Wheels

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:39 PM

hi,
Just looking into what wheels im going to hit to the LX hatch.

What width tyres are the most practicle, best lookin and best fitting for my LX hatch??
Its going to be a daily driver so I want some practicle that also looks tough.
Im going to be getting a flare kit for it too.

I think im going to go with 15" too. And i like the look of the hotwires.

thanks ryan

#2 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:00 PM

I think you should be able to run 15x7's with a 50 series rubber ok without guard surgery. Imho Hotwires are still a good look on the hl-lx.

#3 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:06 PM

Yea not too concered about doing guard surgery im just looking at options. Does anyone have any pics of their 14-15 or 16" hotwires at different widths??

Is it the usual to go with wider ones on the back??

thanks ryan

#4 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:13 PM

I had a 15x8.5 welds and 265/50 under the guards with room to spare. And without surgery to the body, just a shorter diff.

#5 _J&S Racing_

_J&S Racing_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:38 PM

If you want to go bigger on the back theres nothing like 15x10's with 265's or bigger on them, check out My car Domain to see them on the back of my hatch.

#6 slr5640

slr5640

XA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Name:Brian

Posted 08 July 2006 - 10:54 PM

Does anyone have any pics of their 14-15 or 16" hotwires at different widths??

I'm not sure they made them in 16 inch. But here's some pics of some 14's and a couple of 15's.The 15X 10 will fit with 285/45X15 tyres with flares and the
15X9 1/2 with 255/45X15 Tyres but you are talking about a lot of money here.
They made Hotwires in a heap of different widths. 6,7, 8, 9 1/4, 9 1/2,
I think 9 3/4, and 10 inches. I may have missed some here.
I had 14 X 7 inch and 8 inch wide Hotwires on a non flared Torana with no hassles with clearances.

14X 9 1/4
Posted Image

15X 9 1/2

Posted Image
15X 10

Posted Image
15X 10

Posted Image

#7 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:19 AM

I had a 15x8.5 welds and 265/50 under the guards with room to spare. And without surgery to the body, just a shorter diff.

Yea thats the other thing i have to look at, because im looking into putting VN disk brakes on the back. But i have talked to one of the members about it and there an easy fit, with just some minor adjustments and they fit the torana stud pattern.

I think i would rather cut the guards than shorten the diff as im putting the flares on there anyhow, but thats my opinion.

Thanks for that post slr5640 gives a good insight. When you talk about big dollars wats an approximate??

Also ins't, relatively speaking the lower the profile the more expensive the tyre.
Also can i get away with a thicker profile tyre by cutting the guards for clearance???

Ie. Your first picture looks to be quite a low profile tyre and the second one with the larger 15 inch rim looks to have a larger profile.

The main thing i want to do is have enough tyre to fill up the flares. I did read that the L34 and A9X flares are different widths aswell??

Sorry for all the questions, im new to the torrie. lol

thanks ryan

#8 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2006 - 11:46 AM

There were two different width flares fitted to A9X sedans and one of them is larger than the L34 yes...

#9 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:27 PM

I love the look of hotwires on a flared torana. Gives that period look.
V5 gold simmons are up there as well.

There was only one wide type flare for the hatch.
As stated the L34 rear was narrow compared to the latter A9X sedan.
Some early (up for debate) A9X sedans had the narrow flare but I don't now why!

As to Hotwires, for holdens there are the two stud patterns and also different offsets so look before you leap as they are getting very expensive for anything over 8 inch.

One good thing for you if you are staying with the torana stud pattern is there were a sh!t load of A9X copies around in the 80's that had flares with 8" front and 10" rears.

Get in on a local car club and check those wrecker as they hide them in the rafters.

Good luck.

#10 LXdamo

LXdamo

Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Name:Damo
  • Car:bits here bits there.....

Posted 09 July 2006 - 07:14 PM

or in the pit,as in my case

#11 slr5640

slr5640

XA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Name:Brian

Posted 09 July 2006 - 07:33 PM

Thanks for that post slr5640 gives a good insight. When you talk about big dollars wats an approximate??

$2000 just for tyres.The 255 are scarce but you can still get them.
The rims could cost you up to $2000 a pair for tens. Don't know about the nines. Supply and demand. As stated by The Baron there are two stud patterns. The one I have shown are HQ.

Also ins't, relatively speaking the lower the profile the more expensive the tyre.
Also can i get away with a thicker profile tyre by cutting the guards for clearance???

Ie. Your first picture looks to be quite a low profile tyre and the second one with the larger 15 inch rim looks to have a larger profile.

Not sure how they price the tyres but I would think you could be correct here.
You should be able to fit a higher profile tyre no problems. There are a lot around.
Did you check out J & S Racing's car? 265 X 15's fill out the gaps nicely.
The first pic is a race slick the other is a 295/50 X15 which wouldn't fit under my car with flares. The tyre would rub on the rear edge of the flare.

#12 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:42 AM

Yea i don't mind the gold simmons either. Yea i don't know what stud pattern i will stay with.

Whats the difference between the two??
Also if i put disks on the back, lets say VN's can i retain the old stud pattern??

:blink: ryan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users