• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Name:Dan
  • Car:74 LH
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

G'day team Torana, 

I need some of your expert advice around choosing heads for my 383 small block. 

The very short story is... I have a 383 small block. It was built around 2008 and has about maybe 250k's on it. It was in storage for a few years. 

Anyway, I live in the he states now and have my Torana here with me. I had the engine dynoed back in Jan and about 3 months ago, after registration and title issues just started driving it. I took it for a 150 mile run and when I got home she was blowing white smoke..... well coolant to be exact. It wasn't too bad and then boom, snapped a rocker stud, here is that story http://www.gmh-toran...ressed-in-type/

So after LS1 Hatch and I fixed that, things just got worse. Now it looks like a bloody mosquito fogger driving down the road. It's blowing white smoke every where. I haven't pulled the heads yet but i'm thinking cracked head or blown gasket. 

Either way, and you will see in the other thread, the heads are crap. So i figured I would attach my engine spec sheet (which hopefully gives you some info) and you can make some suggestions on what heads I should get to replace the cast fuelies. 

Also, I'm running a 750 vac secondary holley (elec choke) with edelbrock performer intake manifold. Keep that in mind if you want to make suggestions about changing either to suit head set up. 

Alloy or iron, doesn't bother me so any and all suggestions would be great. And ask any questions you need :-)  I'm currently looking at a set of Patriot Alloy heads 210cc intake runners, 2.02 valves and 64cc chamber. But i'm not an engine guru so let me know. 

Cheers, 

Attached Files

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

For me there would be 2 choices in my mind for new heads if I was building it

Patriot Freedom heads

ARAO 32 valve heads

I have a set of the Patroits waiting to go on my 383 + 40thou

I really want the ARAO's

I desktop dyno'd 12 sets of alloy heads years ago before I bought mine based on the specs I wanted for a tough not too revvy  street motor with plenty of torque

I tried Edelbrock Performers , Victor Jnrs , Dart , and plenty of others... all alloy.

The Patriots came in 1hp less but more torque and came with stainless valves,Titanium retainers , Screw in studs etc. and factory CNC chambers and ports for slightly less money.

http://www.competiti...nfo/CPXPAT2069/

http://www.araoengineering.com

#3 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:53 PM

FWIW in the last 18 months I have built and engine dynoed 4x 383 SBC's. Each one had similar cam timing but different heads and intake manifold yet they all made very similar power. I touched up every set of heads, they weren't out-of-the-box.

This would tend to indicate to me that any reasonable flowing head will make the power (to a point) particularly with the cam timing your using.

The Edelbrock E-Street head is great value for money and would suit your current combo. I have never laid eyes on or used a Patriot head so couldn't comment.

One thing I will say is this..... don't get carried away with intake runner volume. The 383 that made the most torque had a 195cc runner (no it wasn't an AFR), it still made 535HP. My own 600HP 400 cube SBC only uses a 200cc intake runner head. For a street 383 engine you don't need any more than 195cc IMHO.

Hope this helps.

#4 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:43 PM

For me there would be 2 choices in my mind for new heads if I was building it

Patriot Freedom heads

ARAO 32 valve heads

I have a set of the Patroits waiting to go on my 383 + 40thou

I really want the ARAO's

How game do you feel?

http://www.gt40s.com...yer-beware.html

#5 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:46 PM

Had me interested in ARAO till I read that thread.

#6 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:58 AM

I've also read about those Ford heads

But the Chev ones seem to be gettable and no issues

I'd be walking in and picking them up personally too :)

#7 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:29 AM

<off topic>

Sorry didn't text back....been flat out here, we bought a corvette convertible and a petrol powered golf cart yesterday for example, lol.

(off to San Diego today to pick up some parts then more running all over the place to get stuff sorted for the last container in a week)

You should have heads picked out just in time it sounds like :D

(PS at least Edelbrocks are made here ;)  ...what about trick flow stuff, haven't heard tooooo much about it?)

#8 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:45 AM

Talk about dodgy americans stealing stuff and guess who shows up?  :stirpot:

When are you sending one of our national treasures back ?

(ie. that red torrie hatch you removed from our shores)

Edited by LXSS350, 17 November 2013 - 01:50 AM.

#9 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:59 AM

Dodgy ? who....me ? Nah......never...... :D

I have been filling containers with fine American stuff to litter your shores with lately at least. ;)

#10 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:18 AM

:spoton:

Containers of goodies coming down-under - Your forgiven then !

#11 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

#12 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

Happy with the AFR heads on my 383, 195 inlet runners, 232 duration @50. 1/2 lift at the valves and 10.6-1 compression. Done over 8,000 km. Spins to 6,200 rpm. Heads were straight out of the box.  

#13 Torryhead

Torryhead

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

Thanks heaps guys.

I appreciate all the great info about the heads. And cheers for the info about ARAO's Toranamat 69. Yeah that made me rethink that idea. 

LS1 Hatch, no worries about the text mate, I know you are really busy. Cheers for the suggestion on trickflow heads too, they look great. 

And so do the AFR. Decisions, decisions. I do like the Patriots and they are cheaper, but the Trickflow and AFR look like a better head. 

Cheers guys. Keep any suggestions coming. I would like my 383 to get in the 300+ HP at the rears rather than the 255 it currently has. 

#14 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

PS.... if you thought you were close to the beach... we bought a Corvette off a guy and he lives full time on a boat in the Newport Beach harbor! :D

We went down there this morning to pick up the paperwork for the car.. we went down to the Newport peninsula, and he rowed out on a little boat to meet us from his big boat where he lives, lol..

#15 Torryhead

Torryhead

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

Haha, now that's California beach living for ya. And I thought I was flash living two blocks away!!

#16 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:59 PM

He wasn't far from where the ferry takes off...about in the middle of this picture. (he is moored sort of out in the middle area where you see some ships)

Now back to your regularly scheduled cylinder head thread, ha ha..

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chev, heads, 383, sbc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users