MARKL

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:Hatch

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

This is my first proper question on the forum, did a search but didn't find the answer - apologies if I just suck at searching.

I have a UC/LX hatch shell - basically it is a complete car minus interior (I describe it as a shell to manage/lower my expectations). I have had the engineer going over it and the various mods prior to getting it registered. My initial expectation was new interior, exhaust and drop tank and it should be good to go but all plans like that die in the arse fairly quickly...

Car has injected 5.0 (out of VS - maybe a bit of cam but nothing major) and 4 speed auto...I wanted a manual but car was a good price and its for cruising so thought I could live with it.

Unfortunately we found the tailshaft was a dogs breakfast, gearbox cross member had had some interesting mods, gearbox is sitting too low and will probably need some tunnel work once in the right position...whilst none of the issues are major, well if I am doing them I might as well put in a manual...

Given the budget is rooted (didn't really allow for this as the driveline was 'good') I am looking for the best value 5 speed to go into it. Whilst I would love a Tremec budget really doesn't allow for it and I don't really need a 6 speed.

So I started looking at the various options Holden offered and here I am looking at either a T5 or a Getrag 290.  What are peoples opinions on which is better, some people say the Getrag is hopeless (though some of those appear to be talking about the 260) and some say it is fab and they wouldn't go back to a T5. What are peoples experiences and/or opinions? Or is there an option I have missed?

Budget - would like it under $2k, even better if less.

Edited by MARKL, 18 October 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#2 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:06 PM

Hi Mark.

My only comment would be that if you are adding up all the mods needed, the TKO may not be as bad a deal as thought

I would question your need for tunnel mods ??

Finally , as you are already auto, considering the costs to go manual, why not consider a qualitry T350 and a diff ratio change ??

#3 MARKL

MARKL

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

Nothing wrong with the Turbo 700 just prefer a manual, if I was keeping it auto I would leave it alone - I am assuming some tunnel mods maybe required nothing major. But if I am playing in that space may as well go manual.

My logic with the T5 or Getrag 290 was I could get a second hand one out of VN to VT (S1) and it would bolt in fairly easy without requirement for new bellhousings custom clutches and other mods. If a T56 or TKO was similar in cost I would go for one in a heartbeat but I expect they are much more expensive to get running

#4 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:30 PM

The only tunnel mod for the T700 is you need to massage (belt) the tunnel in a bit where the selector shaft comes out of the box.  5 second job.  You can then raise the trans up to normal height with an off the shelf rear crossmember ($200) and get a custom tailshaft made ($550).  Job done :)

#5 MARKL

MARKL

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

But I would prefer a manual, any thoughts on the 5 speed options? 

#6 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:19 AM

stick with a t5 or better yet a new tko
the getrag while a good box is a prick and costly to covert

#7 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:40 AM

I'd use a T-5 if you wish to convert to a manual. :spoton:

#8 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

I like the feel of the T5 in the hatch. Others have had to cut up the tunnel to get them to fit. Be careful what type you source.
Plenty of second hand supra conversions pop up and are relatively inexpensive. Won't survive for long if you have more than 350 ft/lb of torque. Similar robustness to a T5.

#9 _SRV_

_SRV_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

T5

#10 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:49 PM

Ford 6cyl T5 with dellow or crs kit would be your best bet for the budget.

Had getrag in my lc..nice g/box very low kilometres but if it broke or needed new clutch price goes out the window making a tko a good option.

If you're going to want grunt & give car some abuse toploader or muncie are good options for a 4spd.

#11 MARKL

MARKL

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:31 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Just got the quote to fix the issues with my diff...took one look at the quote and said 'how much extra  for a 9inch?'...'yeah, stick in the 9inch'. 9inch will be 31 spline with a truetrac...what budget?

So now the back end is getting an upgrade...what to do with the rest? I must admit neither the Getrag or T5 has me convinced as an option...my thought process tends to run something like this. (ignoring tailshaft, gearbox cross member and engine mounts cause I need to do something about them anyway)

Looking on fleabay (and rounding prices to suit what can only be described as Torana logic)  'look T5 is..$1,500issh for gearbox and parts...oh look a T56 is only $1,500 second hand, cool...fvck the conversion to a 304 is $2,500...fvck I can get a LS1 and T56 for $4k...+++the conversion...need to talk to the engineer again' 

#12 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:26 PM

Haha attaboy go hard!!!!!

