• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

My 4/71 GTR has this Marty.

Attached File  IMG_0941 (Medium).JPG   144.8K   6 downloads

It occurred to me that the weld may have replaced this little strappy thingy which is on both sides.

Without thinking about it too much I thought it might be there to make sure there is a good earth through the whole car?

As far as I know my guards have never been off so I have to assume that is from factory.

#28 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

THats not the strappy thing were talking about Potta, have a closer look at the pick in the OP...

Anyway, Ian and James are on my team, who else wants to make some easy money off Richo?

Cheers.

#29 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

Oh yeah, good point, it must have been the turkey talking and I don't mean Richo.

Anyway, there's a pic of a guard that doesn't have the welded bit.

I'd love to join you and make some money off Richo but I already have a heap of Monopoly money here.

#30 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

He may as well accept monopoly money, cause thats all he's gonna get for Willow :D

#31 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,549 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:18 PM

Put me down for 150k cash on the knocker DJ, looks like I'll be retiring early boys, then I can go chase some Bathurst girls in Tuckseedos. Hahahaha

#32 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:22 PM

Right, Ian, James, and Dave and myself laying down coin, Craig laying down monopoly money....Are we still on Richo? frOck i hope you have deep pockets to pay us out our winnings.....

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 29 October 2013 - 10:23 PM.

#33 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:56 PM

put me down for 10 kids,,, no wait you can take the wife and five girls, i will keep me 5 boys,,,,, gee i have a lot of mouths to feed,,, i may have to build and sell myself a few willows...

now richoroll put the pic up of your engine bay in the willow thread so i can look

cheers gong

#34 _XU1Bitchin_

_XU1Bitchin_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:33 PM

put me down for 10 kids,,, no wait you can take the wife and five girls, i will keep me 5 boys,,,,, gee i have a lot of mouths to feed,,, i may have to build and sell myself a few willows...

now richoroll put the pic up of your engine bay in the willow thread so i can look

cheers gong

John thanks to you you or the guys from the forum will never see willow up front or at a torana fest

I just couldn't be bothered with your ridicules antics you guys just go to far

How bout i post in the bona-vile paper every day of the week for the next few years that you are a fraud and do bogdy work on LJ toranas its just the same as you have done to me with the post of my vin

Mate you really need a real job instead of trying to make problem for honest people as my self

Get a job get a life john

#35 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:48 PM

I think its time to stop posting in other peoples threads guys you want to slag shit at each other do it some where else

#36 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:34 AM

Ice

I think its time to stop posting in other peoples threads guys you want to slag shit at each other do it some where else

LONA-CK

as dj said its a 73 thing,,, if you look at the 73 guards they have a little lug that comes of there and welds to the front of the scuttle just like in the pic you have.... you will need to add them to your 72 if your mocking up a 73 tangarine car mate.

cheers gong

ice, i beleave that is what i was doing,,, i have even spoke with marty on the phone,,, and then i was hit with this.

XU1Bitchin

Guys John is a mess he discredits people he suspects of mocking up re-shells

Hear he is saying if you are mocking up a re-shell 73 then this is what you do just cant work this nut out

I think he must have a Gelus streak in him

Yes this is on the 73 as mine is the same

be fxxked if im copping this Cunning Stunts shit.

anyways marty was helped with the answer so the thread is over.

cheers

#37 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:36 AM

yeah, better stop guys... sound like Wicho is gonna cry......

#38 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,549 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:38 PM

John thanks to you you or the guys from the forum will never see willow up front or at a torana fest

I just couldn't be bothered with your ridicules antics you guys just go to far

How bout i post in the bona-vile paper every day of the week for the next few years that you are a fraud and do bogdy work on LJ toranas its just the same as you have done to me with the post of my vin

Mate you really need a real job instead of trying to make problem for honest people as my self

Get a job get a life john

Hahaha.The ebay pic of the Body ID tag was enough to identify Willow. The Vin number is inconsequential really, remember, there is only one Willow.

Edited by S pack, 30 October 2013 - 11:38 PM.

#39 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:13 AM

My 4/71 GTR has this Marty.

attachicon.gifIMG_0941 (Medium).JPG

It occurred to me that the weld may have replaced this little strappy thingy which is on both sides.

Without thinking about it too much I thought it might be there to make sure there is a good earth through the whole car?

As far as I know my guards have never been off so I have to assume that is from factory.

No not the same thing, that attatches to a pannel that diverts water forward below the bonnet hinge, it is interesting though that a September 73 I have seen did not have these, very strange.

Mike

#40 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:18 AM

While carefully looking over the cars at ToranaFest I spotted this little welded gusset on certain models.  Can anyone tell me what models they are on and what purpose it might serve.

I'm talking about the little weld where the top of the guard meets the plynum chamber.

Cheers

Marty

attachicon.gifIMG_5992.jpg

I have always thought it was to stop water running down the top of the door pillar while driving, and rusting it out pre maturely, of course it would also stop some flexing of the top of the guard too. 

Mike

#41 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:08 AM

Mike73

sibhs, on 23 Oct 2013 - 22:14, said:snapback.png

While carefully looking over the cars at ToranaFest I spotted this little welded gusset on certain models.  Can anyone tell me what models they are on and what purpose it might serve.

