job. How they filled it with spinifex and cruised on!! Love it. 

#24 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

theres another episode of bush mechanics where they tie a big hunk of bark/tree under the car and use it as a skid when the suspension collapsed. haha

#25 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

Yep, I have that one on dvd too, ha ha ha....and where they made a disc brake pad out of a bit of timber too :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stud, head, snapped, pinned

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users