Blinker Cancellers

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:37 PM

Anyone got pics of the steering colum after you take the steering wheel/boss off. I just want to know what I'm missing e.g Springs, piece of plastic on the steering wheel etc. Or better yet, a quick fix to pass blue slip so I can drive my LJ with insurance and rego. Ill post a pic of what I have right now if i can find the camera...and you can tell me what Im missing.

Thanks guys
James

#2 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:12 PM

Jack car up,make sure the front wheels are straight,put steering on & see if it works properly then.Sometimes if the wheel isnt straight it may cancel one side easily & not the other as there is a part{like a hump) on the steering shaft that touches the plastic cancellor when you go to turn the wheel back.
This is because you changed the steering wheel didn't you?

#3 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:17 PM

took mine off yesterday, ill post a pic in 5min

#4 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:18 PM

hmm.. Mines a UC will it be the same???

#5 _munro_

_munro_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:48 PM

it's a common fault with the Lc Ljs rare speres sell the repair kits for them

#6 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:02 PM

Shane - Dammit cant find the camera. Well the old steering wheel didnt cancel either? So It wasnt because I changed it. My steering wheel doesnt seem to have a "hump" that cancels it. I jacked it up and gave it a twirl, neither side cancelled.

Toranaz - I dont know if theyll be the same. But thanks anyway =D

Munro - If i get desperate ill go to rare spares, but they charge a bit much.

Edited by JBird, 05 July 2006 - 05:03 PM.

#7 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:30 PM

LJ indicator mechanisms are basically the same as UC apart from the stalk itself... Two round springs on either side - You have the tube on the right way don't you - on the steering wheel? Not 180degrees out?

#8 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:37 PM

Hi Guys.

munro said "it's a common fault with the Lc Ljs rare speres sell the repair kits for them "

LC & LJ have entirely different blinker switches. The LC is the same as HK/HT/HG & has a plastic section thats breaks, this part is the so-called Rare Spares Repair Kit.

The LJ use the same basic switch as HQ/HJ/HX/HZ/WB/TA/LH/LX/UC/VB/VC/VH/VK/VL. They have 2 small springs, 1 Right Hand & 1 Left Hand, they are about $1 each & I think Holden still stock them.

Dr Terry.

#9 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:48 PM

Thanks Dr Terry. :spoton:
So where do I get the springs and where do they go. I know you said holden probably still stock them, but where do I exactly get them. Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question.

#10 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:54 PM

mmmm...I googled it and this came up Link to Old GMHTorana Looks like the questions already been answered before.

Thanks to everyone again. :clap: Off to the holden dealer to buy the two springs.

#11 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:21 PM

Didnt realise you could dig those posts up somehow, included a pic of the springs....its all I had, obviously indicator switch not connected to the shaft, but one can see clearly how the lug/cam on the end of the wheel should connect with them.
indicator springs
cancellug

Edited by devilsadvocate, 05 July 2006 - 06:24 PM.

#12 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:24 PM

thanks DA, that helps. :spoton:

google it and if you find a link to gmh at imagineering or whatever. click on 'cached', it works most of the time.

Edited by JBird, 05 July 2006 - 06:26 PM.

#13 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:46 PM

when i bought my lj last year it had one of those silly little steering wheels and the blinkers never cancelled at the swap i bought a gtr wheel and whacked it on and now they cancel perfectly!!!

so i geuss beware of aftermakret novelties!!!

cheers chevy

#14 _troy_

_troy_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:28 AM

Had the same problem with my LC took about 5 weeks to fix ,using liquid steel and araldite to fix mine as they are rare ,and hard to find even out other toranas ,they still didnt fit properly,rare spares are useless in that area ,Repair kits!Ha,ya cant repair somethin thats completely F#*ked

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users