390hp 202

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

Anyone catch a glimpse of the F something Holden on man and machine tonight? Red 202, jzed head and webers, reckons it puts out 390hp.

Optimistic?

#2 _tryhard_

_tryhard_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:39 PM

at the flywheel

#3 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

Which will be pretty low in rwhp for a jzed head wouldn't it?

#4 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Lord Humungus The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:LJ GTR

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:23 AM

"Pretty Low" man it has close to 400 ponies at fly.... N/A form that ain't no slouch and not only well screwed together but also has some knowledge & probably dyno time invested in tuning it like a clock... rwhp would be determined by such things as gearbox, differential, wheels & tyres etc.

#5 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Name:Trevor

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:28 AM

Anyone catch a glimpse of the F something Holden on man and machine tonight? Red 202, jzed head and webers, reckons it puts out 390hp.

Optimistic?

Paul Freestone's FX

Cant post the link!

Google it

#6 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

Interestingly don't run a flywheel, Nascar spec'd internals and dyno'd at 370 neddies, which could be at treads or end of the cranky-shaft in this case...... If at the wheels then probably loosing upwards of 60--70hp through driveline... "That's some fairly stout Two-O"

Edited by WhaleOilBeefHooked, 28 January 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#7 Dave6179

Dave6179

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Name:David
  • Car:HJ, VN, VX SS

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

There was a 400hp Torana on the cover of Street Machine a while ago, although it was a 235 stroker. A std stroke 202 with 390?????????

#8 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:07 PM

I'm not saying it is low. I'm asking if that is low for the setup. You know, the 6 thousand dollar head. I would have thought that would be break hp. Don't people make over 300 with Holden 9 ports?

#9 _datpsi_

_datpsi_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

Most the quick nc guys seeing over 310 320 at flywheel. Know a Speedway bloke with 265 at treads.

#10 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

Those 9 ports prolly cost more than a jzed though.

#11 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

There was a 400hp Torana on the cover of Street Machine a while ago, although it was a 235 stroker. A std stroke 202 with 390?????????

If you are talking about the orange one from Newcastle featured way back in 98 I think you'll find it was just a bit of hype to sell a few more magazines.

If you read the article the 400hp at the flywheel claim was speculative as the motor was not fully run in and dependent on revving the modified Ford crank to 7500rpm.

He does say however that it had shown 220 rwhp at 5000rpm on avgas.

#12 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

Well whats impressive was the 5ltr chev 6 in that vk? touring car. Wow 400hp at the treads that's unreal. 

#13 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

And then there's this thing.............  not exactly standard...........  :) 

#14 Dave6179

Dave6179

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Name:David
  • Car:HJ, VN, VX SS

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

If you are talking about the orange one from Newcastle featured way back in 98 I think you'll find it was just a bit of hype to sell a few more magazines.

If you read the article the 400hp at the flywheel claim was speculative as the motor was not fully run in and dependent on revving the modified Ford crank to 7500rpm.

He does say however that it had shown 220 rwhp at 5000rpm on avgas.

Thats it, but '98 was a bloody long time ago, difficult to remember details... I drink a lot apparently!

#15 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:40 PM

"What You Talkin Bout Willis" / Judge ?? You have my attention & the ole listening ear aids turned up full blast so Please do tell more as this is right up my alley......

#16 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:07 PM

Ok, well. If you caught Man and machine you would have seen the bloke interview a gentlemen from the geelong nostalgia race event (whatever it is called), with a group something race car VK/H vintage. This car has a chev 5ltr straight 6 putting out around 400bhp. Was an absolute animal and all he really said is that the blokes from that states are getting 700+hp, but they arent too open about their techniques. All i could gather was that it had DCOE webbers (48's i think) and a dougan head (or at least the rocker cover). 

cheers

#17 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

Ok, well. If you caught Man and machine you would have seen the bloke interview a gentlemen from the geelong nostalgia race event (whatever it is called), with a group something race car VK/H vintage. This car has a chev 5ltr straight 6 putting out around 420bhp. Was an absolute animal and all he really said is that the blokes from that states are getting 700+hp, but they arent too open about their techniques. All i could gather was that it had webbers (48's i think) and a duggan head (or at least the rocker cover). 

Video:

http://www.shannons....s-1-episode-10/

2.10 seconds is where it starts

cheers

#18 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

Kind Thanks Judge, And yes 700+ in N/A form with a hybrid head, Over in Brazil they achieve 1300+ with a hairdryer... Sadly the tall deck 292 wont fit under the bonnet of my torrie, and don't want the rocker cover poking out, Besides too many cubes for rego, But it's baby brother is more to my liking... 250+c.i. with similar cylinder head......

Attached Files

• Attached File  10.jpg   186.19K   6 downloads
  • Attached File  10a.jpg   157.98K   8 downloads

#19 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

Wow thanks for the pictures. What a piece of machinery. I was wondering if it would fit in the torrie. So exactly what ci is it?

#20 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:52 AM

Short Deck 250, although with sbc internals "there's always room for improvement"... The surface rusted N.O.S. block at front of pallet is getting custom stroker crank, 6" carillo rods with arias slugs and all the latest wizz-bang pieces I can cram in or on it......

#21 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:10 AM

What is that rail for?

#22 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:59 AM

Remarkable how much they remind me of a 202. What CI are the bigger brothers. The 5ltr's?

#23 _xu1torana_

_xu1torana_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:58 AM

Whaleoilbeefhooked

Do you own the Duggan motor in the photo,

#24 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

Craig both complete engines previously resided in a race boat so the rail is for water feed and fed from underneath the hull... Jacob 1stly sorry for hijacking your thread, but you ignited the flame, Yes these are commonly mistaken for a Holden 6 by the untrained eye, Dissy is in wrong place, Big bro / tall deck are 292ci and both blocks can be bored out to accept 4" slugs or with sleeves even larger... Alan unfortunately it's only a Duggan headed cast iron engine and not a full aluminium Duggan masterpiece, Yes I own both complete 250's plus the N.O.S. virgin block that's currently undergoing surgery to accept all the good gear, Then it's going to reside between the guards of my LJ... Now can you Please tell me why that car of yours "Ron King Xu1" starts ringing bells in my head and it has nufin to do with the fact we have same last name... If memory serves me correctly "and it fails to do so these days" that car also had a "non Holden product" under the hood and raced on the white condiment kinda surface......

#25 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

Not to worry, andrew, its a great read. So roughly 5ltr from the 292? What were they fitted in back over in the US? I wonder how they would go in say an L20 hatch 4 speed with A9X reverse cowel. Oh wow this is bad thought processing.... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users