SA IPRA at Truck Round

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2006 - 01:29 PM

July 22nd & 23rd is the the Truck races at Mallala
Improved Production will be racing both days. Should be 4 Torana's in attendance for this, 2 hatches and 2 4doors including LH350 from this site.
Historic touring cars will also be racing in support as well.

Should be a good two days of racing. Will have to make sure the memory sticks are empty, the batteries charged and take the laptop incase I fill the sticks.

#2 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:47 PM

Hatchman you beat me to it! :D

Looking forward to this one, there's a good selection of classes to choose from.... Kinda hoping it stays dry so I can work on getting some consistancy into my lap times.

Gonna spend some time over the next couple of wkends getting the car ready, there are a few small changes I want to make to the setup. Rod Tech have made me some new axles, apparently the old ones were not heat treated at all so were very soft....

I'm also doing some driver instruction for Track Skill this saturday at Mallala, so it will give me a chance get some more practice in (albeit in an old commodore) - should be a good laugh!

Here is some detail on the event that I got from the website:

SuperTruck Nationals, Mallala, 21-23 July 2006

Its� that time of year again as Mallala prepares to host the annual SuperTruck Nationals Championship. This year the event will be held from Friday 21st July to Sunday 23rd July and apart from the �big banger� SuperTrucks, there will be a full range of entertaining support categories, plus the popular �Ute Parade�.

Support Categories;
Historic Touring Cars
Formula Vee
Saloon Cars
HQ Holdens
Improved Production

Entry;
Friday $10
Saturday $15
Sunday $25
Kids U14 Free
Free Grandstands
Pit Paddock Pass $10

AUSTRALIA�S QUICKEST TRUCKS AT MALLALA
SuperTruck Racing is back at the Mallala in July, the main day being Sunday 22nd, with Round Two of six rounds to decide the fastest truck in Australia.

Once considered a novelty, the sport of racing powerful prime mover trucks flat-out has become serious business. The excitement and visual impact of SuperTruck racing has led to a growing number of loyal and enthusiastic fans around the country.

These lumbering road warriors defy gravity at breath-taking speed. The characteristic deep rumble of powerful engines, shuddering brakes and the squeal of racing tyres are all part of the excitement, especially when they are three abreast around a corner.

SuperTrucks in their current form have diesel engines with around 10,000 cc, averaging horsepower in excess of 1200hp and weighing around 5 tonnes. They are capable of times between 11-13 seconds over a quarter mile.

Sharing the track with the SuperTrucks, are the equally exciting 6000cc/3 tonne Super Light Trucks. Michael Seton, Stan Seton and Doug Little will be out to show the Supertrucks just what they are capable of, and Jeff Mackin, the goliath killer will have no trouble mixing it with the SuperTrucks.

Adelaide motor racing and trucking identity Bob Middleton will again be the local favourite. Also, popular local truck racer John �the Bomber� Bomberle is also back in his distinctive Hi-Trans Racing rig.
The event will also feature a support race program including Historic Touring Cars, Saloon Cars, Formula Vee, HQ Holdens and Improved Production. The annual Ute Parade will also be there, along with other track demonstrations.

cheers,

Sam

#3 _hrt1and2_

_hrt1and2_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2006 - 04:54 PM

yea ill be there :spoton: cant bloody wait, i love the truck racing heaps (number 69 is my favourite, only coz it gives of heaps of black smoke lol. ) might pay u guys a visit if all goes well. Good luck. :spoton:

Also if u pre purchase ur tickets i think u get a free padock pass.

Cheers Aaron.

#4 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:53 PM

Sorry I beat ya too it Sam.
Thought you may have been busy getting ready for it and it was getting close so I put it up.
Looking forward to that weekend. I'll have a disk for you too. Will even chuck the pics of the ex Harvey A9X on it, I'm sure you'll appreciate them.
If I remember I'll bring the 20x30inch photo of Bob Middletons truck that I took last year to give you an Idea of the quaility incase you ever want to get one of yours blown up from that disk. It was with my old Sony camera (5 megapixels). the ones of your car were taken with my Canon (8 megapixles) so will be as good or better blown up.
Catch ya there

#5 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:21 PM

Sorry I beat ya too it Sam.

No probs mate, I always appreciate a bit of help!

Thanks heaps for making me a copy of your pics, will def get a couple blown up :)

Hopefully there will be some good photo opportunities for you (as long as it dosnt invlove me in a stack..haha)

cheers,

Sam

#6 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:23 PM

Went around to dave's on Friday night. He's looking forward to it big time. Been two years since he last raced so he's got an itchy right foot.
Lets hope the wheather is good on both days.

#7 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:38 PM

Hey thats good news, saw the entry list the other day and it was looking a bit thin.... I hope Eldo gets his engine sorted by then too!

#8 _Toranamuk_

_Toranamuk_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:15 AM

Hey thats good news, saw the entry list the other day and it was looking a bit thin.... I hope Eldo gets his engine sorted by then too!

