StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

if the new owner has to return the shell i would be returned as I bought it...

If this is stated clearly to the PO then he'd be likely to accept a cash amount for it.

s

#27 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

If this is stated clearly to the PO then he'd be likely to accept a cash amount for it.

s

yes mate you would hope so...

#28 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:53 PM

If the original owner wasn't that interested until he saw a pic of it as it is now, it stands to reason he thinks he is going to get the finished car, not just the shell.

Hopefully he's willing to work something out when he realises that's not the case.

Fully agree about giving him the shell as it was bought, if it comes to that.

#29 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

The more i think about this thread, the more i tend to sympathise with the original owner....

They certainly were not high value back when it was stolen from him... But from what i understand what was stolen from him was a whole car ? Not just a shell ?

So it would stand to reason he wants the whole lot back ? Hell it might have been in as good a nick when it was stolen...??

In any case, i find it interesting the owner did not notice a change of body number from a 3 to an 8? I remember my old cars numbers off the top of my head and certainly would have noticed..( though perhaps i am strange, as i would think nothing of spending a friday night in the garage drinking beer with my car...perfectly normal!)... Particularly if i had the numbers completely researched before purchase...many times even....?

I am not saying it is right that the old owner gets a fully restored car for nothing, but put yourself in his shoes for a minute ? Might have been his old mans car ?

Edited by Gonad Gobbler, 04 December 2013 - 06:07 PM.

#30 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,127 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

How can you warrant that he gets the whole car back when the. owner now has put that car back together with parts that wernt on the car when stolen
that he has paid a lot of money for
i can already see how this will pan out the original owner will get his shell back dont worry about that the courts will have no choice its was his car
but for all the rest of the parts well he is not entitled to them

#31 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:18 PM

I dont warrant that?

The original owner lost a whole car, not a shell, from what i read ?

#32 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,127 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

I dont warrant that?
The original owner lost a whole car, not a shell, from what i read ?

True but alexs mate bought a rolling shell
this is a hard one

#33 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

How can you warrant that he gets the whole car back when the. owner now has put that car back together with parts that wernt on the car when stolen
that he has paid a lot of money for
i can already see how this will pan out the original owner will get his shell back dont worry about that the courts will have no choice its was his car
but for all the rest of the parts well he is not entitled to them

The car is stolen and a good chance it was a complete car and not a shell, don't think it matters anyway. If people didn't touch things that do not belong to them this shit would not happen.

Just think if your parents had their XY GT stolen 40yrs ago and it turned up today and it now worth $2-300,000, would you want it back?

#34 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

True but alexs mate bought a rolling shell
this is a hard one

It not hard at all, it's a STOLEN car. When has it been 1/2 alright to owner stolen property?

#35 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

If the current owner purchased JUST the shell, then thats all he should have to repay the value of or return.

If the previous owner had an entire car stolen, then its up to him to track down all the rest of the parts.

IMO.

Cheers.

#36 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,127 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:21 PM

Thank you dj common sence at last

#37 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,127 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:24 PM

What your saying lakeside is that the original owner should get the whole car back
not gunna happen

id be taking all my parts of the car and give him the shell back the same state i bought it in simple

#38 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

I think you're all getting a little overwhelmed by sentimentality once again.

He buys a car off some guy who tells him this rather unusual story about where he got it (which you yourself emphasise), a desirable car shell no-one else apparently notices in a wrecking yard now closed.

Your mate triple checks the numbers before buying but after sandblasting doesn't check the now revealed new (real) number which has obviously been tampered with ?

Does he have a receipt with the original tampered number from the guy he bought it off ?

And does the guy he bought it off have a receipt from alleged wrecking yard with the original tampered number ?

This is the elephant in the room here IMO.

#39 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

nasty situation
no winners there!

#40 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:45 PM

As stated though, its very, very hard to check if a cars stolen. 

A REVS check will not show up if the car is stolen, just if any money is owed upon it. 

A police check is possible, but, having tried myself in the past, its dang near impossible due to them not wishing to help honest people trying to do the right thing and more interested in forcing said people to become "criminals" so they can fine them.

Cheers.

#41 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

Yep agree that's the go, it should be the wrecking yards issue, they should be the one either I believe compensating the value of the shell to the original owner and my mate keeps his car together or my mate gets compensated for his work and his chassis, motor and parts and the original owner keeps it.

Surely the old owner of the wrecking yard can be tracked down and as far as I'm aware a case is never closed untill it's solved as far the law goes.
It is known it came out of that yard so he should be liable he is the one that sold a stolen shell, did he really know though, he might have checked the numbers too and they were good or did he sell the rest of the car off and knows where the original chassis is.

