Hatch Rear Pillars

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _SSHatch_

_SSHatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:39 PM

I have just had the Hatch at the bodyworks to repairs a small oops I had with a guard rail not long back. While getting the oops fixed I also got them to cut the rust out of the rear pillars and put them back to original. ie: the seam in them not just bog over them and smooth the whole lot.

Now my major concern is where does the water get into these pillars in the first place. I have been out to check the other Hatch I have in the shed as its a bare body at the moment but cannot find where the water would enter from.

Has anybody got any idea on where and could they post pics of the offending area so I can do whatever possible to seal it all up. Just that after paying out over a grand to get em fixed properly I dont want them to rust out again!!

Also any pics on the proper fitment of the Hatch Hinge covers would be good as mine have never been fitted since I bought the car!!

#2 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:08 PM

thats it..it gets blown in past the hatch hinges..rots the roof out on the way.

#3 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:48 PM

I have just had the rust in mine fixed a few weeks ago for the second time. The water does infact come in the hinges.

The panel shop told me how to fix the re-occuring rust using selleys space invader (now no more big gaps) and some nice alloy pieces cut out... I have the stuff to do it, just another thing on the to do list :)

Just means you have to dig out the selleys space invader to get the the hinge bolts.

M@

#4 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:16 AM

Some of this moisture is unavoidable as i believe it is a result of condensation within the roof collecting in this spot. I also believe all hatches rust in this spot from the inside out. If you havent got any then it just hasnt made its way to the surface. Some cars have probably rusted out quicker as a result of the leaking hinge. There needs to be a drainage hole on the inside of the two panels that form the pillar.

#5 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:42 AM

I wonder if putting some dessicant bags on each side might help a bit...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users