Installing XU1 dash.

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

Spent some time trying to find all the old topics on this but they don't seem to surface on google?

Now I've freshened up my dash and it's ready to go in. All appropriate senders have been installed, so my question is, which wires are which? I need to know the colour for oil and temp, and if I can use the gloves and globe holders from my old dash? I noticed the standard dash has a circuit for which to power the gloves, the XU1 dash doesn't. Does it need new globe holders with terminals for power? Also what are the holes in the back of the small gauges, are they for illumination too?

I'll be looping power for all the gauges, and running a wire to the coil for revs, how do I power the amp meter?

That's about it I think. As it is an LJ dash, need I use the screw in tab brackets from the standard LC dash?

Cheers

#2 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:49 PM

Isnt there a wiring diagram in the lc shop manual, or am i thinking of something else?

#3 debkar

debkar

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Car:1971 LC 2 Door

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

Hi Jacob

I did same with my LC that had printed circuit dash.

Used an old HK loom to get the required dash illumination bulbs

I added tachometer cable and used the existing wires for oil and temp.

I didn't wire up the amps gauge

You'll need that odd looking light blue holder as well, hope you have one with your dash

Make sure all is earthed well and I used the LC tabs on lower dash

Regards Simon

12portred008.jpg

#4 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,843 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

Ammeter wiring

2_zpsb2c7fb77.jpg

#5 debkar

debkar

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:32 PM

Odd blue holder is gen light holder in GTR type dash, should have added that.

#6 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

Re the wiring diagram. I don't think so, and if there is it's not complete. Only one I found is LJ, not 100% it's the same. Simon I do have that blue holder, wasn't sure what it was for. How does the bulb attach to it? As for the other illumination bulbs, I'm guessing I will need to find ones with power going to them? HK onwards did you say? Also, I'll use the LC tabs like you have suggested.

As for the ammeter why can't I just get the power from a power cable?

#7 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,843 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:53 PM

Because it's not a voltmeter.

#8 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:33 PM

Amps can't be converted to volts?

#9 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:43 PM

It had a sports dash , before it was Christine's , check to see if any wires are taped up in the loom . I don't think the mechanic would have snipped them .

#10 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,566 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:37 AM

Re the wiring diagram. I don't think so, and if there is it's not complete. Only one I found is LJ, not 100% it's the same. Simon I do have that blue holder, wasn't sure what it was for. How does the bulb attach to it? As for the other illumination bulbs, I'm guessing I will need to find ones with power going to them? HK onwards did you say? Also, I'll use the LC tabs like you have suggested.

You'll need HT/G instrument illumination bulb holders. HK used bulb holders and a printed circuit board like your LC.

An alternative is to try and find an instrument wiring loom cut for a GTR dash.  

#11 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:51 AM

Easy way to do the ammeter.

Find the main Battery feed to the fusebox.

Its the one that comes from the fusible link on the starter.

Cut it at the fusebox and extend it to the ammeter.

Connect it to the -ve terminal on ammeter.

Find another piece of wire the same size and connect one end to the +ve terminal on the ammeter.

Connect other end to the fusebox where you cut the first wire.

Solder and heatshrink the joins.

#12 debkar

debkar

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

Sorry Jacob , Dave is correct loom is HG

You'll need HT/G instrument illumination bulb holders. HK used bulb holders and a printed circuit board like your LC.

An alternative is to try and find an instrument wiring loom cut for a GTR dash.  

Hi Jacob,

The gen light standard size bulb holder clips into the blue holder and the whole unit then fits in the small hole in the back of the GTR type gauge,

#13 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:40 PM

Ok all very good info, just hope it's not in vein now as Bruce is probably right. Bruce I thought that was the case but the wiring has a standard plug in it and I can see other wires, would probably explain why I have an extra wire from the coil no power must be tacho!

#14 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

Couldnt really find the illusive harness so will start from scratch. Will start by looping all the 12v connections for each gauge. Will most likely drill two holes in each bulb holder, and solder wires to the tangs, this should work? Ill find signal wires for each gauge and attach them. Each corner gauge has a hole in the back, is this for a light? They are round holes without the cutout to twist the holder in. Will the gen warning light fit to the funny blue bulb holder?

Where does the main earth for the dash go? And where do i connect the wiring to load the alternator if i dont use the ammeter gauge? 

Cheers

Edited by judgelj, 02 December 2013 - 09:06 PM.

#15 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:52 PM

If I remember correctly the earth for the dash screws to the metal directly behind.

With the ammeter you will still have the globe to excite the alternator. 

The main wire from the alternator goes to the battery.

Then off the starter motor a wire goes up to feed the ignition switch and fuse box. It should go through a fusible link from the starter motor.

#16 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

Im a touch confused. Do you know which wire in the standard dash loom is to load the alternator?

Cheers

#17 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:39 PM

To excite the alternator pretty sure its a brown wire that runs from the chg globe to the ind terminal on the alternator.

If you have external regulator it also goes there. The other side of the globe goes to an ignition feed.

#18 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

Ok so a few questions. Do I use the wire that runs from the spade terminal of the alternator as the earth for the GEN globe, and 12v for the positive? Is that right?

Also, how can I identify the fusible link wire at the fuse panel? How to I wire in the brake warning switch? Do I connect the wire straight to the brake light bulb, has it got power?

Cheers

#19 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:24 AM

Probably start an argument here but, the best way to wire up the ammeter is to cut the main power feed at the starter motor after the fusible link,now get about 4 meters of 6 mm twin sheathed cable from Bursons,discard the wire that goes from the alternator output to battery positive on the battery.now strip enough off the red cable out of the twin sheathed cable to connect the alt output to the cable runs back into the cabin.
Next step is to connect the ammeter, take the remaking piece of twin sheathed cable connect the black cable to the alt /power feed connection you made earlier,the red cable connects to the fusible link,all that remains is to connect the ammeter and it's done,this basically how it's done factory and ya not working under the dash,as far as the indicator light goes doesn't really matter what it is so long as both terminals are insulated from earth as the globe gets an earth through the alt to excite it as you stated.
Regards Phillip

#20 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:19 PM

Thanks Phillip. Is 3/4mm wire ok if I was to splice into the main feed under the dash and extend it?

So the alternator feed is an earth, which means the other wire should be 12v, and definitely shielded from other earth as the holder is plastic. Is this right?

What about the break warning light? Diagram shows two wires connected, one is the brake fail wire, and the other is hand brake wire. How can I connect these two a bulb holder that is earthed to the dash casing? Or do I have to use a bulb holder with two wires?

#21 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,566 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

Jacob, the brake fail/handbrake warning bulb holder cannot be earthed. The brake fail switch at the brake pipe junction block and the h/brake switch at the h/brake lever provide the earth for the bulb.

#22 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

So what powers the bulb? If I solder another wire into the holder, and join the handbrake switch to one wire, break fail to the other, it won't work will it? Sorry if I'm a bit thick I'm just a bit slow to wrap my head around this stuff.

Everything else is pretty straight forward though. Will be buying a plug too.

#23 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,566 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

12v power from the dash instruments to one connecter in the bulb holder and the brake fail switch and h/brake lever switch wires joined together onto the other connector.

#24 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:00 PM

you need to use twin sheathed cable, ie a red and a black 6 mm cable in a plastic sheath,not sure on the brake fail light, think it might get a feed from the start circuit

#25 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

Thank you so much, makes perfect sense.

I see your logic now, I went and bought 6mm cable rated at 50amp, all the small stuff is only 10amp or so

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users