Were did you find the entry list for the truck round, I've looked at the SCC site & can't find an entry list,

I'm probably looking in the wrong area for it.

#9 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 01:36 PM

Just email Neville Pym, at [email protected] and he'll send you a copy!

I see you have a saloon car in your avatar, are you going to be running at this event?

cheers,

Sam

Edited by 350LH, 12 July 2006 - 01:38 PM.

#10 _Toranamuk_

_Toranamuk_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:55 PM

My wife will be running the car at the trucks, its her car, i just built it & pay the bills.

Naomi has to get her own dodgey crew for the weekend :spoton:

I'll be at Queensland raceway with the V8's with the car i crew on in the Fujitsu series.

#11 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:05 PM

My wife will be running the car at the trucks, its her car, i just built it & pay the bills

Ok cool, so Naomi would have run at round 2 in May? Was she part of that SBS doco on women in motorsport? Would be great to see more ladies giving it a go, if Leanne Tander can do it...

Hope things go well for her at the trucks, hopefully I should make it to the fujitsu round in sep, be sure to say hi (if you have a spare moment) in the pits :)

cheers,

Sam

Edited by 350LH, 12 July 2006 - 11:06 PM.

#12 _Toranamuk_

_Toranamuk_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:16 PM

Yes, Naomi did run round 2 & she was part of the ABC report.

She was a bit nervous about what they'd show & how it would come across, but it turned out fair in the end.

Its her first season racing & only her 2nd competitive meeting so far.

At least between now & the V8 round at Mallala there's 2 more race meets for us, The truck round & the SCC round 3.

Are you running in both events ?

What car is yours ? I've had a quick look at Andrews hatch, but would like to get time for a closer look at it.

#13 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:42 PM

I'm entered in the truck round, its only my second meeting so im new to it as well... :)

Assuming I can get through it with no major problems I will def run at the V8 round, but will prob miss round 3 in between. In the process of looking for a house (with a decent shed of course!) so its going to be a bit of a juggling act...

I'm running an LH Torana sedan (orange with blackouts), chev, toploder, 9inch. Im pretty happy with my progess so far, hoping to get the times down a bit more (currently mid 22's) but i'll need the weather to cooperate...

#14 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 03:05 AM

This one is Sams

Posted Image

#15 _Toranamuk_

_Toranamuk_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:07 PM

I have seen the car in the pits, but have'nt had a chance to come & have a look.

I wont see you at the trucks, but at a practice or a meeting i'll come & have a look & a chat.

#16 _Poinsdexter_

_Poinsdexter_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2006 - 04:25 PM

Toranamuk,

I will be up at Willowbank on the weekend also, just bummin' around. I'm counting on a friend for a pit pass, so I'll pop in and say hello.

Which car are you looking after? Do you have someone looking after your data? I've done a reasonable amount with Motec datalogging only (not ECU programming), although I have configured Traction/Launch control - not that its any good to a V8 Supercar!

Andrew

#17 _hrt1and2_

_hrt1and2_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:04 PM

sounds like ur pritty clued up poinsdexter. i gotta remember to tape the v8's sunday, why did they put the truck racing on this weekend? and not last weeked.

#18 _Toranamuk_

_Toranamuk_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:29 PM

Poinsdexter, I crew for the Shane Beikoff deiseltech/Turbo Brisbane AU V8 in the Fujitsu series, car No 68.

This weekend & for Oran park the car will have E+ethanol livery down the sides.

Definitely come in for a G'day & a nosey, hopefully its not too chaotic at the time. Just ask for Craig.

To any one, please feel free to come & have a look. Shane is a great car owner & promoter of the sport, & doesn't mind (if time permits) doing photos with people sitting in the car, or if people just want a closer look at a V8 super car. Its one the few teams that don't mind, we've got no secrets to hide, & just love being part of the whole sport.

Saturday is our quietest day by far. :D

#19 _hrt1and2_

_hrt1and2_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2006 - 06:07 PM

cant wait till tommorow :)

#20 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:08 PM

Was a good couple of days. The trucks were entertaing in the wet on Sunday after a few showers in the morning. I took around 1600 photos over the two days in only 3 out of the 6 catagories racing. About 180 of Sam in action from various track positions. Around 220 of Waynes Hactch. Around 60 of Daves 4 door (not bad for only 10 laps total).Got some good shots of Sam and Wayne together during an awsome dual in their last race for the weekend. Heaps of Historic Touring cars 3 LJ's, 2 EH's, 2 Camaros, 1 XY Falcon, 1 HQ Monaro and few others I forget right now plus heaps of the Trucks.

Will post pics in the next couple of days. Have to select and down size a few.

A few of my freinds did not have the best weekends racing in their catagories.

Freinds EH copped a ding in the front drivers side compliments of a big yellow Camaro on Saturday. He was less than impressed as it's the first time in 4 years racing hes had any panel damage. On Sunday in the last race he only lasted two laps before he had no brakes left (gotta love the 4 wheel drums).

