Photo

MHDT 1979 A9X Broadcast Sheet (build sheet)

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:14 PM

G'day All

For those that did not get to Toranafest, this is the special item I had at my display.

M-HDT-Broadcast-sheet-displ.jpg

It is the broadcast sheet or some call it a build sheet and it came from the windscreen of one of the 1979 MHDT A9X Hatchbacks when they were at the end of the line at the Dandenong Holden Assembly Plant.

I am yet to get it confirmed that it came from either the Brock or Harvey car.

Still researching it ATM.

Sorry but I've had to cover up some of it to discourage those that might like to take a pic or copy of it and then have it end up on evilbay.

Covered up areas would be very hard to replicate or even guess what is under those areas on both pieces,

I know that none of our regular forum members would do that but there are others that would troll sites like ours to get info to benefit themselves.

I did not have that card on the right at Toranafest and it was actually stapled to the broadcast sheet when it was removed from the windscreen of one of the MHDT A9Xs.

ToranaFest-display-1.jpg

That is John Sheppard, MHDT manager 1978-79 checking it out at Toranafest.

I believe this would be a fairly significant historic document of HDT and the best era of motor racing history in Australia.

Barry

#2 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:Nuffin. Goin touring.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

Great bit of history there Barry. How did you happen to come across it?

Edited by lx308, 01 October 2013 - 07:17 PM.

#3 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

Awesome Bazz... I was looking at that, wasnt entirely sure why you had it... Forgot to ask !

#4 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:44 PM

Nice one Barry, how cool is that.

#5 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

Awesome Bazz... I was looking at that, wasnt entirely sure why you had it... Forgot to ask !

Just between you and me Skap (sorry Gobbler) Barry's hatchback is actually an A9X. 

This build sheet belongs to his hatch and it is an ex bathurst race car.  Can you believe it?  :stirpot:

Please don't tell anyone as Barry is a very private person. :innocent:

If you could get past all the stuff he has on the bonnet and in the hatch. all would be revealed.  :stirpot:

#6 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:26 PM

Great bit of history there Barry. How did you happen to come across it?

G'day Tony

My methods of finding stuff will remain a secret but it did come about when a fella who knew I collect Torana/Brock/GMH memorabilia contacted me about it and after coming to a price and me paying it, I couldn't wait for it to arrive quick enough by registered and insured post.

In 1979 this fella was working in the spare parts business and received a call from a mate saying that the MHDT A9X race cars were going through the line and for him to come down and have a look.

He went down to the plant and is still kicking himself for not taking a camera but after seeing the cars on trolleys and the fact that the workers had gone to lunch he took the broadcast sheet along with the card that was stapled to it off the windscreen of one of the MHDT race cars.

I don't know if there are any others around but I'm glad I have it and that it was saved from possible oblivion by being put in a bin or tossed out at a later date.

I think back in those days, not much of the paperwork was kept on file for any great length of time.

That is why I value historic paper work like this highly.

I know the ex-NSW highway police officer that wrote the report on the suitability of the LC GTR for police pursuit work and that report was binned after 4 years.

Barry

#7 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,126 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:17 PM

If i'm reading that TRIM line right this build sheet might upset a few people who claim to have HDT GMP&A A9X race cars......

It may not even be a Brock car, he wasn't with HDT in 1977 if it was one of the 1977 race cars.

#8 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:14 PM

Awesome History there Barry, amazing find.

#9 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:53 PM

If i'm reading that TRIM line right this build sheet might upset a few people who claim to have HDT GMP&A A9X race cars......

It may not even be a Brock car, he wasn't with HDT in 1977 if it was one of the 1977 race cars.

This broadcast sheet is from 79 not 77 and I am still researching to find out "if possible" who's car it is from.

No date is evident on this broadcast sheet and that date of 1979 is from the man who in his own words were "I stole it off the windscreen" and it was 1979 when that happened.

It will be a tall order to get specific car related information and for me that will be only a 10% chance of getting it.

Just between you and me Skap (sorry Gobbler) Barry's hatchback is actually an A9X. 

This build sheet belongs to his hatch and it is an ex bathurst race car.  Can you believe it?  :stirpot:

Please don't tell anyone as Barry is a very private person. :innocent:

If you could get past all the stuff he has on the bonnet and in the hatch. all would be revealed.  :stirpot:

Would love my SS to turn into an A9X but I haven't a magic wand nor the money to do it so I can only wish for a lotto win

Barry

PS .... There is more to this story from the fella I got it off but I cannot substantiate what else he said and I know there would  be people who would jump on it quickly saying that is not right or could not of happened or would not of happened etc etc, so until I get more FACTS, what I have said is correct to the best of my knowledge.