My money is on someone knew in that yard at some stage, they stripped it years ago and that's why the shell was put on top of a container and anytime someone asked about it "nar can't get it down mate or not for sale"..... Then, the wrecking yard changes hands, new owner, and for years that symbolic monaro shell on the container someone comes in off the street and says "ourwabout that up there mate" and we all know the rest of the story but not the ending. Yet.

#42 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:10 AM

from what i understand what was stolen from him was a whole car ? Not just a shell ?

So it would stand to reason he wants the whole lot back ? Hell it might have been in as good a nick when it was stolen...??

This is true, however, let's say it happened two years ago, the police intruded on the wrecking yard and found the shell on top of the container.  They would then contact the owner to say - 'yo, we found your stolen car.'

Then the owner would have to make his way to the wrecking yard to pick up his shell .... if he at all still wanted it.  Nobody would then owe it to the previous owner to fix his car and return it to him the way it was stolen, not even the wrecker.

If the wrecker had the details of the person he bought it off, the PO could then sue that person but what are the chances?  It'd open up a can of worms, he'd probably say he bought the shell from someone else.

The police could charge that seller or the wrecker for buying stolen property or maybe even for stealing the car in the first place but the PO will not get his car back the way it was stolen.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 05 December 2013 - 07:18 AM.

#43 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:15 AM

This is true, however, let's say it happened two years ago, the police intruded on the wrecking yard and found the shell on top of the container.  They would then contact the owner to say - 'yo, we found your stolen car.'

Then the owner would have to make his way to the wrecking yard to pick up his shell .... if he at all still wanted it.  Nobody would then owe it to the previous owner to fix his car and return it to him the way it was stolen, not even the wrecker.

s

Yeah %100 well put

#44 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:33 AM

Im just glad neither party is me.

What a shitfight.

#45 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:32 AM

nasty situation
no winners there!

I disagree, I think the thief's probably did alright out of it I have heard this story a few times over the years, the first time was maybe 20 years ago. I did however hear of one happy ending when a women had her corolla stolen and the police located it in a drug raid a month later with new tires and the engine had been serviced and the car was running a lot better then it had been when it was stolen. She was able to keep the car as it was found.

A good mate had his yellow cortina stolen, and a year later it was found disguised with stolen plates off another yellow cortina, thief's... not the brightest lol

#46 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:49 AM

I did however hear of one happy ending when a women had her corolla stolen and the police located it in a drug raid a month later with new tires and the engine had been serviced and the car was running a lot better then it had been when it was stolen. She was able to keep the car as it was found.

Different scenario, that car was confiscated, they don't give drug dealers back any gains they made from trading drugs so the parts stay on the car and it goes back to the PO.

If however, the cops find that the new tyres/parts were stolen and they could trace the PO of those parts ... perhaps another shitfight but my guess is the tyres/parts would likely go to the PO and the car returned to the woman minus the parts.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 05 December 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#47 Oversteer

Oversteer

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Car:LH SLR5000

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

Shit situation, but you have to look at it from both sides...

Say someone stole your SLR5000, running licensed car 10 years ago... then out of the blue the cops call you and say we have found your car ! Great do I get it back ? Yeah its a running car that's been restored but this guy says he bought it off that guy and he bought it off and wrecker and he just wants strip it and give you a damaged shell back !!

Why should you believe all these stories that sound like bullshit, or accept payment for a wrecked shell ? Wait what !!?? ! unfortunately its the old Caveat emptor

Sorry for your mate OP, but if someone stole my complete HT Monaro and it was found....I`d want my car back...complete.

#48 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:33 PM

A complete HT monaro was worth 20 years ago what a wrecked shell is now though?

#49 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:47 AM

Say someone stole your SLR5000, running licensed car 10 years ago... then out of the blue the cops call you and say we have found your car ! Great do I get it back ? Yeah its a running car that's been restored but this guy says he bought it off that guy and he bought it off and wrecker and he just wants strip it and give you a damaged shell back !!

Why should you believe all these stories that sound like bullshit, or accept payment for a wrecked shell ? Wait what !!?? ! unfortunately its the old Caveat emptor

Sorry for your mate OP, but if someone stole my complete HT Monaro and it was found....I`d want my car back...complete.

This is why they're taking it to court.

Indeed caveat emptor, he bought the shell hence he loses it as it was stolen.

If there is any proof that the car was once bought as a shell and the current owner has receipts of the gear he has added, my guess is that will sway the judge's decision to return the car as a shell.

If the current owner has receipts of goods he has bought and added to the car, it is still rightfully his goods, I can't see any reason why the PO should claim them.

s

#50 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:51 AM

Just wondering......... what about if he has no firm evidence that he was unaware that the shell was stolen, or what if it was proven that he was aware that it was ?

What would the be law there concerning the parts he has added and has receipts for ?

Edited by GTR - U9X, 06 December 2013 - 09:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users