I'm talking about the little weld where the top of the guard meets the plynum chamber.

Cheers

Martyarrow-10x10.png

attachicon.gifIMG_5992.jpg

I have always thought it was to stop water running down the top of the door pillar while driving, and rusting it out pre maturely, of course it would also stop some flexing of the top of the guard too. 

Mike

more home work need on this i think,,, but i will say at the same time this weld was added another re-inforcment plate was added,,, and once again there has never been a talk on this add on...

the weld was put there when the cutout was put in the guard so it helped the car crumble up at this point and not be on

cheers gong

#42 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:37 PM

Mike73

sibhs, on 23 Oct 2013 - 22:14, said:snapback.png

Mike

more home work need on this i think,,, but i will say at the same time this weld was added another re-inforcment plate was added,,, and once again there has never been a talk on this add on...

the weld was put there when the cutout was put in the guard so it helped the car crumble up at this point and not be on

cheers gong

I don't suppose you are talking about the extras that every 1973 and 1974 6cyl LJ Torana recieved ?

Some asumptions that these 1973 changes were special to selected models is a fairy story by a motoring writer who didn't know his subject very well.

Lots of people make the same mistake comparing a 1973 XU-1 against a 1972 XU-1's, when they should have been comparing the whole range between one year and another. 

This same person did not seem to realise that there was a difference between limited Holden production race specials, and the street versions either!

Mike

#43 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:20 AM

LONA-CK

more home work need on this i think,,, but i will say at the same time this weld was added another re-inforcment plate was added,,,

the weld was put there when the cutout was put in the guard.

Mike73

I don't suppose you are talking about the extras that every 1973 and 1974 6cyl LJ Torana recieved ?

]

thats what i said,,, as the weld and cutouts in and on the guards started with the 73 models,,, and this dont meen there is no one thing that parts a 73 bathurst car from the rest of the 73 tribe,,, and it rolled on to the end of the lj make.

cheers gong

#44 brocks72xu1

brocks72xu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

Guys John is a mess he discredits people he suspects of mocking up re-shells
Hear he is saying if you are mocking up a re-shell 73 then this is what you do just cant work this nut out
I think he must have a Gelus streak in him

Yes this is on the 73 as mine is the same

richo have you meet John ,I'm guessing you haven't.
you are just as much of f$%k knuckle as other members on here that claim
they have the real deal.
there are plenty if dodgy people on here and I can tell you gong is the honest person
you will ever meet.aleast he doesn't sell a reshell cars to his best friends as genuine cars

#45 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:23 AM

I Agree Grant,

John Gong,Is one of the nicest torana guru's i have ever met in a life time,

I know there are a lot of dishonest people out there who are reshelling torana's,

and making huge proffits,turning torana's into gtr's and xu-1's.

If i was ever going to buy another GTR or XU-1,i'll be giving the gong a call,

because i know id  be getting a genuine and honest car off a honest person.

Regards John.

#46 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,549 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:21 AM

I Agree Grant,

John Gong,Is one of the nicest torana guru's i have ever met in a life time,

I know there are a lot of dishonest people out there who are reshelling torana's,

and making huge proffits,turning torana's into gtr's and xu-1's.

If i was ever going to buy another GTR or XU-1,i'll be giving the gong a call,

because i know id  be getting a genuine and honest car off a honest person.

Regards John.

Wholeheartedly agree.

I haven't personally met John Gong but I don't need to meet him to know he is everything you say he is John.

Cheers

Dave.

#47 _XU1Bitchin_

_XU1Bitchin_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:33 PM

Thanks guys, great info.

Just when you think it's safe to put the welder away.....:-)

Marty

Actually to be a bit more precise the 73 gaurds have the end tags that are braised on to the face of the plenum

Hay john

Braising was the method used in 73 as the shells have been designed as so GMH would use this in the lower rear corner window

as well to stop the welds braking loose

#48 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:46 PM

Actually to be a bit more precise the 73 gaurds have the end tags that are braised on to the face of the plenum
Hay john
Braising was the method used in 73 as the shells have been designed as so GMH would use this in the lower rear corner window
as well to stop the welds braking loose

Richo time for you to frOck off from this forum you have never met john he is as genuine as they come.. you only have your nose out of joint with him as he revealed the vin number from the tags you bought and is stopping you doing the very thing you accuse him of... you have 2 brains one is lost the other is looking for it!

#49 _tryhard_

_tryhard_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

love the way you all gang up and bag the piss out of forum members not all of you are right and not all are wrong but you all jump on the bandwagon to give some one a hard time my Xu1 has these welds on it too.  Plus a lot of other stuff that has never been mentioned on here i have 13 toranas Lc Lj and have owned gtrs & xu1 since I was 17 I.m 54 now and alot of the stuff you argue about is crap, but I will put money up for bomber this time have a good day all.

#50 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

Seriously Marcus?

Have a read of some of the lads posts....Especially the ones on where he is doing a full on retag of a S shell to try to flog it off as a XU-1.

I admit i go out of my way to bag him, but hey, all part of forum life.

Cheers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users