Dagabond

Bored Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 03:57 PM

Posted Image

Chrysler Group President and CEO Tom LaSorda Says Dodge Challenger Is a "Go"

Nearly 35 Years Later, Dodge Challenger Returns as the Ultimate Modern American Muscle Coupe

* Unprecedented public response to Challenger concept leads to "green light" decision for production
* Chrysler Group COO Eric Ridenour says concept-to-production success story highlights focus on speed-to-market

Auburn Hills, Mich., Jul 1, 2006 - Chrysler Group President and CEO Tom LaSorda today announced that Dodge Challenger will return to production after a nearly 35-year hiatus. The all-new Dodge Challenger will debut as a 2008 model in calendar-year 2008.

The announcement was made shortly before the Pepsi 400 NASCAR race at Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Fla. Driving out with the Dodge Challenger was Chrysler Group Chief Operating Officer Eric Ridenour.

"We haven't seen this kind of spontaneous, passionate response to a car since we unveiled the Dodge Viper concept in 1989," said LaSorda. "But it's easy to see what people like about the Dodge Challenger. It's bold, powerful and capable. It's a modern take on one of the most iconic muscle cars, and sets a new standard for pure 'pony car' performance."

The Dodge Challenger will feature the long hood, short deck, wide stance and two-door coupe body style that distinguished the iconic Challengers of the 1970s.

"We drew on the rich heritage of the Dodge Challenger, but with contemporary forms and technologies," said Ridenour. "It's not just a re-creation; it's a reinterpretation."

Dodge's "Pony Car" in the 1970s
The Dodge Challenger made its debut in the fall of 1969 as a 1970 model. While it shared the "E-body" platform with the Plymouth Barracuda, Dodge Challenger's wheelbase was two inches longer, creating more interior space.

The Dodge Challenger was originally offered as either a two-door hardtop or convertible. And, befitting the brand's performance heritage, the Dodge Challenger also went racing in its first year, competing most notably in the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Trans-Am series and National Hot Rod Association's Pro Stock class.

Although it was produced only from 1970 to 1974, the Dodge Challenger earned a reputation as one of the most desirable of the original "pony cars," with meticulously restored and rare examples today selling for six-figure prices.

In its first year, Dodge Challenger was offered in a limited-edition T/A model to meet homologation requirements for SCCA Trans-Am racing. In 1971, a Dodge Challenger paced the Indianapolis 500 race. New front-end styling in 1972 featured a larger, "egg-crate" grille. In April 1974, Challenger production ceased. Over a five-year span, approximately 188,600 Dodge Challengers were sold.

The Dodge Challenger is another chapter in Chrysler Group's long history of bringing concepts quickly to production, including the Dodge Viper, Plymouth Prowler, Chrysler PT Cruiser and Jeep� Compass.

"Our product development system allows us to quickly turn concepts into high-quality production vehicles," said Ridenour. "We're justifiably proud of our speed to market, and Dodge Challenger is the latest example of our focus on getting gotta-have-it vehicles to our customers."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2006 - 05:19 PM

THATS BGUCKIN NUTS!
It just looks bloody sick

#3 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 05:29 PM

Now how hard would it be to bring back the Torana along those lines?
Look at how the sheet metal is almost as per orig... stuff your aero importance! Give us soul, emotion.... muscle car good looks!

Stick ya Astras where the sun don't shine!!!! How good would a modern day SL/R 5000 and A9X look?

C'mon GMH.... when's it gunna be our turn?

#4 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2006 - 05:54 PM

Oh Shit yeah!
I would do anything for that car.

Huh... Torana... Whats a Torana...

#5 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 02 July 2006 - 06:01 PM

mmmmmm, I want one!
thats what holden should have done, hept the long bonnet/short boot for the torana

#6 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2006 - 06:53 PM

looks very nice

#7 _timbotorrie_

_timbotorrie_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2006 - 07:02 PM

jeez that look tuff as from every angle!!

I WANT ONE!!!!!! :rockon:

#8 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 02 July 2006 - 07:10 PM

Yes, when I saw first saw the pics of the new challenger I said "I want to get me one." I wonder if they will make them right hand drive?

I would still love an old challenger as well though.........

Edited by kudu, 02 July 2006 - 07:11 PM.