If it's already driving perhaps stick a bigger stally in it for the time being to make it bit more fun to drive while saving up and getting all the good parts togerther you want foe it.

Sucks having fun cars off the road for lengthy periods of time.keep em' driving as long as possible if you can.

#13 MARKL

MARKL

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:50 PM

Seeing the engineer to talk options on Tuesday... :3gears:  

#14 _LH8VD69_

_LH8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

I have a similar problem m8. I'm running a healthy 308-supra 5 speed-banjo. I have a very healthy 355 on the build and have a borgy LSD shortened and am stuck for the 5 speed selection. Of course the TKO boxes would be the right choice but like you said $$$$. Rex stands by the R154 box for moderate abuse but I can't find one. If your running just an injected 304 I'd just go for a T5. The T56 although great as it's tough and has 6 gears you will have to modify your tunnel quite a lot I'm led to believe. Best a luck to ya !

#15 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:40 PM

I have a 308 with Supra 5 speed and Borg Warner LSD.

No issues but I don't exactly drive it too hard.

s

#16 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

T5's are a lottery box can break one easily or you can have one abuse the living hell out of it for ages before it breaks lol.

Supra box aint so bad either just t5 usually feel better suited have with more suited ratios.

The availability & price of ford 6cyl t5's these days is what gives them better recommendation.Just make sure it is one you want as they come with different input shaft lengths/splines etc.Holden v6 box is worst choice to use bnehind an eight...1st gear useless.

#17 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,112 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

I'd just get it working properly with the 4L60 in it now. Get it all Engineered, box sitting right etc. Worry about a manual conversion later. If it was me i'd just leave it auto, less hassle, cheap to replace etc.

#18 MARKL

MARKL

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

To end this thread. I got hold of a T56 from a VR 5.7 :D

So T56 and a 9 inch seems like a very solid driveline for a 304 injected. What diff ratios are people generally running with a T56?

#19 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

HSV runs a 3.7:1

#20 _LH8VD69_

_LH8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

HSV also run a 3.9. I have had both and the 3.9 is far superior. So since you have a T56 you will now have to make some serious tunnel mods to fit that big girl in.

#21 MARKL

MARKL

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:43 AM

Trial fitted the T56 last week and the tunnel wasn't to bad - I will get some pics up soon. I think it sits a bit lower with a 304 compared to a LS1? Being the Borg Warner T56 out of a VR (5.7 Senator - I assume this is the same set up as the VN Group A?) I don't know if there are some dimension differences to the later Tremec T56s? The clutch mechanism is completely different to later T56s - uses a hydraulic clutch fork and has a cable to hydraulic 'convertor' on the driver side - this will be relocated to the engine bay as it won't fit in the tunnel. 

Edited by MARKL, 15 December 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#22 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

Yep yours def sounds like vr-vs box...3.7 or shorter would go nicely.

vn grp a had a zf box that was cable for the clutch.Had owned even with 3.45 gears felt ultra tall for street driving,6th gear was useless at 110km/h lol

Later t56's from vt onwars are hyraulic.....vt-vy had taller ratio in first 3 gears so using 3.9-4.11 gears are good.

Later vz have shorter ratio so 3.7 gears tend to be shortest recommended unless you want smoke city.

Edited by gtrboyy, 15 December 2013 - 07:36 PM.

#23 MARKL

MARKL

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:20 AM

Yeah, I am thinking 3.9 or 4.1...even with 4.1's it will still cruise better than the daily driver

#24 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:43 AM

The clutch mechanism is completely different to later T56s - uses a hydraulic clutch fork and has a cable to hydraulic 'convertor' on the driver side 

Hydraulic throw out bearing? Something like this?

http://www.malwoodau...slave_cylinders

You could try going full hydraulic, my pedalbox for the Mustang is currently with Mal, he's fitting an under dash master cylinder to it and I'm getting the concentric slave cylinder for my T5.

s

#25 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:47 AM

Mal also has the under dash units for LX Torana, you have to be precise with the dimensions of the throw out bearing, you don’t want it to overthrow and leak fluid all over your clutch, in some cases there is a stop behind the clutch pedal so it doesn't depress too far.

http://www.malwoodau...dash_hydraulics

http://www.malwoodau...ge=applications

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 16 December 2013 - 06:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users