StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

Two kids one was 18, one was 16 both got jail (under-age got boys home) when they stole my Monaro back in the late 80's.

Must be different in W.A.  

Back in the 80's some school colleagues of mine were car thieves, they would've got off probably 20 times or so before seeing the inside of a cell.  

s

#177 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

Guess it depends on how much money the family has and good a lawyer you get.

One of my mates used to steal cars, pinch stereos and cb's, got caught driving without a license numerous times, done drink driving a few times, must have had close to 30 offences before he went to the slammer.

Edited by LHSL308, 27 February 2014 - 05:00 PM.

#178 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

Guess it depends on how much money the family has and good a lawyer you get.

Probably depends on how sad a puppy dog face you can pull in front of the judge.  I have a feeling the system was trying to make prison the last resort to leave some spare cells for the harder crims.

s

#179 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

The 170+kph 3hr chase playing bumper cars up the freeway and highways on the wrong side of the road didn't help them. This was back when the cops chased cars till they forced them to crash (in this case a massive tree). The police wrote off three cars in that chase as the old girl went ok before the tree. I was fuming at the cops and the kids as it was a total write-off.

They had no money, no remorse and had been caught before. Last I heard about 8yrs ago they both have been in jail for 2/3rds more time than than they have been out of crowbar.

Edited by LXSS350, 27 February 2014 - 06:06 PM.

#180 Tony.p2

Tony.p2

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:Chrome yellow 1974 LH SLR 5000
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

Back to the salvage rights discussion,I signed up with Shannons in November last year and I have salvage rights on my policy. I also recall them saying this was applied to all cars over 25 years.

#181 _LX77SL_

_LX77SL_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

You will not have salvage rights to your car if it is stolen and recovered after they pay the account out. Which is after 2 weeks and is non negotiable no extensions are given. Does not matter the age of the car.

#182 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:41 PM

Back to the salvage rights discussion,I signed up with Shannons in November last year and I have salvage rights on my policy. I also recall them saying this was applied to all cars over 25 years.

You will not have salvage rights to your car if it is stolen and recovered after they pay the account out. Which is after 2 weeks and is non negotiable no extensions are given. Does not matter the age of the car.

This will be correct Tony you need to delve a little bit deeper than what your policy says.

I am insured with LSV and my policy says I have salvage rights too. When I rang them today and asked for more info, I was told that only if the car was written off would I have salvage rights. If the car was stolen and I was paid out in full then the rights are void.

You need to clarify the exact detail of the policy.

#183 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:27 AM

Good to see clarity on the insurance issue, even though its surprised some. Can we hear how, why and what happened to the car from when it was stolen?

#184 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:38 AM

I was told that only if the car was written off would I have salvage rights. If the car was stolen and I was paid out in full then the rights are void.

This sounds correct, I can't imagine they'd give you salvage rights on a car they can quickly make money from ... after they've paid you in full for that car.

s

#185 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:25 AM

All those salvage rights need to be is first option to purchase the vehicle back at a price that is set by some reasonable means (e.g. valuation by qualified/experienced person).

They do indeed own the car and it may be that the sale price is higher or lower than the payout, you just want first right of refusal to purchase at the set price. They can still make their quick money from you buying it back.

#186 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

you just want first right of refusal

I believe that is what they mean by salvage rights.

s

#187 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

I don't think so; in the situation where your vehicle is damaged salvage rights can ensure that you always own it and the insurance company cannot take it without your approval, then the claim is worked out after that fact.

In this instance the claim is already settled and the insurance company most certainly owns it, but you want the first option to purchase it.

#188 _LX77SL_

_LX77SL_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:39 PM

76lxhatch
You have hit the nail on the head.

I have never expected salvage rights on a car I no longer owned but the option to pay the amount of money the insurance company wanted for the car this is what I was lead to believe I was paying for but have since found out differently.

I have been in talks with Shannon's today and they have agreed this is a very unique case one they have not dealt with before. They have also asked me if anyone is still under the belief they have buy back rights to please call them and discuss it but make sure you mention the situation of the car being stolen and a total loss claim being payed out. No one has this option and never has. Despite what the sales people have lead you to believe/told you
They are in discussions with what they can do as a company to get the enthusiast happy so we can only wait. This is a positive step

That is the lastest information I have but will keep you informed

#189 Bernie

Bernie

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Car:2 lx Hatches and 3 lx 4 doors

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:52 PM

Great news Ayden .Here's hoping that Shannons will add this scenario to their policy so that all enthusiasts are catered for with their insurance requirements .Also Thanks to your self this may avert other people having to go down the same path .Well done

Edited by Bernie, 28 February 2014 - 10:53 PM.

#190 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:13 AM

I have been in talks with Shannon's today and they have agreed this is a very unique case, one they have not dealt with before.

Quite often a car is recovered after the pay out, it's hard to believe they've never experienced this ... or is it the first time they've experienced an owner wanting to buy his car back?

lol.

s

#191 Bernie

Bernie

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:18 AM

Messed that up .

Edited by Bernie, 01 March 2014 - 06:22 AM.

#192 Bernie

Bernie

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:21 AM

Quite often a car is recovered after the pay out, it's hard to believe they've never experienced this ... or is it the first time they've experienced an owner wanting to buy his car back?

lol.

s

Or is this the first time they have been inundated with 1000's of calls from unhappy policy holders threatening to cancel their insurance? Hmm .

#193 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:57 AM

The people at Shannons are enthusiasts themselves and i have no doubt they will come through all the best with it Ayden

#194 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:Mini torana's - Gemini coupe 10.787@123mph, log booked Group A DOHC Gemini under resto..

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

If that is indeed pressure pack paint, I have a hot tip for removing it, so if you get your car back Ayden send me a pm..

#195 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:40 AM

When you said the car is damaged, what exactly is damaged? Are any parts missing and how is the engine bay area?

Sounds like your making some progress mate and hopefully you get the car back sooner rather than later.

#196 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

Or is this the first time they have been inundated with 1000's of calls from unhappy policy holders threatening to cancel their insurance? Hmm .

Whats your thoughts on the alternative if all companies have the same policy ?

#197 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:29 AM

Whats your thoughts on the alternative if all companies have the same policy ?

A 2 foot thick concrete Garage, with a concrete sliding door ( like the ones for Fire Alarms in factory's ). Dave I

#198 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

Clearly its up to us to protect our investments

Some have bollards , cameras , tracking etc

I guess its really only slowing them down if they want it bad enough

#199 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

I call that, Weight Locks, the time it takes us to lock it up, is the time it takes them to unlock it.

Think Egyptian. Dave I

#200 _LX77SL_

_LX77SL_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

An alternative could be.
The insurance get the car assessed by their assessor and works out a sum of money they would be happy to get at auction. I'm sure it would be ok a case by case basic and we may pay a little higher premiums for this option.
Then they can offer the car to the original owner at the amount they have assessed the car to be worth and happy to receive wether it be damaged or not.
I don't think that is asking the world and hope maybe this can be the case in future.

The car has been sprayed with a gun not spraycans.
Also please don't be place all your faith in tracking devices. Working with tracking and guidance everyday there are quite simple ways of masking, blocking and editing signals. And I'm pretty sure they searched my car for something hence why my interior has been pulled apart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users