#9 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:57 PM

1 in hemi orange with black interior to go thanks

#10 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:04 PM

You're all fooled; it's just an original charger with the bumpers removed and the interior woodgrain replaced with silver! :P

Very sexy car, this is the only remake of an oldschool car that I can respect, but it's still a concept. I want some performance figures! :clap:

Edited by Heath, 02 July 2006 - 09:05 PM.

#11 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:07 PM

You're all fooled; it's just an original charger

Challenger Heath, Challenger...

#12 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:12 PM

You're all fooled; it's just an original charger with the bumpers removed and the interior woodgrain replaced with silver! :P

Very sexy car, this is the only remake of an oldschool car that I can respect, but it's still a concept. I want some performance figures! :clap:

You didn't like the Thunderbird ?

#13 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:18 AM

You didn't like the Thunderbird ?

What about the Mustang ?

#14 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:33 AM

Now how hard would it be to bring back the Torana along those lines?

I agree with you the look of this car is spot on with the old one and it does look tough. I seriously doubt Holden would ever reintroduce the Torana in the same way as has been done here.

With America having a much higher population it means niche cars like this one sell much better. With Australia's smaller population its much harder, probably part of the reason cars like the new Monaro don't survive.

I seriously doubt we will ever see a Torana done like the Challenger.

Steve

#15 _wasted_youth_

_wasted_youth_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2006 - 12:38 PM

can i have one too

#16 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:12 PM

Tuff as ! but take that plastic engine thay call a hemi OUT and fit a real one K.B :rockon: :rockon:

cheers

#17 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2006 - 09:46 PM

Yeah, so this is a good 'true' modernised remake and you get up in arms.
I call the new monaro a piece of shit cause it's not along these standards and I get flamed.

GG double bguckin standards.

#18 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 July 2006 - 09:50 PM

As I said before, this is the only true modernized remake that I have ever seen. The new Monaro is not a true modernized remake, but it's a bgucken nice car!

What do you mean by "not along these standards"?

...not as good as the Challenger concept? Not a true Monaro? Not a good quality vehicle? I don't understand.

#19 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:06 PM

he means as when the monaro was introduce it was a pillerless coupe for families (5 seater) which the new one lacks also personally i reckon they needed to share more of the oldschool charecteristics instead of the easy way out of using the vt setup dont get me wrong the new monaro is a very nice car but i just thought holden didnt explore enough into it

cheers chevy

#20 _G-Train_

_G-Train_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:10 AM

OMG, that is the shiznit :spoton:

Mmmmmmm, Hemi :clap:

#21 _Spyder_

_Spyder_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:32 PM

i need one :clappin: :clappin: :clappin:

#22 _wasted_youth_

_wasted_youth_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:33 PM

Its is a sexy machine,, hell id bguck it if it was possible,,, ummmmm i really gotta get off the drugs i think,,, I just said id bguck a car if it was possible,, clearly i am an idiot....just ignore me,, like my name says im a wasted youth and i wouldnt have it any other way,,,,, Say No to Drugs,..Unless your doctor tells u to take them.... Jesus,,, dont do that my doctor go me hooked on opiates..18 Oxys a day perscribed for a bad back for 3 months straight and he honestly thought id be able to just stop... Anyway enough of my dirty laundry aired on a torana forum of all places,,, ill pay druggies online a visit

peace all,,, and rainbows,, and LSD man,, like totally awesome like pure gold man,, jimi hendrix voodoo chile style,,,, uno what im saying

#23 _wasted_youth_

_wasted_youth_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:35 PM

i like how they change bguck to bguck its bgucking funny yet not offensive. wonder what they change fembit to

#24 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:49 PM

anyone in the bendigo residence (makka) ive heard a rumor from my mate his dad might be getting one of these beasts

#25 Dagabond

Dagabond

Bored Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:24 PM

anyone in the bendigo residence (makka) ive heard a rumor from my mate his dad might be getting one of these beasts

I was going to laugh...
(Mates sisters brother inlaws uncle heard down the pub.....)

But the rumour just maybe true...

The hopes of a Charger revival in Australia have been crushed, but a hero could be on the way. Chrysler Group Australia wanted to import the new-generation Dodge Charger, a four-door muscle car, and revive a much-loved nameplate.

Managing Director Gerry Jenkins and Fitzsimmons are in Detroit and will push for a right-hand-drive Challenger.

"We are keen to have something that makes a statement at the performance-end of the market," Fitzsimmons says. It will be tough to get the US to agree to prepare the Challenger for export.

http://carsguide.new...2-21822,00.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users