Edited by Pop's-SS, 02 October 2013 - 12:01 AM.

#10 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:20 AM

Good to see John Sheppard's still around.

#11 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:49 AM

Barry, no A9X race shells were made in 1979, the UC was well under production by then. Race shells were built in batches and then production ceased. By 1979, especially leading up to Bathurst, a couple of teams were actually knocking on smaller teams doors looking for shells. A good example would be the garry Rogers Bathurst car from 79 actually being acquired from one of HDT's spare shells.

If in fact this is a shell for HDT (not all assigned shells actually made it to teams they were assigned to), and if it was in 1979, then this is for the 79 Brock car. The chassis number recorded on the broadcast sheet would confirm this, which I can do should you choose to let me know it.

HDT returned this shell back to the factory in 1979 and it was basically pushed around the factory on a UC torana trolley by hand as pieces of trim and other items were fitted to it. It was also painted in the marlboro colours at the factory, which was not the norm.

My suggestion would be this is the broadcast sheet fitted to this car on it's return to the factory to simply identify it, not it's original broadcast sheet it was supplied with when originally sent to HDT as a rolling shell.

For the record, John Harvey only ever had two new cars at HDT. The hatch in 1977, and the VK big banger in 1984.

#12 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:16 AM

MIck,

if what you say is correct, "this is the broadcast sheet fitted to this car on it's return to the factory to simply identify it, not it's original broadcast sheet it was supplied with when originally sent to HDT as a rolling shell",  wouldn't the Trim code be 63V and not 18V?

What is on the tag on Brock's '79 car?  Maybe Dan could let us know..

The only person that could probably shed light on this is Mike Prowse.

whichever car it belongs to, it's certainly a great piece of memorabilia!  Well done Barry.

cheers

Mick

Edited by sstorana, 02 October 2013 - 08:17 AM.

#13 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

No. The shell was supplied to HDT originally with 18V trim, as the tag reflects. Most of that trim was removed to supply the other cars when raced. When this was returned, Mike prowse fitted the UC SLE trim, the same as Brock had in his road car at the time. The tag wasn't changed, and the broadcast sheet would reflect what was on the tag, just like any other vehicle. Theres nothing to say this broadcast sheet is actually from 1979, other than the word of someone from over 30 years ago, and theres nothing to say this isn't the original one that was supplied with the car from day one. As I said, a chasis number and I can confirm which car it is, but the fact barry mentioned the trolley and 1979 points to one car only.

#14 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:Mini torana's - Gemini coupe 10.787@123mph, log booked Group A DOHC Gemini under resto..

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

Should also be mentioned that Harvey's 79 car was actually Brocks 78 winning car :)

#15 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

Yes, As I said Harves only ever got 2 new cars, other than that it was always hand downs.

Should also be mentioned that Harvey's 79 car was actually Brocks 78 winning car :)

#16 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

Were HDT building cars for other teams back then?

#17 v8xu1pete

v8xu1pete

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Name:Pete
  • Car:LJ XU1 V8 (SALAMANCA RED)
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

Fascinating stuff Barry!!

#18 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

No.

Were HDT building cars for other teams back then?

#19 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

ok...  I thought that they did prepare some cars for other teams..  obviously not..

so which car could it belong to then?  There can't be too many...

#20 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

If it's 79, and the car was at the factory in 79, as I said, it could only be the Brock 79 car returning to the factory before being race prepared

#21 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

cool,

just a shame it cannot be verified.

cheers

#22 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

So the HDT A9X's, as they are built at GMH Melbourne, on the Warranty List what are they under or who ordered them, I would guess it would be 265 Melbourne Internal GM-H Public Relations ????

Edited by xu2308, 03 October 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#23 _Dustings_

_Dustings_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

ok... I thought that they did prepare some cars for other teams.. obviously not..

so which car could it belong to then? There can't be too many...

HDT did later on in the VK days

#24 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:22 PM

Warranty list? Race shells are not recorded on the warranty list, I'm sure I had this discussion with Richo or willow or whoever he was. These are a spare part, not a car, no compliance plate.

#25 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:00 AM

Warranty list? Race shells are not recorded on the warranty list, I'm sure I had this discussion with Richo or willow or whoever he was. These are a spare part, not a car, no compliance plate.

Why is there a Broadcast sheet for a spare part then??

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users