Freinds LJ Torana blew a gearbox on Saturday. Blew the diff on Sunday and blew the head gasket again for the second meeting in a row in the last race on Sunday. The new head was only only put together at 11pm Friday night.

Mrs Hatchmans Cousins Husband chewed a bearing in the LX 4 door after 3 laps in the first race on Saturday. This was a new motor so not very happy as he was quicker than his son.

Mrs Hatchmans Cousins Husband son in the Hatch had problems with throwing a belt all weekend. Last race it ruputured an oil line couple of laps from the end. No real damage just messy.

Sam had a dead battery and missed the last race on Saturday.

Looking at that it seems it's not a good thing to know me as everyone had some sort of problem. I'll put it down to just motor racing as I don't know the guy that had the tyre rack go through his Alfas windscreen on the tow to the track.

Edited by HatchmanSS76, 24 July 2006 - 10:09 PM.

#21 _hrt1and2_

_hrt1and2_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:45 PM

yeah mate, best bloody day ever, rain was good for the trucks they were running wide at the northern hairpin. haha great stuff, that bloody yellow camaro in the historics had so much power, i was really amazed. and the noise of the HQ's with there 202's makes me wanna get one. :). Didn't take to much interest in the formula vee cars, seem a little boring to me.

Glad to meet u Sam, I love that car. last race u seem to have the pace like u said in the dry it goes better. also had a quick peep at the yellow hatch (number 34??) nicely presented car, its a credit to u guys.

Hatchman is that the yellow torrie hatch that blew the oil line? coz that had some pace in the wet.

Overall, awesome day, cant wait for the v8 supercars later on.

Ps i got a few photos. but the camera shat it self, i think the diesle fumes got to it lol.

Cheers.

#22 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:31 PM

Hey everyone,

Yeah, not a bad weekend, had this crazy idea that the trucks would lay down heaps of rubber and make the track nice and grippy...... In the end all they did was drop plenty of diesel fuel and water everywhere.... :(

Didnt make it for the friday practice sessions so it was straight into the practice/qualifying session on saturday morn. Didnt go too bad but really struggled for grip for most of the session. Forgot to charge the battery before this meet and it caught me out for the first race, just decided to die while I was on the form up grid.... grrrrrrrrrrr :furious:

Got to the track at 7.30am on sunday to light rain, the trucks went out for a warm up session then it was race 2. Light rain and desiel fuel made the track super slippery, spent the race honing my wet weather skills.... :D
Race 3 was better, started to get a bit of a dry line happening and the times started to head in the right direction, but not enough confidence to push things as hard as I would have liked.

Race 4 was by far the best one, finally I had some grip. Went pretty hard from the outset, passed quite a few people and had a great dice with Wayne in his hatch, managed to get past him going through the kink (high speed right hander) that was a buzz. At about the half way mark (about 5 laps) my lack of driver fitness started to slow me down, its pretty hard on the arms muscling a torana around a tight track like mallala and the puny arms started to struggle....

All in all not a bad weekend, didnt have any major mechanical problems and managed to keep the car straight, so I was happy. I've got alot of work to do with regard to braking points, still losing lots of time in this area, but every outing im learning more.

Probably not going to be out till the fujitsu race in september now, hopefully it will be a drier event!

cheers,

Sam

#23 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:43 PM

Hatchman is that the yellow torrie hatch that blew the oil line? coz that had some pace in the wet.

Hi HRT,

Cheers mate, was good to meet you too!

Yup that was Wayne who had the oil leak problem, and yes his pace was pretty decent, Id say he definately has the skills in the wet!

Hopefully Dave will get the sedan sorted and be out there for the fujitsu race, he'd be fun to race against!

cheers,

Sam

#24 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:15 AM

Hi Sam,
good to see you had an interesting weekend....

I've got alot of work to do with regard to braking points, still losing lots of time in this area, but every outing im learning more.

I know exactly what you mean.... I have to relearn everything compared to my old car as I am arriving at the brake points much faster.. so its not easy.

I am still very slow, but at this stage I dont mind as I have spent alot of time and money to get this far and I am just happy to be out there. As you know the further up the grid you go the bigger the sheep stations.... I still laugh when a fellow competitior says... "shit its fast in a straight line" :spoton:

#25 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:58 PM

Hey Pete,

Yeah the fact that they are a big, heavy, powerful car makes braking a key area to getting good lap times (esp on the tighter tracks)

I still havnt got the system on my car sorted yet, It has a proper AP 4 spot calipers with close to 300mm rotors running on floating hubs, but I've been running it still with the standard master cyl and booster setup. Has been working okay, but it really lacks the feel and its much harder to modulate the braking under heavy application. Ive got my balance bar and remote adjuster, just got to get the correct master cyls and fabricate the bits to make it all fit.....

The other thing that will help is a fresh set of tyres, the ones I currently have I got s/h and I think they have been heat cycled a few too many times......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users