Paisty White

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Name:Russell
  • Car:LX SL hatch

Posted 01 July 2006 - 08:42 AM

g'day all

ive been talking to a forumer about where i should get my motor rebuilt and he asked what sort of power im aiming at and i dont have a clue. this is the first car ive ever built.

so what would good power from a 308 stroked toa 327 for street use and the occasional trip to the drags.

i would love about 1000hp + but thats not really possible on my budget and i wouldnt be able to keep it on the road.

my budget is about $4500 and i want to keep the 327 everybody is going 355 or bigger strokers. ive got nothing against that i would just prefer to keep what ive got

gump

#2 _wombat_

_wombat_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2006 - 12:08 PM

years ago people would be happy with 1hp per cubic inch,but thats long gone.
with 4500 depends on if you already have the stroker kit or not. if not buying that will soak up a fair bit of the budget, machining,then you want to do head work and rollers,gaskets and bearings and all the other shit that goes with a rebuild.
i rebuilt my 308 12 years ago and it cost about 5 for a std stroke that put out about 300hp. i have nearly finished a sbc that should see 400hp that has soaked up 8k so far.(i stopped counting at 8 grand as the wife was getting upset). so for 4 and a half grand you should be looking at 300-350 hp maybe.if your paying to get it all done labour will kill your budget as i only get machining done and assemble myself. hope this helps you out.

#3 Gump

Gump

Paisty White

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Name:Russell
  • Car:LX SL hatch

Posted 01 July 2006 - 10:10 PM

yeah cheers wombat ive been have a conversation with [BOTTLEDUP] (Dave) and he said depending on what need replacing and what not i should be looking towards about $6000ish which isnt to bad might have to keep that figure to myself and not let the girlfriend hear about it.

#4 _munro_

_munro_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2006 - 11:59 PM

yeah cheers wombat ive been have a conversation with [BOTTLEDUP] (Dave) and he said depending on what need replacing and what not i should be looking towards about $6000ish which isnt to bad might have to keep that figure to myself and not let the girlfriend hear about it.

make sure the girlfriend doesn't find the recipts :spoton:
my wife had found around $6grand of recipts that i'd spent on mine :spit:
luckily she didn't find the other $12grands worth :rolleyes:

cheers tom

#5 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 12:23 AM

IMOH talking 308 here, if u budgeting, select heads and get the best gear and mods to suite and if you dont have enough for the stroker just have the standard bottom end done and select a cam to suit.
later down the track you can upgrade the bottom end and a new cam to siute that if need be.
honnest reliable power out put with standard stroke will be 300-350 and stroker is going to be 330-400 plus depending on config.
main power aim will be dictated by cam/head package with the stroker boosting it over the stock stroke.
dont get too caught up in figures but more concentrate on what mods and COMBINATION suites your needs.

#6 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2006 - 12:28 PM

if it was me and i had a budget like yours i would buy a reconditioned 308 for $1500 (short) and take the cam out and replace it with the one i want and then get some L34 spec heads, and you would still have about $1500 for things like hi energy sump and what ever else you would like to bolt onto the motor but thats just my opinion

#7 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:06 PM

I know of a 325 stroker bottom end for sale $3000

Add cam heads manifolds and carb and your about budget
Should be good for the HP your after (no-one gets 1000hp not even Howard....... he won't turn the NOS tap on)
Settle for around 300 and you'll be happy for now.

#8 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:15 PM

(no-one gets 1000hp not even Howard....... he won't turn the NOS tap on)

I'll let you know when I get there Datto... ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users